Urinating problems...something different

Stitch

A friends dog has an interesting problem.  It doesn't want to urinate when it is at home but will urinate when it is on a walk.  This is causing the dog to have ongoing UTI's as it is always licking itself so has been on multiple and ongoing courses of antibiotics.  I don't know if there is more to it than that but I do know it has been to the vet frequently.

I have always taught my dogs to urinate on command and so I was wondering if she was able to teach her dog to do this it might be a way for her dog to learn to urinate normally?

My thoughts on it were that if she was consistent enough in teaching the dog to urinate when it was on a walk then maybe eventually she could teach it to urinate on command at home....then that might progress to it urinating at home by itself.

Has anyone else heard of a dog that has behaved like this?  and if you have, was anyone able to help?

Female dog I assume? What substrates does she have available at home? Is it a recent problem, and if so what has changed in the environment? One of mine will only go on grass. She would burst before she would urinate on concrete or paving.  If the dog doesn’t have the surface she thinks is right available at home it might be a cause. Otherwise I agree putting urination on cue might help. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, I will have to ask her about that one.  I didn't think about the surface but you are right, mine won't urinate on concrete either unless there is a really good smell on it....and yes it is a female.  It follows that if the surface wasn't right then the dog may have developed this problem over time.   I will ask.

Yes have known dogs whose owners where so pedantic about toileting at home they taught there dog that walks was for toileting not the yard especially those who have concrete,wooden decks,false lawn,little court yards .
Dogs become afraid of toileting at home because they where told off for doing so or if they showed the "signs" of needing to toilet lead attached asap & out for a walk .
Cranberry tablets are great,making sure the vet is doing more than just handing out meds.Some breeds can be predisposed to stones & if her privates are fluffy keeping them clean a must ,some bitches literally squat so low there in there own pee .
If her privates are constantly inflammed from licking/burning the area needs treating ,also diet can play a factor .

• Like 1