Alternative to a "groodle"

kamuzz

Surprised no one has mentioned Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers!

Such a perfect fun loving dog. We had 2 males who loved each other dearly. Lost one sadly but now on the hunt for another. 

• Like 2

On 27/05/2018 at 8:25 PM, JulesP said:

A friend didn't like poodles either. She got a poodle cross. 

Then we saw some standards in a shaggy clip and she loved them. 

There is not guarantee what temperament they are going to have as they are mutts. I've dealt with heaps of them btw as a trainer and groomer. Some even have thin muzzles so no guarantee what face shape you are going to get. 

I love standard poodles, my mum had Tillbrook Le Aigleon or something like that, I remember she said she was named little eagle in french, that was 1971

awesome amazing girl.

mum loved to spend hours grooming and clipping her and Tilly just loved to lie there and be pampered for as long as mum took to get her looking beautiful, she was always in a lamb clip.

her most noteworthy incidents aside from empeccable manners and obedience was the day a lady door knocker spotted mum in the back yard and let herself in and tapped mum on the shoulder.  mum got such a fright she screamed, Tilly was off that grooming table so fast the women didnt know what hit her as tilly knocked her to the the ground and stood on her for scaring mum.

She became legend the day she  was spotted stopping my friends son from getting into the pool, he and nicked outside without anyone noticing he was missing. first time he did we heard him crying and found him at the foot of the stairs with Tilly holding his arm and would not let go until his mum picked him up and took him inside.

half an hour later it happened again. 

we all wondered why Tilly was doing this. but apart from slobber on his arm there wasnt a mark.

also we decided to keep a closer eye on him and sure enough out the door he nicked again as soon as he though we werent watching him, down the stairs and straight acroos to the pool, in those days no one had to fence their pool.

to our amazement, Tilly who normally would be the first into the pool with you, went straight to him, grabbed his arm and pulled him back to the foot of the stairs and kept him there crying and screaming for his mum as before. somehow she knew he was not safe in the water, (he was only 3 and couldnt swim very well yet)

I am sure many standard poodles are just as kind, gentle and incredably smart, just like Tilly

What few people realise is they are just as protective of their family as any cattle dog too.

although most people who see a cattledog on the other side of a fence wouldn't enter under any circumstances without the owner there. would go in if it was a poodle standing there instead and get quite the surprise when it gave them the "whats the password?"  look .

My cousins would steal anything they got their hands on and I learned very quickly the only way to secure my bedroom, (which did not have a lock on the door) was to quickly put a lead on my poodle Pickle and tie him to the leg of my bed so he had complete control of the area at my door, He never let them in and his low growl would tell me one had sneaked off to raid my room as we entertained their parents.

as for him he just knew so many tricks and games , will miss him to the day I die. as much as we do Tilly.

loved them to bits,

it was the hours of grooming they needed to be kept to their best that I stuck with the original breed my dad always had from day I was born after old age took Tilly. 

Edited by asal
  • Like 2

I may be late to this but I have a miniature poodle. He blows me away, THE smartest dog I have ever had. Groodle sometimes STILL shed and will STILL need to be clipped as often as a poodle. I hope your friend is aware of that. I have seen poodle x where the owner has just let them be matted. (Cruel)

But I was NEVER a fan of poodle. Got one as my boyfriend is allergic. I keep him in a short clip, NO pom poms anyway. He looks like short coated retriever. 

Super smart dog, never had a dog that interacts with me like this one does, and very active. 

I'm getting a standard poodle when my crew of 3 dogs has got smaller. 

With a short clip all over -none of this dumb poodle clip thing, I hate them - he'll look just like a groodle but will be more active. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 7:43 AM, asal said:

I love standard poodles, my mum had Tillbrook Le Aigleon or something like that, I remember she said she was named little eagle in french, that was 1971

awesome amazing girl.

mum loved to spend hours grooming and clipping her and Tilly just loved to lie there and be pampered for as long as mum took to get her looking beautiful, she was always in a lamb clip.

her most noteworthy incidents aside from empeccable manners and obedience was the day a lady door knocker spotted mum in the back yard and let herself in and tapped mum on the shoulder.  mum got such a fright she screamed, Tilly was off that grooming table so fast the women didnt know what hit her as tilly knocked her to the the ground and stood on her for scaring mum.

She became legend the day she  was spotted stopping my friends son from getting into the pool, he and nicked outside without anyone noticing he was missing. first time he did we heard him crying and found him at the foot of the stairs with Tilly holding his arm and would not let go until his mum picked him up and took him inside.

half an hour later it happened again. 

we all wondered why Tilly was doing this. but apart from slobber on his arm there wasnt a mark.

also we decided to keep a closer eye on him and sure enough out the door he nicked again as soon as he though we werent watching him, down the stairs and straight acroos to the pool, in those days no one had to fence their pool.

to our amazement, Tilly who normally would be the first into the pool with you, went straight to him, grabbed his arm and pulled him back to the foot of the stairs and kept him there crying and screaming for his mum as before. somehow she knew he was not safe in the water, (he was only 3 and couldnt swim very well yet)

I am sure many standard poodles are just as kind, gentle and incredably smart, just like Tilly

What few people realise is they are just as protective of their family as any cattle dog too.

although most people who see a cattledog on the other side of a fence wouldn't enter under any circumstances without the owner there. would go in if it was a poodle standing there instead and get quite the surprise when it gave them the "whats the password?"  look .

My cousins would steal anything they got their hands on and I learned very quickly the only way to secure my bedroom, (which did not have a lock on the door) was to quickly put a lead on my poodle Pickle and tie him to the leg of my bed so he had complete control of the area at my door, He never let them in and his low growl would tell me one had sneaked off to raid my room as we entertained their parents.

as for him he just knew so many tricks and games , will miss him to the day I die. as much as we do Tilly.

loved them to bits,

it was the hours of grooming they needed to be kept to their best that I stuck with the original breed my dad always had from day I was born after old age took Tilly. 

Just a wonderful story asal!  Damn you - yet another breed on my bucket list!! :laugh::thumbsup:

• Like 2

Standard poodles are amazing  :) 
I met my first one many many years ago , when we stayed at the Norwood motel , in Adelaide (have a photo somewhere ) back in the early 60's ?he was there with his very proud lady owner , and I was besotted . 
fast forward, and for some time I was involved in the training of one as a prospective guide dog ..he was such a clever clogs!! 

• Like 1

Mini poodles ? fantastic , when they are treated as d o g  s :)  An older couple living on the land had one - she would go to work with her 'dad' ..would happily ride on the motor bike /run in yards with sheep/cattle ..then retire indoors to her cushions /the fire /her biscuits  /guard duty  LOL .

• Like 3

I understand the reasoning behind not liking the skinny muzzle, but let the hair grow a bit, have a mustache (spelling) and voila! A standard poodle with a groodle face!

id get a standard if I was able to, they are beautiful, stunning dogs. I saw one at training and it was so calm, top of it class in training, no barking, just stood there. And the coat! Will never forget it!

my sister ended up with a noodle (ha ha, spell check) and that dog is nuts!! Completely bouncing of the walls, is aggressive (tried to bite me), but it could be reacting to the environment too. That house is chaotic!

i gave her a whole range of low Shedding dogs and pros and cons about the noodle and still paid $2500 for one...just because her friends had one. 

*facepalm* so it wasn't about getting the right breed, it was getting something to keep up with her friends because they are all very wealthy.

anyway, as Ming said, and putting my opinion aside, there are some breeders who are trying to do the right thing. I'd head for them. Especially ones who have bred multiple generations because the chance of getting a hairy dog that sheds is less.

Edited by poochmad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am with a Standard Poodle too - great dogs, and they don't need a frou frou haircut. Friend has a brown one, with a shaggy haircut, door knockers are terrified of him, but he has a lovely temp.

How about a Portugese Water Dog?  Available in Australia  Great Natures.
Image result for photo of portuguese water dog

Someone suggested an Irish Water Spaniel - may be difficult to get, but there are some breeders - also a stunning dog

Image result for photo of an irish water spaniel

• Like 1

Any of the poodle types are lovely as they've got poodles in them and they are such smart dogs. Very interactive with their owners too. They definitely need training though. don't they? I'm thinking of getting mine a paper route job and possibly sending him to uni. . . just to keep him occupied. . . ha ha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...