Tick Medications

Hi all,

I will be moving from Perth at the end of this year to the South Coast of NSW which I understand is tick central.

Just wondering what people are using/recommend for Paralysis Tick prevention.

As I see it my choices are NexGard/Bravecto tablets or Advantix/Frontline Spot-ons .......or nothing :o

I have tried my dog on Nexgard previously and did not seem to have any adverse reactions - however, the negative experiences of others with these new oral medications makes me a little catious about using long time(also the unknowns with new medications). However, I have also had family members dogs die from these ticks, so I know they are no joke.

Any recommendations/feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

I haven't lived in a heavy tick area (though we do have some down here, but not yet in the proportions that we need to use continuous protection.)  But when I've travelled with my Border Collies, I have in the past used Advantix spot on (but only after leaving home ... can't use that if you have cats who might get it), and the last trip, I did use Nexgard instead, on the recommendation of my trusted vets - I only needed a few weeks.

Some people are using collars - but my two wrestle and tend to chew collars.

I'm sure more locals/experienced people will be along ... but whatever you use, do remember that you really need to do daily searches as well, especially if the dog has been in likely tick areas of long grass, bush etc.

• Like 1

Definitely tick central in south coast and not worth the risk of no protection IMO. The thing to remember about advantix is that it needs to be applied every 2 weeks for ticks. Your current vet or new vet may have a recommendation for your dog. Remember too that it’s a bit of a puzzle to be put together with intestinal worms, heartworm, fleas. What product you select for some of these things may affect your choices for another.

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1

I used Bravecto for years on a girl who is prone to seizures...and can't tolerate many spot-ons.  No probs and that 3 mo dosage requirements is great.  I'm now in NZ... using no tick meds, haven't seen a single tick. 

There may be some problem with Bravecto, but there was unquestionably a smear campaign against it.

Snopes.com rates the stories about Bravecto as "unproven".

Edited by sandgrubber
Added reference
  • Like 1

I have been using Nexgard for years with my two border collies. I live in a bad area for ticks.  They have never had an adverse reaction to it, I havn't seen a tick on them since I started using it & I don't have to keep them out of the water for four days a month like I did when they were on Advantix.

• Thanks 1

I live on the South Coast of NSW and use Nexgard and haven't had any problems.  In the more than 5 years I have been here the dogs have only had one tick and I was using a tick collar at the time.  

During peak tick season we don't frequent areas with long grass and bush.  Ticks like humid, hot weather.  This summer has been dry so not a lot of ticks around, thankfully.

There is also a new tick preventative collar called Seresto that has no smell.  I use one on the cat (off label for ticks here but not in the US) but the yard is cat safe so he doesn't get out.  The neighbour's cat wanders though and he has had a paralysis tick this summer.

I have used Nexgard spectra for my current dog- Northern Rivers as we are in tick country up here.

We see tick paralysis all year round here,more this winter then summer as it happens(less people using preventatives in winter!)

I work in a vets the only medications I trust to work are the nexgard's and Bravecto. Advantix is an option but washes off to easily here by the coast and needs to be applied every 2 weeks so I dont find it very practical, Also cannot be used on the dog if you have cats as its very toxic to them. I've heard of tick paralysis in dogs wearing all the tick collar brands including seresto.

I've also seen 19 live ticks pulled off a dog, with active tick paralysis and who had been tick bathed the day before so not a believer in the tick baths anymore.

Horrible creatures ticks!

I use Seresto collar off label for my cat,check her daily and am considering trying bravecto(still off label in australia) if she has issues.... but its got a much higher report of issues in cats versus dogs so holding out for now.

• Like 1