Claratyne & evening primrose dosage rates

Hey guys :) 

Our 7mth old Siberian husky pup has a suspected allergy to yeast and possibly grass as well  (have taken him off dry food) and have been recommended to try him on claratyne & evening primrose - just after dosage amounts for him (25kg)

thanks guys :)

Hi Samantha, and welcome to the forum, :)

Did your vet advise giving him the Claratyne?  They should be able to tell you the correct dosage. 

If not, I'd definitely get him checked by a vet, they can check out any allergies and give out the correct medication if any is needed.

Self dosing of human meds for dogs is a bit of a minefield, and can be lethal because the amounts differ, much better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

He’s been to the vet many times.... got antibiotics and then steroids which haven’t cleared it up and they can’t offer me any other options ::/ a vet friend suggested claratyne & was looking for the dosage rates but hasn’t gotten back to me yet so just thought someone here might know - thankyou anyway :)

On 4/27/2018 at 8:37 PM, Samantha23 said:

He’s been to the vet many times.... got antibiotics and then steroids which haven’t cleared it up and they can’t offer me any other options ::/ a vet friend suggested claratyne & was looking for the dosage rates but hasn’t gotten back to me yet so just thought someone here might know - thankyou anyway :)

Then ask your vet friend.  It's crazy to ask for dosage recommendations from unknown people on the internet.  Ok... there are some meds, like livestock ivomectin used for heartworm prevention, that are widely advocated online, with good scientific support (such as equivalent dosage with the tested and approved dog meds).  This is a different kettle of fish.

Oops.  I hadn't realized claradyne was a common antihistamine...for which dosage charts are available.

Edited by sandgrubber
Correction

This chart has been around for years Antihistamine Dose Chart.pdf download from animalclinic.com.au

I'd also start only on the antihistamine before adding the EPO, just so you know if Claratyne alone works. (or try EPO first on it's own)

Remember everything, even natural remedies can have side effects. So always check with your vet first. And never start a new treatment at 6pm on a Sunday! :) 

• Like 3

Loratadine is dosed in dogs at 0.1 mg per pound to 0.55 mg per pound of body weight (0.25 to 1.1 mg/kg) once daily or divided twice daily. Another way that loratadine is dosed in dogs is by the total dose. For example, most dogs will receive 5 to 10 mg (total dose) orally one to two times daily (every 12 to 24 hours). Small dogs may receive 5 mg per dog once daily, medium sized dogs 10 mg per dog once daily, and large dogs may get up to 10 mg per dog twice daily.

Source: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/loratadine-claritin-alavert-for-dogs-and-cats/

It's always good to liaise with your Vet or also research any other drug interactions if you have them on anything else.

Our dog is 22kgs and she suffers allergies too. Vets run the normal antibiotic and steroid routine but it's not a long term solution, and imo neither are antihistamines. I dose our dog when it appears she is having a flare up. Have tried both Loratadine and Cetirizine and to be honest neither pull up the reaction as well as an oral steroid. At the peak of a flare up I have dosed her 10mg every 12 hours, but it's never for expended periods, and you also have to understand each animal can react differently.

If you're not going to work with a Vet re dosage I'd at least suggest starting at a lower dose.