Pembroke Welsh Corgi Breeders - Rude Breeders

JNinness

For a while I've been vigorously searching for a way to get a corgi puppy. I was introduced to dogzonline. I emailed a few breeders and some actually replied. One of which sent me information in order to contact them early in that month. I did that and I was met with a person who spoke down to me and quite snobbishly rejected my enquiry. I understand that you may receive many enquiries and many people are after a corgi puppy. But what is someone supposed to do if they want one? Its that bad that I refrain from calling ANY of these breeders because I'm concerned that I will be dealt with rudely or just told to get lost because "I get so many enquiries my computer gets clogged up". That is no excuse to reply to any customers in a rude tone. If you put your contact information on dogzonline, I think you should accept that people are going to try and contact you, if theres no possibility to can offer that person a puppy, well then POLITELY explain. 

If anyone can assist me in my search for a corgi puppy, any polite help will be appreciated. 

I had a quick look and found the scammers out there!

be very careful, there is a site called Truebuy.com.au that has Corgi pups advertised by this guy...

EMAIL ME AT [email protected] FOR MORE PICTURES AND INFO.

when I Googled the above I came across this which features his email address https://perfectpets.com.au/l/For Sale/dogs/shih-tzu/scam-alert-adorable-young-male-and-female-shih-tzu-pups/NSW/1390

he has millions of pups and cats for sale

https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=9ffoWoKFDoSk8AXQqqe4Bg&q=EMAIL+ME+AT+MBULEBRIAN%40GMAIL.COM+FOR+MORE+PICTURES+AND+INFO.&oq=EMAIL+ME+AT+MBULEBRIAN%40GMAIL.COM+FOR+MORE+PICTURES+AND+INFO.&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.77850.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.k1EpXx8k5T8

A suggestion...go to dog shows and talk to breeders...it really will help, there is a show at the Corowa & District Kennel Club on the 5th and there are 6 Corgis entered.

The Event Diary - All Events (NSW) is here (and if you click the BN it shows the Breed Numbers Available)so you can go to shows that have Corgis https://www.dogzonline.com.au/event-diary/list.asp?state=NSW

Put aside weekends and follow the show circuit, make it a weekend holiday/camping trip for a few months, most of the grounds have camping facilities nearby and it'll be fun

Really you are not going to contact the other breeders because you think one was rude? 

Just contact them and see what happens. You will most likely have to satisfy some very indepth questioning to be considered for a pup.

• Like 2

You know this happens a lot , I know breeders are protective of their dogs but no wonder people go to petshops . There seems to be a way to approach breeders but no one tells joe public that . 

They are a difficult breed to get , my neighbours waited ages to get another cardigan after they lost theirs and ended up driving interstate for a pup after being on a long wait list . 

Try asking about going on a wait list and giving them as much info about your home as possible . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I actually think the tone of the OP post is rude so chances are if approaching breeders aka humans with the same tone then its not going to end well .There is no special  way to approach breeders BUT many potential people often dont like the answers if told there is a waitlist & you can't guarantee if there will be a pup for them .

Many of the emails we get go to junk mail due to no headings,weird headings or strange hotmail addresses so i can guarantee we don't always reply to everyone & just because someone sent an email doesn't mean it arrives at the other end .
Like many we are getting NBN work done in our area & it has affected our internet & in the past have had no internet ,if no reply then send another polite email or phone .Contact the breed clubs & make a relationship with a breeder .You don't find a way to get a pup you create a relationship to ensure the breeder is the right one for you & the breeder will ensure you are the right person for a dog & a corgi
If your wanting a set sex/colour then that will limit choices greatly

Corgis are not mass produced,you need to put your name down & wait .If your not prepared to wait then that issue is up too you .

I would suggest a wait time of 12 months or more very normal .

As to people going to pet shops that to me says more about people not being serious about there future friend or expecting a pup now because there entitled to one..It also says they dont care where it came from or the living conditions plus often they can buy on credit card

I guess it comes down to two sides of the story

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 4

How badly do you want a pup of a particular breed?

If you act entitled, like a customer shopping for a lounge suite, you are not doing yourself any favours. Good breeders are looking for people who are willing to love and value and care for their excess puppies, not for shoppers. People seeking bargains or flavour of the month are not likely to be approved. People who have done their research on the breed and approach breeders politely asking to go on a waiting list are much more likely to end up with a nice pup.

Make the effort to attend dog shows in your state and meet and talk to breeders. In many cases, that will send you to the top of the waiting list because you have shown that you care enough to make an effort.

Do NOT approach breeders with the attitude that the customer is always right. Good breeders are not looking for customers, but for people worthy to value and care for their puppies.

Edited by RuralPug
  • Like 6

I hate contacting breeders. Some are lovely, some never respond, some are wildly unhelpful, and some are rude and condescending. Rescue is the same. Given I always compose an e-mail that is polite and details what I am looking for in a dog and asks if their breed/rescue dog might suit me, I have little idea what is likely to trigger someone to be unpleasant. So, the uncertainty makes me anxious. Looking for a dog is an emotional thing. Sometimes even a polite "the dog you are interested in has already found a home" is a bit painful, especially when it's the 15th answer you've got like that.

• Like 4

Like every other situation in life, there's 2 sides to the breeder/buyer story.

I'm looking for a couple of pups, and have been contacting a few breeders just to get myself on their radar. I know that I'm a unique type of person, you either hate me or,, well ....lets not go there:)

I contact breeders via email because I have this thing about calling people out of the blue - I just feel like a telemarketer when I call a breeder looking for information. I tend to imagine that I'm going to interrupt them while they're performing a critical task and that they'll have such a negative  first impression of me that they'll post on the super secret breeders dark web forum banning me from ever owning a dog.

Getting back to my special type of uniqueness, I'm weird. Seriously weird. When I send an email I tend to start of with no nonsense service writing (1. I'm looking for a couple of pups. 2. I prefer working and sporting breeds 3. They should be tall enough that when they sit at the heel position I can rub their head without bending at the waist 4. I live on a fully fenced 1/4 acre...etc) and then I roll into manic puppy man mode ( I love puppies, I like to sniff puppies, and cuddle puppies. When I die , I want to be  wrapped in liver strips, deposited on a tiled floor and have someone send in 1 million puppies to eat the liver and my body, they'll love my bones, it's way better than being cremated dontya think?)

I fully understand why some breeders choose not to reply to my emails ( I wouldn't), but to be honest, if they're advertising, they're a business. As a business, you should reply to all enquiries, even if you get contacted by manic puppy man. They don't have to reply in the positive, just a polite version of "oh my god, your not getting your hands on my puppies!" would suffice.

On the other side of the coin, some breeders are supercillious prats. They exist in the same ratio as their prat bretheren in the general public. That's life. They can be very offensive if they even bother to reply to an enquiry, carrying on as if they're some sort of super being because their bitch shagged a dog and made puppies. Some breeders think they're selling Pagani's not puppies, while others (the majority) are happy to sell Holdens, as long as those Holdens are sound and their new owners know how to drive a manual, take it to the local garage for routine oil changes, and back to the dealer for a regular wash, wax and polish :)

I'm the worlds worst prospective puppy purchaser,  I can live with that, and when I find the right breeder (who's selling high end Holdens,) I'll know that I've made a friend, not a business acquaintance :)

I think what I was trying to say is that dog people are, 99% of the time, good people and on the same page, but of course theirs some absolute tossers on both sides of the fence, but that's the same in all walks of life.

Smokey

P.S. did I mention that I love puppies?

Edited by SmokeyR67
  • Haha 6

Yes well that is definitely a weirdish email to send, I suspect you won't be getting any replies! 

I must admit I was surprised to read you're still after two puppies, even after all the recommendations against in your thread from a while back? 

Edited by Roova
  • Like 2

Hi Roova,

It's kind of weird that you remember me, but also bit flattering, thank you :)

Obviously that's not a verbatim transcript of all of my emails to breeders, I may have a tendency exaggerate my foibles when posting in the forums, lets say its about 30% accurate, 80% exaggerated and 10% copied from twitter profiles.

You'd be surprised at the positive replies my emails get from breeders( I know I am:) ) I explain my experience, my goals, my methods and my love for Leonard Cohen and almost immediately we've bridged the breeder/buyer gap...JFK would be envious of our detente :)  Unfortunately nature has it's own ideas, and despite our best efforts none of the Australian and New Zealand breeders have been able to satisfy my exacting puppy requirements, so I'm having to look further ashore - Viva Manitoba!

Anyhow, back on topic, some breeders are tossers, some buyers are wankers, but in the end the dog community has the same wanker/tosser ratio as the rest of the worlds population ;)

Edited by SmokeyR67
misplaced semi colon
  • Like 3

Why when he wants purebred ? , bit condescending .

might be a bit out there , made me laugh , but might put breeders off . 

I’m pretty average , fostered dogs for years and had owned the breed I was after , but still I got no replies to all the emails I sent breeders . Thanks to Dol I got pointed in the right direction and now have just got my second dog after a long wait for the right one . 

It’s a minefield and you get nice breeders and up themselves Pratt’s . 

Edited by juice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it odd that people advise buyers to go to a dog show to get a breeder to talk to them. In my experience shows are busy places, if you’re not used to them you won’t know when to approach people, most of the time they are sitting watching their friends go round even if they’re not actively prepping to go in themselves so it’s not really a conductive environment to be having a chat and expressing interest in a pup. I’ve wandered over to the dog arena a number of times when I’m at shows, I’ve got no idea how they run the things it is all a bit confusing, and it’s rare to get a polite response to a “hello” in my experience. I know myself showing I’m either getting the horse prepped and ready, taking it in the ring, having a short break and then packing up to go home. It’s a nice idea to get buyers to go chat to a bunch of breeders in the one place but it only works if everyone is on the same page. If breeders really want to do it this way at least let people know when would be the best time to approach people, eg lunchtime or something like that. 

I have also been seeing an increase in generally rude behaviour from people I would normally consider “professional” people, business owners or individuals that you would expect to return a call or answer a message, people just don’t seem to want to bother anymore. It’s really not that hard to generate a polite generic reply either to ask for more info or inform people you don’t have any suitable pups at the moment, then just copy and paste it each time. 

Getting a new pup should be a great experience, it shouldn’t feel like pulling teeth without anaesthetic. 

• Like 4

I see your point W&H, I should have written to introduce yourself and ask when it would be a good time to phone and have a chat about buying a pup and where would be a good time to talk to breeders

• Like 1

The whole experience dealing with breeders can be very daunting especially if it’s a breed you haven’t owned before.

I have noticed certain breeds seem to be worse than others, over the years I’ve never had an issue dealing with poodle breeders (and a couple of other large breeds) however at one stage we wanted a different small breed, I contacted numerous breeders and either they didn’t reply or they were straight out rude and because we had kids we were apparently unsuitable owners.

After trying for a few months we gave up and bought a cross of this particular breed, the experience was so bad if it had of been the first time to deal with breeders I probably would not own another pure bred dog.

If breeders want people to buy their dogs/pups they need to be approachable and give people a chance, not just write someone off in one sentence.

It is still customer service and often it is seriously lacking.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Boronia said:

I see your point W&H, I should have written to introduce yourself and ask when it would be a good time to phone and have a chat about buying a pup and where would be a good time to talk to breeders

I wasn’t meaning to single out your post Boronia :) I’ve seen it mentioned heaps of times that people should go to shows to meet breeders, I think more breed clubs should have fun days where people can meet the breed and chat in a setting that is less formal and less stressful. :) 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

@SmokeyR67  PAGANI   a car worth  $1.4 million, what a waste of money.

Maybe you should look for pups in a  shelter  or  rescue  and get your hands on them, take them for a walk & play

Hi Pandi,

A Pagani is only a waste of money if you can't afford it :)

I do volunteer with an animal rescue organisation, nothing special, just hosing out the runs and the like, but I think I'm a bit too soft for the job.

After I've finished my shift, on the drive home, I have to stop and have a bit of a cry. How can I pick one from all those amazing souls? Sometimes I wish that I could experience the green dream.

• Like 1

I hated puppy hunting, even with the nice breeders I like, it was very stressful :( and I was completely turned off shows, from the first visit I could hear people in nearby stands gossiping about other show people - and not in a like, politely suggesting against a dodgy breeder chat -  it was just show gossip. But...I could hear it, out in the open. 

I had my best luck, out of all things, with just calling up and saying i was interested in a puppy from them and if they had time to talk or when we might be able to talk/meet. They key, consistently across all, was to ask about the dogs and let them ramble on and on in stories ;) i don't mind listening to dog stories so that bit was fun. Also meeting the dogs, with my dog. Much more organic and could address any concerns quickly.

Have you joined the Corgi Down Undet facebook group? Not the page, the community group? I see people in the ESS one asking for help getting a puppy there and they seem to meet with a lot of success faster than I did with the "meet everyone with opening email/show/multiple methods in lead up to the litter  that might not even have enough puppies" method.

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 2