Help with doberman breeder

Hi everyone im new to the forum here :) im currently looking around for a good doberman breeder. I have so far contacted one breeder who has a litter due early may asking price $3k pups are microchipped/vet checked/pedigreed/vaccinated. 

Both parents are registered ANKC. I couldn't find any info on the parents but further down the family tree i was able to find more information. My question is how to do i tell is this is a responsible breeder? Is 3k abit high for the pups? As this is my first purebred dog i have done my research on the breed and found this to be a good match for my family, i want a dog that i can work for protection but before i purchase i want to make sure im spending money on good breeding. 

Bloodlines:

Mom: "get ready for harper"

Moms sire: "thor del nasi"

Moms dam: "get ready for fara"

Dad: "game on australian dream"

Dads sire: " dragoondonner von hohenenzollern

Dads dam: "great de badea gheo"

Thankyou to anyone who takes the time to reply :) kind regards Sheridan. 

I noted the Dad "Game on Australian Dream" is up for sale, here.  The breeder breeds Shar Pei though, so not sure about that.  The bloodlines seem good (according to Google) but I'd want to know what the Mum/Dad are used for, have they been shown, do they breed specifically show lines or working dogs?  What health testing have they had?  I'm sure someone experienced with Dobes will be along soon with more info.  Welcome to the forum, and  great job on doing your research first.

The Doberman Club of NSW has a lot of excellent information for prospective buyers. Their health issues page especially is informative and gives you a base to question the breeder about health testing.

You haven't stated if you are looking for a pet from good healthy lines or if you are seeking a performance dog, security(working line) dog or a show/breeding dog. The health testing should be paramount in any of those categories, but after that you could be looking for different attributes.  
Edited to add: sorry, I hadn't properly read your post. Looking for a security dog - look for breeders who have successfully bred police and military dogs and have bred high scoring dogs in obedience.

Edited by RuralPug

If you want to get a dog to do protection work get a malinois.

there arent suitable dobermanns in Australia, even those from working lines. Many will tell you that im incorrect but if you want a good dog for protection working line malinois is the way to go.

if your dog is to be a pet then go for a reputable show breeder that does something with their dogs and dogs have titles. I mean parents have titles, not dogs 3 generations back. 

Show, obedience, tracking, agility type titles. Someone that doesnt run their breeding on one famous dog in the pedigree from long ago.

and then there is health testing too

its a massive subject, feel free to PM me kennel names and i can tell you if and what i think.

Edited by MonElite
  • Like 4