New Puppy! I need help with setting up !

Teebs

It’s been a long time since I worked retail in a pet supply shop and longer since we had a puppy around!

dad is getting a pup in a few weeks and I have no idea what the best of anything Is anymore 

we are after a good harness, both for walking and in the car. 

He is also after a dog door - it will be a medium dog, it needs to go into a sliding door - and as he has a cat, he would love it to be set to a microchip so the cat cant get out

I think thats the two main ones for now! Im sure ill have more things i need help with at a later date! I cant believe how much ive forgotten !!

thanks!! 

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1

I’m not a fan of no pull harnesses that cut across the shoulders and/or have a front attachment. They can really restrict movement. I have used them for big strong dogs to just give their owners a chance to teach loose leash walking but I’m vary wary of them with puppies. Look for a harness that doesn’t cut across the shoulders. No matter the style please don’t leave it on pup when they are free running!

For a car harness (yes I would recommend a separate one) look for one that has been crash tested. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 2

For a puppy, I like the Puppia ones (they slip over the head, like a shirt and then the strap clicks up the back).
Nice and soft for a puppy. I still use the largest ones as car harnesses for both my blockheads.

Awesome - ill go looking!

Ill be doing the best i can to train dads dog to walk on a flat collar, but i think a harness will suit him more

I actually realised i have other things i need help with... so im going to change the name of the thread an just ask in here! LOL

Thank you!

Fun times ahead :laugh: .   I like the Perfect Fit harness I got from Leopuppy (not sure if she's still on DOL.}  NIce and soft and doesn't restrict shoulder movement. But that  has becomePippa,s tracking harness, so now for out and about I use a Ruff Wear Webmaster.  Not cheap, but not restrictive, and touch wood, Houdini pupy has not gor out of it.  It has a built in handle too .. handy for lifting pup in and out of car etc. (or helicopter .. which I think is what it was designed for :) .

• Like 2

Depends on the build of new dog .

Personally I hate harness and they create nightmare walkers .

As pups we tell our owners to buy on a budget ,people waste so much money on stuff that won’t fit them when grown ,we suggest buy what will get you through the first stage and then purchase what will be the best fit for the end result 

• Like 4

Yep a bulldog pup!

im not a harness person either, unless it’s for the car, I’ll be doing the training and walking of the pup and try to get him on a flat collar but a harness is easier for dad to use 

• Like 2

I wasn't a harness person until I started training Nix through k9 Pro.
Zig was always a bit of a puller and he was trained out of it.
Nix has NEVER been a puller and only had a harness until she was about 5 - 6 months old.
If you train them right, dogs don't pull on a harness or a collar.
Get onto Bec at K9 Pro for some tips on training for no leash pulling - it is a dream program and so easy to implement (and it works).

Just in case anyone hasn't seen her yet:
Ironklad Amstaffs Girl on Fire (Phoenix or Nix for short)..
Just turned 13 months old.

1 year old.jpg

Edited by Staffyluv
  • Like 8

We scored 2 Ruffwear Front Range harnesses on Gumtree for $20 each as someone bought them but they didn’t fit their dogs. (They run big, we have a small which fits both a corgi x terrier and a tall staffy x) The RRP is about $69, which personally I think is very pricey for a dog harness, but they are very good. 

Ours are the older version though, but I don’t think that much has changed aside from colour combos.

https://ruffwear.com/products/front-range-harness

We’ve also had an Ezydog Quickfit harness. It’s very easy to fit and good quality, equivalent to a collar though really. Their chest plate harnesses are apparently good too.

And I’ve seen these, never used them, but they look like they could be a decent cheaper alternative:

https://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/m/product/true-love-dog-harness-nylon-reflective-padded-green-xsmall-for-dogs/10102/

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

I think it was Pig In Mud who do dog doors in sliding doors? I'm not much help - a while since I had a pup either. I prefer harnesses when walking for control reasons (and a martingale style when just going to the vet or groomer). I've used Puppia on my stafford but to be honest I took my pei to a couple of pet stores and tried a few on and chose a brand that had a good fit for her. A bulldog puppy might be in the same boat - not average in measurements.

How exciting for your dad!