Have your dogs inadvertently been useful.

m-j

15 hours ago, coogie said:

I think my dogs are broken. Last year when I had flu and could barely move my girl nicked my lunch that hubby had left, then my tissues, then as a final insult dribbled into my lemsip rendering it undrinkable. Both my Goons couldn’t care less if you are sick and will dement you off your deathbed so they can have a walk. Friends tell me how intuitive and caring their dogs are , mine just mercilessly noseboof the crap out of me for a snack, play, yard time, whatever. Sigh, Lassie they are not.

Mine are too elderly to “noseboof the crap out of me”, but they sure as hell ain’t Lassie either .    :laugh: :laugh:

• Haha 5

My beautiful girl Lakota saved someone I loved.  They tried to hang themselves in a shed and she grabbed their clothes and then finally the cord and pulled till it broke.  She didn't even like them :laugh:  She would often put herself in-between me and anyone she felt was threatening.  Funnily one day I was at obedience classes and there was an instructor who was always in everyones faces.  "Your dog is too fat", "your dog is too skinny" etc.  Right up within inches of your face and very loud and aggressive.  You learned to ignore it if you were there long enough (many left soon after joining as they were put off).  Well one day she came charging at me and Lakota just inserted herself between us an bared her teeth for a split second (I never did see her do this again).  Lakota has been gone a few years now and this instructor still gives me plenty of space :laugh:  

My girl Akayla was always "rescuing" people.  If a kid splashed too much, climbed a tree, whatever, she would oh so carefully pick them up by the shirt and remove them from the threat.  Parents were not always impressed!  She also chased off a burglar at my mums once.  They had got in through the back door and shut it (she was fine with someone entering the yard, very friendly but you were not allowed to touch certain things).  She of course knew exactly how to turn handles and let herself in after them.  The police thought it was hysterical!  They didn't steal anything after that fright.  She chased off a friend once who let themselves into my backyard.  They said they hadn't even noticed her sleeping under a bush until they picked up my mums dog.  She would also round up my mums little dogs if they got away.  My mum can't walk well and without any training Akayla would just know when she needed her and how.  

My current dogs are squishy in comparison but they help in other ways!  I know when I have been up too late painting because Jerry Lee will leave or if something scary is about to happen on tv.  His soft nature has won over several kids that were terrified of dogs.  He just knows and relaxes so they can run their hands over him.  Such a good boof.  Kyhri makes me laugh.  Whenever I make toast she cries like a giant baby.  Just when I am losing my cool with her she presses her face up against the nearest surface.  The crate, the pantry, my leg LOL.  Quite an interesting look with her teeth and lips smooshed up.  She will also play bow and bark if I raise my voice.  Or howl if I yell.  Here is to say I am becoming a more patient person :laugh:  Blaez when I lost my Lakota mourned terribly.  Kept me busy trying to help him. Sometimes we just sit together at her grave.  He just knows.  He has also won my eldest over with his gentle persuasion.  Aka lean lovingly against you and then roll as soon as you move for a belly rub.  She isn't a big animal person so its a big deal she feels comfortable with him.  

Oh and my youngest child thinks she is a dog so there is always that help :laugh:  She will talk to Kyhri for hours (or an ant for that matter).  Like HOURS.  That could be me she was talking to :rofl:

I honestly wouldn't know what to do without one of them in my life.  I mean it would be a whole lot less complicated but you know... :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My lot like to wake me up around 7am, they don't believe in sleep ins, Gilly just ignores them and doesn't get up until at least 9.

But the Fauves have a hard time at night chasing mice and rats, flying off the end of my bed, propelling themselves often off my legs!

They then slip and slide and loose all their momentum on the polished floors and said rodent escapes, so then they have to stay in one spot and bark at it for a goodly period of time, or when I throw something at them.

They also like to tell me loudly when the local feral cat is around and if anyone is walking anywhere in town, they believe, I think, that they think its their job to be extremely annoying.

Its an experience having two Fauves barking/screaming and a deaf dog, who cant hear himself, so screams as well.

As hounds their noise can be extremely bloody awful at times. No lovely woowooing, they sing.

• Haha 4