Is this backyard safe?

jwt

I'd be concerned about  a dog falling off them/getting stuck in between fence & stump  IF they tried .  10/10 for thinking about it though!! I too would suggest hiring/getting a mate with chainsaw  to cut a foot or so off the stumps ..paint them, and use them to put potplants on ;) 

I've never had a greyhound who could climb or position their legs in such a small space so I wouldn't be too worried about the stumps. We use baby gates to keep foster greys out of certain rooms and most (probably 90%) are baffled by them. Bear in mind though that some are more determined- we just spent half an hour adding a second latch to a gate that has held in 50+ other dogs - and if you do get a grey like that, life becomes a never-ending arms race.

• Like 3

Would be more worried about Greyhound zoomies in the raise bed section .

Having owned Greys ,tree stumps fine anything in the line of Fire for running another thing .

I would temp fence that area off 

None of my sighthounds would have used the stumps to escape. But the only time any of them have been an escape risk has been in the first few weeks, once they knew they belonged they didn’t want to. A different type of breed though would find escape easy over the stumps.

I would listen to the greyhound experts who have responded, unless you get an unusually determined Grey the biggest risk is probably running into them. And as Greyhound skin tears so easily I would  take action on that account.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2018 at 7:52 AM, Diva said:

None of my sighthounds would have used the stumps to escape. But the only time any of them have been an escape risk has been in the first few weeks, once they knew they belonged they didn’t want to. A different type of breed though would find escape easy over the stumps.

I would listen to the greyhound experts who have responded, unless you get an unusually determined Grey the biggest risk is probably running into them. And as Greyhound skin tears so easily I would  take action on that account.

Definitely. The tap in our front yard now has a large, bright piece of poly pipe around it because one foster dog ran into it and actually managed to smash not only the tap pipe itself but also a steel support for the tap. Fortunately the greyhound was completely uninjured but it could have ended very differently. Landscape as if you have a sugared-up, blindfolded toddler who can run at 60 km/h.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2