Outdoor dog ramps

Bundyburger

Has anyone put in a ramp for their older dogs to make it easier for them to get down stairs to go outside?

We have a 12yo kelpie x bc with arthritic hips (one doesn't stay in place properly) and compressed nerves in his spine after he fell down the back stairs in December.

We live on a hill so have stairs at the front and back. There's only 5 stairs to the back yard but it's been strongly recommended by his muscle therapist that we put a ramp in to make his life easier so he can avoid stairs.

Would love to see pics if anyone has had to do similar. 

We made one for my old dog (and pups). My house has a verandah and about 3 steps off it directly in front of the front door. My old girl was getting down without too much trouble (though it was often just leaping from the top) but if she wasn’t really concentrating she would often run out of push to get back up. We were able to build the ramp off the end of the verandah so the stairs remain as they were. I used the thick rubber mats from Bunnings glued over the top and it’s got plenty of grip, even when wet. The hardest part was training her to change her routine to going around to the ramp, and almost 12 months later I still have to block the steps off before I let her out - she’s good at remembering to come back via the ramp but not down. 

B2AC942E-D9BD-41BF-922C-0AE2E36BF957_zps

• Like 1

That looks really good! I thought about leaving the stairs but he would be the same and just keep using them. We also have a disabled family member who struggles with stairs so losing them completely would make it easier for him too. 

14 hours ago, RuralPug said:

If you are wanting your disabled family member to use the ramp handrails are essential (unless he is in a wheelchair of course) ! 

That is a great ramp ish!

Oh handrails would be a given!

DDD thats a great ramp. My kelpie would still launch down the stairs though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bundyburger said:

DDD thats a great ramp. My kelpie would still launch down the stairs though.

Perhaps make the side rails higher and block off the stairs.  Make it more like a race, maybe?  I’m off to Bunnings to get some marine carpet for mine as the oldies are slipping a bit and finding it harder to get purchase.  

• Like 1