MDBA now registering first generation crosses?

Maddy

I recently saw an ad for Staffordshire bull terrier x French bulldog puppies (being sold as "shortybulls") and the ad mentioned the fact that the puppies were MDBA registered, despite only being first gen crosses. Does anyone know if this is actually now being allowed by the MDBA?

Already checked MDBA website and couldn't find anything.

shortywut.thumb.jpg.ef5fe0d5909c78f2b7a0193e2e89e917.jpg

Edited to add screenshot

Edited by Maddy

Where was the ad posted @Maddy?

I really don't know either way, but if it turns out that someone is taking the MDBA's name in vain, as it were, then someone should let them know. They seem to me to have bought enough trouble with their own decisions let alone having someone misuse their name!

If you have a screenshot showing more details you could email to the MDBA info address and just ask them if they are pedigreeing or registering F1 crosses?

I will prefix this by saying that I'm aware that the issue here is the overbreeding of dogs of unknown health backgrounds and predatory marketing.

Now I'm going to say something very contraversial - in the dog world, I think, due to the issues above, we have forgotten the benefits of the first cross. With horses, it's used very commonly - the Anglo-arab (tb x arab) and hunter ( usually tb x draft, often clydesdale ) are very commonly used and respectable crosses. Because it's first cross, the results are pretty predictable.

In the uk, lurchers (sighthound cross terrier or collie) have long been popular as hunting dogs. 

SBT cross FB actually could be a nice little dog. 

The problem here is both parents are probably backyard bred with no health screening, and the pups will probably raised in dreadful conditions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tdierikx said:

I've left a message for Steve (phone) about this thread... she'll possibly be by eventually to address it...

T.

I also left her a message via the MDBA page

On 30/05/2018 at 11:02 AM, Selkie said:

I will prefix this by saying that I'm aware that the issue here is the overbreeding of dogs of unknown health backgrounds and predatory marketing.

Now I'm going to say something very contraversial - in the dog world, I think, due to the issues above, we have forgotten the benefits of the first cross. With horses, it's used very commonly - the Anglo-arab (tb x arab) and hunter ( usually tb x draft, often clydesdale ) are very commonly used and respectable crosses. Because it's first cross, the results are pretty predictable.

In the uk, lurchers (sighthound cross terrier or collie) have long been popular as hunting dogs. 

SBT cross FB actually could be a nice little dog. 

The problem here is both parents are probably backyard bred with no health screening, and the pups will probably raised in dreadful conditions.

If you believe the problem is lack of health testing and questionable care, then surely lurchers would also be a problem? They are very unlikely to have come from health tested parents and if breeders of other hunting types (like stags and bull arabs) are anything to go by, whelping/rearing conditions will be pretty dreadful.

The real issue with crossbreeds is the intent behind their breeding. lurchers/longdogs are bred to work. Surplus puppies will be sold but there's virtually no pet market for that sort of hunting mix, so it's really unusual to see anyone breeding them for pets. On the other hand, someone breeding SBT x Frenchie is doing it entirely for the money ($2,500 per puppy, to be exact). There's no breed standard to work towards, nothing to improve on, no purpose to the dogs, it's just crossing breeds for the sake of profit. No different at all to any other oodle or DD mix.

• Like 8

Not saying that I agree and chances are that yes they are being bred for money, but just maybe someone is trying to work on the breathing issues and other health issues with the French bulldog? I'm definitely no expert on the breed, but from what I gather, something needs to be done. 

13 hours ago, Bushriver said:

Not saying that I agree and chances are that yes they are being bred for money, but just maybe someone is trying to work on the breathing issues and other health issues with the French bulldog? I'm definitely no expert on the breed, but from what I gather, something needs to be done. 

If that was the case, why advertise them as shortybulls? A "shortybull" is not a French bulldog so I can't see how it's going to help the Frenchie breed. It's not being done with the oversight of the ANKC or the breed club so none of the potential changes will make it into the pedigreed population. And given "purebred" dogs sell for much more, I can't imagine many backyard Frenchie breeders would want to rob themselves of the words "purebred" just for the dubious possibility of health improvements.

Perhaps the individual puppies of this litter might have better health than a purebred French bulldog (or perhaps not, who knows), but that doesn't help Frenchies, so let's not pretend that this is somehow altruism.

• Like 2

They have actually come up with a breed standard. It is on their FB page. I was happy to see Blue not allowed as a colour but then confused to see that they had bred blue puppies. 

Don't really see the point of this cross. They look like not very well bred staffies to me. I can't see any great health benefits either. 

Interested to see who sold them well bred foundation stock and to hear that they are happy for their well bred purebred dogs to be used to create a new breed. Or are they just using backyard bred dogs? 

It's crossbreeding with a cute name. 

The mdba policies (on the website) state that dogs must be bred to be predictable in all the relevant aspects and I can't see how 1st gen crosses are going to fit that remit. 

They also have a whole section on breeding british bulldog to be healthier so if it was about making frenchies less wonky surely that could be done by breeding within existing lines for the preferred traits. 

Surely their purebred breeder members wouldn't be happy to have 'shortybulls' going out with mdba papers? :shrug: 

• Like 2