Do dogs ever die peacefully in their sleep?

Jarrah hits 14 in August.  She sleeps more and more heavily, and in the back of my mind I keep imagining that some day she won't wake up.  I don't wish for her passing, but I hope she will eventually just not wake up rather than going through the pain and trauma of some awful disease.  

In these forums we often hear about having to give him/her his/her wings but rarely hear about dogs dying peacefully in their sleep.

Does it happen?  

• Like 1

Yes it does. Twice I've had seniors pass in their sleep - actually quite a shock in both cases, because neither was unwell.  The first time, the vet told me that the heart had just given out. I assumed it was the same several years later when it happened to another. Both were 15.

Over the last 60 years I've lost count of the ones that had to be assisted when their time came. Their lives are just too short.

Edited by RuralPug
  • Sad 1

I imagine most dogs throughout the world die “in their sleep” or through accidents and other causes --- and hardly peacefully.  The difference in first world counties is that we have access to medicines and treatments that keep them fit and well until the time comes when the medicines don’t work and we are able to help them into the hereafter.   

But that isn’t what you are asking, I understand, and understand your wishes for Jarra.  There are currently 5 geriatrics in this home, one with two legs and four with four :).  I would like to think that we could all go off in our sleep, but I doubt that will happen.  

I have heard of people coming home to find their dog still “asleep” in his or her basket only to discover that the dog has actually passed away, but it hasn’t happened to any of mine.  

• Like 2

As Gilly has turned 21 now I wake up every morning wondering if he is still with me.

I hope with all my heart he goes in his sleep under the doona walm and happy.

But my experience with many old dogs I have never had one to pass in their sleep. I have had them tell me its time though.

I hope he goes in his sleep, because Fi and I have known him all his 21 years and it will be just as hard for her as me to take him to the vet.

But at the moment he is playing with Cedro in the hallway so he isn't ready yet!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our German Shepherd, Keiran,  looked like he died in his sleep, but I suspect he had a heart attack while laying in his outside bed. 15 minutes earlier he was at the front door making a weird coughing sound that made me think he wanted to go out for a drink and a wee. So we let him out.

15 minutes later my husband went out the back to call him inside and found him laying in his bed. He looked asleep on his side, but he was gone. He was 10 and left a huge hole in our family. In fact, i couldn't have another German Shepherd's after his passing. We moved on to labs.  Our first lab passed in 2011 a week before his 14th birthday; we made the decision that it was time. It broke my heart saying goodbye and i felt guilty taking his life away even though I knew it was the right thing to do. His body was failing him. From those two experiences, i can say that the easier experience was not having to make 'that' decision but i know that i may well have to make the same decision again in the future since we now have two dogs and i don't think it's common for dogs to die of old age in their sleep.

• Like 1

I was with Scout when he had a massive heart attack and died in my arms 2 months ago.  He had been sleeping on and off for three hours, then made a whimpering noise, then the heart attack happened and he passed - all in a span of maybe 2 minutes.  At the time he was having his heart attack he was out of it, his body was going through the motions.  So yes I think they do pass somewhat peacefully - he wasn't thrashing around or anything like that.  In fact I wasn't sure he had actually passed until I checked his vitals.

• Like 1

Trouble is today as your dog gets to the geriatric stage anyone spotting it is a risk they will phone the grim reaper (rspca) heard so many stories of devastated familes having their aged pet taken and euthanased 'for its best interests', make sure that you keep them out of sight of Joe public. 

Our very aged Indi died in his sleep, I hope his equally aged granddaughter has the same privilege, she sleeps so soundly could qualify as sleeps like the dead 

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, asal said:

Trouble is today as your dog gets to the geriatric stage anyone spotting it is a risk they will phone the grim reaper (rspca) heard so many stories of devastated familes having their aged pet taken and euthanased 'for its best interests', make sure that you keep them out of sight of Joe public. 

Our very aged Indi died in his sleep, I hope his equally aged granddaughter has the same privilege, she sleeps so soundly could qualify as sleeps like the dead 

Yes :( have heard of this also happening...right around the country.

Gilly hasn't needed a vet for most of his life, he hates the vet. What I have done before with Anna, Fi takes me and she has a van so we sit in the van outside the vets surgery and we do it there. That way dog isn't stressed. When It was Annas turn the vet said she went very fast so she was ready to go even though she was only 7 she was very ill.

Every morning I have to wake Gilly up just to see he is still with me, he breathes so gently its hard to tell.

• Like 1