help with my dogs not getting along anymore

Hello Everyone

I would like to tell you about my two boys Chase and Jaxon and see if anyone could give me some advise that will help us get back to a happy family, just a quick back ground on both boys.

Chase is a 4 year old brindle English Staffy, my wife and I have had him since he was a pup. he is a little bit naughty, very independent , doesn't always listen to commands however with a treat he will relax his selective hearing and do as is told, chase loves to be inside on his bean bag or chair, he is not obedient off the leash. chase has not been desexed

Jaxon is our 3 year old English staffy, he is white with a little black patch over his left eye, we have also had him since a pup Jaxon will listen to every command I give him, he loves toys and especially the ball. Jaxon will do anything for the ball, he doesn't really care about treats, follows me everywhere and is extremely obedient off the leash. Jaxon has not been desexed

both dogs have been crate trained since pups, and to this day they are still crate trained. they sleep in the crates at night, and occasionally when guests come over they will go into the crate just until they calm down a bit.

both dogs are inside dogs, we have an acre property so lots of room to run around however they prefer to be laying by the fire watching TV. so here is the problem......... Jaxon has always seemed to be the more dominant dog of the two, up until about 6 months ago both dogs have never had a fight, tiff or any sign that they weren't going to get along. they have been both happy playing together, sleeping together and eating together. we noticed that Jaxon had hurt his paw (his jew claw got pulled out somehow) we took him to the vet for a check up, everything was ok and off home we went. the next day after I had left for work my wife called to say both dogs had a huge fight. no large or deep cuts, only small scratches and a whole lot of noise.

for the next week both dogs were at each other, we tried feeding them in separate rooms, outside, one at a time etc, but after each feed they would give each other stink eye and kick off again. this was a very stressful week as we were worried about their safety. so for the last 6 months we haven't been able to feed them unless by hand, this seems the only way they can eat without having another fight. Both dogs have seemed to sort them self out and were friends again, no fights but still hand feeding

however 2 months ago we moved to our ace property, the boys have been having a few scraps, about 10 in the last 2 months. we have taken toys off them, never get treats when we are not home and we have even made sure no dog receives attention more than the other. this week Jaxon hurt his back leg. I came home to see chase has had a fight with him again, now don't get me wrong jax also has attacked chase a couple of times. 

my wife and I have decided together to de sex the boys, I had spoken to vets in the past and I have had both opinions on de sexing them and keeping their parts. we feel that by de sexing them hopefully it will get rid of the testosterone, and stop the fighting. the only problem we have is we are not sure if this will stop the fighting, we have no children so our dogs are our family and all we want is for things to get back to the way they were. 

I would appreciate any feed back on the dogs behaviour, and if de sexing them will help or is there any techniques we can do to make things better? we are prepared to take time from work to stay at home and do any other training that may be required until things are back to normal. 

thanks again

Mick and Chelsea 

Desexing might help, it can in boys, but I think you would do best to get professional help. Once dogs have developed an issue with each other it can be difficult to resolve. 

I see you are in WA and someone here should be able to recommend a trainer or behaviouralist. Don’t go to just anyone, get some recommendations first. 

I think desexing will help take the edge off offended feelings. While desexing - general Vet check. You say jaxon has an injured leg? And last time he had an injured foot? He might well still be feeling tender and doesn’t have the patience for chase antics or even cuddles. While they’re recovering from desexing - have them separated to heal and get a behaviourist in to have a look around and propose some redmedial training to remind the dogs how to behave together. 

Are they sharing beds because they want to or not enough beds? Beds side by side can let them be near each other without the fed up one feeling crowded. 

thank you for the feed back Diva and Thistle, I will go down the path of de sexing the boys, I think I put to much of my own emotion into that side of things and should of done it sooner. both boys have their own seperate crates, they are pushed together and are in our bedroom at night. I will slide the crates apart tonight and see how they wake up in the morning.

I will also try to find a professional to come to the house and help with the boys to learn to get back together again. do you think the behaviourist will be able to get them to eat out of seperate bowls again?

with the operation, is there an advised time to keep them apart while they heal?

jax still has a sore foot, I think you may be correct in saying that he doesn't want chase annoying him at the moment, he is like me when I have a cold!

thank again for all the advise

Mick

yes my girl gets super cranky with my other dog when she is sore, and i have to remind myself she's not necessarily being mean - but she's sore and out of sorts and has less patience, so i need to run interference and distract my young bouncy one while she heals. and when he gets desexed this year, will do the same for him.

the behaviourist should be able to help you train them to eat out of different bowls. personally, i feed mine their dinner and breakfast in their crates so nobody does any attempted dinner-theft ;) 

the vet should be able to advise how long to keep them apart - especially since both will be healing so both feeling a bit tender. it is so hard to be patient when you are hurting!

Um, desexing them certainly won't hurt but  um.... bottom line they are terriers. Terriers hold grudges for a long long time.

I have had pairs that happily ran together no problem for years, then one day something started a scrap between them and they could never be allowed to be together ever since that day. (All desexed, by the way.)

It could be as simple as one was grumpy because the other went to the vet without him and snapped in jealousy - the other was cranky with pain and snapped right back - and then it was on for young and old. And now they both feel hard done by and each is likely to attack the other for very minor reasons.

So I suggest go right ahead and desex them - but be prepared in case that changes nothing, in which case a decent behaviorist who will visit you will be needed to sort stuff out, before they really hurt each other.