This Tiny Terrier Leads Foxhound Pack Like a Boss Every Day

Boronia

12 hours ago, Boronia said:

yeah-well... didn't think that through!  I was more interested in the bossy little Norfolk terrier

No offence taken... he's a right corker of a little boss dog... lol!

Looks like he mostly leads them out to other activities anyways... can't hunt every day, right?

T.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, juice said:

At least he won’t get hit over the head with a shovel when he can’t do his job unlike the hounds who hunt for w@nkers on horseback

I thought I knew a little of fox-hunting from the old days.  I never heard of this happening.  I did know retired fox hounds who were loved and wanted and lived happy lives.  Are you saying this is normal practice in the UK or Australia or both?  Is duck hunting the same - are retrievers who can no longer run and swim euthanased in this way - or at all?

• Like 1

I guess this sort of thing happens ... I've heard of things. There are unscrupulous and inhumane people in every single aspect of animal ownership/care .
I have never heard of modern duck hunting retrievers being culled in a lethal fashion . Probably because they are not kept as a pack 'unit' .. and are very much individuals? 

Oh sure Persephone, just as callous-type show breeders cull puppies the hard way, I'm sure less now than previously.  We all hope enlightenment is spreading - even farm dogs that can no longer work are more likely to be retired and cared for or humanely pts, unlike some barbaric old days/old ways.  I admit I do arc up at some of the absolute stupid that gets dredged up re foxhounds, peta and co. have a lot of misinformation from their twisted little minds to answer for.  

• Like 1

They do drag hunts now I think, they do with Fauves, but I have seen some clips of Fauves bailing up a boar.

Some Aus farmers do awful things with their dogs but not all, most love their animals and respect them for the work they do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gillybob said:

They do drag hunts now I think,  …..

They always did in the hunt clubs.  The best rides were fast drag hunts, the hounds loved following an aniseed 'licorice' drag.  And in the UK now fox-hunting is illegal the Hunts that maintain a pack of hounds keep their membership this way.   

• Like 1

There are a lot of people breaking the law then if fox hunting is illegal... still happening with alarming regularity... *sigh*

Foxes are incredibly sensitive and intelligent critters... and certainly not regarded as a prey animal in the grand scheme of things. I can't begin to imagine the levels of terror one would suffer when hunted down, cornered, then torn apart by a pack of large dogs. That is NOT "sport" as far as I'm concerned...

But... the OP is about the tough little dog that leads his pack out to all manner of activities other than hunts... and that part of the story is very cool.

T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1