does anyone know

My older mini schnauzer Elliot who is 6 has started standing still and looking up at the ceiling for no apparent reason.  On another doggy forum, another mini schnauzer was doing this and a comment was that it was a type of epilepsy.  I will be going to the vet with Elliot, but in the meantime can anyone enlighten me?  He has at times, become 'snappy' with his puppy housemate but no damage has been done.  This is probably due to the pup being in his face.  Other than that, he is happy to go to the park and is eating and drinking asusual.  I lost another boy in November at 10 yrs and frankly it has me scared to the core.

• Sad 2

This is out of left field, but could there be a mouse or possum or something like that in the roof?  Perhaps he can hear something you cant.  I know a lot of Australia has high mouse numbers at the moment

• Like 1

I like BDJ's theory - does your puppy also pay attention to the ceiling at those times (assuming that your puppy isn't hearing impaired)?

If they are looking up at the same time, it is definitely simply a noise that human ears will miss. (Dogs for instance can hear termites and bats as well as rodents and birds nesting in the roof cavity.)

If not, then do, as df suggested,. take a video of his action with you to the vet. And try to report to the vet anything that you think could be triggering the action. For instance, does it mostly happen just after he wakes from a nap? or a certain time after eating? or just after he jumps off furniture? or when the new puppy is getting extra attention? just after he finishes exercise? Any sort of observation like that would help the vet immensely.

• Like 1

Elliot was at the vet this morning and he has an eye infection for which she prescribed medication and she found that he had a

'stiff' back for which he had acupuncture.  I think he was reacting to the pup because of the pain.  Hopefully he will be back to normal very soon. 

• Like 5

On 4/21/2018 at 2:32 PM, twodoggies2001 said:

Elliot was at the vet this morning and he has an eye infection for which she prescribed medication and she found that he had a

'stiff' back for which he had acupuncture.  I think he was reacting to the pup because of the pain.  Hopefully he will be back to normal very soon. 

On 4/21/2018 at 11:00 AM, sandgrubber said:

Sounds like a mild and harmless focal seizure.  Yes, to be on the safe side, talk to your vet.

I

On 4/21/2018 at 11:00 AM, sandgrubber said:

Sounds like a mild and harmless focal seizure.  Yes, to be on the safe side, talk to your vet.

I'm glad to report that Elliot is much improved.  They eye medication which he needs until tomorrow seems to have cleared his eye and it looks like this was the cause of his pain.  He's back to his old self, rumbling and tumbling with the pup and has stopped the 'star gazing'.  It's all good.

• Like 2