Drontal side effects..

Has anyone's dogs had side effects after giving them a Drontal worming tablet?

We gave Nugget one last week, and a couple hours later he turned into into a manic mess! He wouldn't come to me, or let me put on his collar for a walk, he just ran away from me, absolutely would not come on my lap or be cuddled, he just paced and paced. He wouldn't sit still or lie down for more than a minute, he was up and down on our bed ALL night, none of us got any sleep that night. But the worse thing was that he tried jumping out of the car window as we were driving along. All of the things I mentioned  are things he would never normally do!

We usually use Advocate, and he gets a tiny 1/4 worming pill for the the worm Advocate doesn't cover , I can't remember now which one.. He had the usual worming tablets from the vet when he was teeny tiny (He is 6mths old now), and never had this problem then. This was before i started using Advocate.

My hubby got the tablet from the vet, he was weighed there and was 5.8kgs, on the pack it said 10kgs. Did he perhaps get an over dose?

When i googled Drontal side effects, many posts came up stating similar stories of what i experienced.

When I used to foster puppies for rescue, we learned really quickly that Drontal can be really hard on their tummies... so we switched to Canex or Fenpral, as they were much kinder to the system.

I've never had one go manic on it though...

T.

• Like 1

Please ring Bayer and report it as a side effect - it IS actually one I've heard about - I work in a clinic and reported the reaction, we had about 3 dogs do it. The company takes it very seriously and will take all the details off you. The correct dose would of been 3/4 of a tablet as if the dog is over 5kg a half wouldn't be enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karly101 said:

Please ring Bayer and report it as a side effect - it IS actually one I've heard about - I work in a clinic and reported the reaction, we had about 3 dogs do it. The company takes it very seriously and will take all the details off you. The correct dose would of been 3/4 of a tablet as if the dog is over 5kg a half wouldn't be enough. 

Yes, i will contact them. I just looked at the dosage instructions, and 1 whole tablet is for a 10kg dog!! He got way too much! The vet should have told hubby the exact dosage. I'm so angry right now.

Weird - I wonder why vet didn't sell hubby two of the small dog dose tablets instead of one of the medium ones. When you email or write to Bayer, send a copy to your vet. Maybe he will stock the small dog Drontal tablets as well in future.

I always use 2 x small dog tabs if for dogs over 3kg and under 7.5 kilo. Over 7.5kg and up to 10kg I use a 10kg tablet.  Over 10 kg I juggle medium plus small as necessary. I rarely need to buy the 35kg ones these days. 

Milbemax I will use for bubs, but avoid it for adults.

Edited by RuralPug
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I gave my 6 month old puppy Drontal Allwormer last night. She weighs 6.5 kgs and the dose was for to 5 to 10 kg weight range. A few hours after I gave her the Drontal she became terribly agitated. When I put her in her crate to sleep, at around 9.30, she kept barking and whining, and could not settle. I tried sitting up with her. She was running all round the place, and seemed afraid of me. She had never behaved like this before. I took her to the after hours vet at around midnight. By then she was shivering. The vet said she had symptoms of poisoning. Having ruled out other possible causes, the vet agreed her symptoms had probably been caused by the Drontal. I won't be giving it to her again.

• Sad 3

Drontal is pretty harsh on the gut when it does it's thing... but it does actually have a pretty wide therapeutic index, meaning that overdosing is not really all that likely unless you dosed at 2-3+ times the advised dosage rate. Maybe next time give 3/4 tablet for at 6.5kg dog...

I've actually seen pups die after being given Drontal, but they also had very high worm burdens, so the shock to the system would have been pretty high there.

If your dog has had a bad reaction to Drontal, I'd insist on an allwormer that is kinder to the system (but just as effective) like Fenpral or Canex tablets.

T.

• Like 1

We tell our puppy owners no matter what the product or vaccination they decide to use ( we give a list ) to only give in the morning and on the weekend so ideally Saturday,If a reaction occurs vets are open and it’s daylight hrs .

Many use the products and head off to work .

We use drontal and never had issues but the amount given is correct to wright not just a tablet .

We have used other brands with no issues either but reactions can occur with any product that’s a chemical 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

My little Finn is 14 weeks old and tested positive for whip worms. The vet gave him 2-27 mg tabs. He’s been manic all day. I have been worried sick that he might have a heart attack or choke himself while we went out to try to walk off the effects. It’s now 15-1/2 hours after dosing and he’s finally settled down. I’ll report to Bayer tomorrow.