MDBA pups + shows?!

PUREnvy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if MDBA pedigree pups can participate in dog shows? 

I have contacted Dogs Queensland who advised they cannot participate in ANKC dog shows and are not eligible to be reregistered with Dogs Queensland. 

I’m not against Dogs Queensland registered breeders or anything but I also don’t want to rule out MDBA breeders either. 

New to the the whole dog show side of things and having a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around it all. 

Cannot seem to locate any any other dog shows outside of ANKC, if there even are any?? 

The advice you have received from Dogs QLD is correct. Only ANKC pedigreed dogs are allowed to participate in ANKC conformation shows. Doesn’t stop you from competing from many dog sports as an Associate though - except for breed specific sports such as retrieving or field trials. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What TSD says is true.

Also you need to know that if your Associate dog with ANKC is not registered with  ANKC  (that does not include MDBA) it must be desexed before it can be accepted as an Associate (except for herding trials - see list below*). The other thing to know if you want to compete in performance is that some ANKC state affiliates (NSW for sure, I'm not sure which others) won't allow you to have dual membership in ANKC at the same time as unrecognised registries (such as MDBA). Check with DogsQld on that.

ANKC is the only body whose affiliates regularly hold all breed confirmation shows - however, some of the breeds in development hold their own confirmation shows (no choice as they are not yet entitled to exhibition at ANKC dogs shows. ) Oh, and I believe the association of pet breeders/puppy farmers or whatever it is called either held one earlier this year in SA or was planning to, but I don't know where they planned to get judges or anything?

Bottom line - if you want your dog to compete in conformation showing towards its championship, ANKC is the way to go. For dog sports however, as long as your non-ANKC dog is desexed it will be welcome in obedience, agility, etc. etc.

*Here is a list of the accepted working dog registries etc. for herding. If your dog is registered with one of these it won't need to be desexed prior to being registered as an Associate. (I think this list might be a bit out of date, as White Swiss Shepherds are still there but are now entitled to full ANKC registration.)

Edited by RuralPug
fat finger typos (sigh)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1