Collar for showing

Hi! We are about to attend only our second every show (and the first proper one that is RCA recognised) and I’m wondering about what collar and lead I should put on her. 

There seems to be a tendency to use a very heavy/large chain collar for Rottweilers from what  I’ve seen, and this is not what I use day to day. Does anyone have a collar they love to use for large breed dog when showing? Can I use a standard check chain? What alternatives?. Photos or links appreciated (my breeder tends to use the heavy version, so I’m thinking about what the allowed alternatives are) 

You can show on an ordinary check chain if you wish. As long as the dog is under control and not likely to break a light weight collar/lead.  Sometimes collars and lead are used as a bit of a fashion statement as well. I used to show my first girl on a gold snake chain for the look. I could have shown her on a piece of cotton but the chain looked so good on her.

Collars can cleverly be used to make optical illusions in the show ring if the dog's neck is not the best (too long for instance). A flashy collar can actually detract if you have an excellent topline, as it can make the dog's head look disconnected from the rest of them.

But unless you actually need to create an optical illusion, a collar and leash that blend with the dog's neck colour is ideal. For dogs that have a tuxedo white blaze, or different colour on their throat to the neck that is not going to happen LOL so a chain is probably best in those cases.

For a Rottie I would suggest a medium weight chain, or it yours has enough black on the throat, a black slip lead. As long as you have him under control, the most unobtrusive lead is the best.

There are those that seem to think that putting a heavy weight chain on their dog  makes it look more muscular - judges are NOT that stupid!

Thanks! I was hoping to just go with  medium weight chain, and in fact that is all I’ve been able to find to purchase in person (online possibilities are endless but I wasn’t sure if appropriate. Was very tempted by a “gold” snake chain style one which would look very pretty on her) . I’ve purchased a black lead. Was tempted by the black slip lead but it was more expensive and I wasn’t sure if was allowed. Will stick with what I have! 

I think my girl has an appropriately strong neck. A super chunky chain just looks dumb on her in my opinion!

• Like 1

Hi Debra, if you are referring to the RCV Champ Show this weekend, you will need a fur saver chain. These are the only chains exhibitors are permitted to show their dogs in at specialty level. Some judges permit martingales for babies.

The reason we use fursavers is so they can be locked off. In specialties the dogs are encourages to pull into the chain and we can have them choking themselves.

Don't panic, you should be able to buy or borrow one at the grounds. 

If you're planning on showing at specialty again, contact Tract Lane or Heidi Yule to purchase a suitable fur saver chain. 

Good luck and have fun 

• Like 1

If I'm wrong and you are referring to an all breeds show, then the lightest lead/collar set that you can control your dog on is ideal.

The two styles of shows are chalk n cheese in our breed and equipment is definitely different.

• Like 1