Can I lock a dog in a small room?

jwt

Just now, jwt said:

Don’t be so angry, I am not doing anything with those poor dogs, just asking.

The people here have answered your questions . Mostly in detail . 

On D O L We get angry when it seems that someone :

Is doing things to dogs which are unkind , which upset and confuse the dogs  FOR NO REASON which would benefit the dogs. 
Gets lots of advice , which they ignore , although they tell us they do not know anything about dog health/training/behaviour.
Does NOT approach the professional organisations who could help them ...even when they are given links, or ph: numbers etc 
tries to scam someone by  requesting money or help with a dog or situation which doesn't exist, 
or seems to be asking questions  just to get a reaction from us . 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jwt said:

Thanks. Just want to clarify my question. I assume that dog will be friendly 99% of time, otherwise I will give it back. Muzzle will be used just for preventing accidental biting.

For God's sake give up! You are not the right family for a dog. Plain and simple.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jwt said:

Thanks. Just want to clarify my question. I assume that dog will be friendly 99% of time, otherwise I will give it back. Muzzle will be used just for preventing accidental biting.

If a dog is going to bite, you get plenty of warning signals beforehand if you're paying attention. Expecting a dog to bite eventually, is a bad sign. A sign that you aren't experienced enough and do not have the right home.

I don't know where you're getting your dogs from but what you're doing to them is wrong.

• Like 6

I'm sorry for your situation, but I join the others in saying your situation is just not suitable for a dog .. any dog .. at the moment.  And you really do need to be following up with support organisations who can help and guide you in working with your child, so that maybe, some day, your situation might be suitable for a suitably trained dog, with back up from trainers.

In the meantime, in answer to your question about cat scratch fever .. heres some information about that   from the US.   It seems like fleas and interactions with other cats are the things which may give the cat the infection.   With good husbandry and an inside cat maybe with access to a cat enclosure, you could keep that risk to a mimimum.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am not trying other dogs, it was just a hypothetical question. I tried only 2 in total, and I was given a false information about the first one, so not my fault here.

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

I think some very sensible advice here re muzzling.

When my son was 2yrs old, we got a pet cockatiel. It was a hand raised, friendly cockatiel. 

Now I didn't/don't know a single thing about birds, but hubby 'had them all his life bla bla'.

Well.. what does a 2yr old do? Bangs on the cage and frightens the poor bird. So bird loses all trust in humans.

Should the bird have been locked away? Muzzled? Whatever.

No.

It was MY job to protect the bird, and control my child. And I was naive and ignorant. 

While a bird is not the same as a dog, you get the idea.

I have 3 kids and 3 dogs. And keeping everyone safe is hard work!

19 minutes ago, jwt said:

Thanks. I am not trying other dogs, it was just a hypothetical question. I tried only 2 in total, and I was given a false information about the first one, so not my fault here.

"trying" dogs , if you have a child  who can sometimes be rough /uncertain in behaviour  is unwise . Getting advice on a dog's way of behaving from someone at a pound ? if that is what you did - well  that probably is unwise as well. 
Sadly, dogs are not like shoes , they FEEL . trying them , and giving them back is unkind  :( .

• Like 3

It was not from pound, it was from gumtree and we agreed for trials, we agreed that I may return the dog in few hours. So I think no dog was hurt. It’s like to leave a dog to a pet sitter.

Guest crazydoglady99

I should have said at the bottom of my other post (I meant to, I just get distracted!!)

I think you've done the right thing in seeking advice. There's been countless posts over the years of people who have taken a dog from pound/gumtree/wherever.  And suddenly they are stuck with dog, who is showing signs of problems, and family is not coping etc etc.

I remember myself, all those years ago,  asking some advice on here and thinking everyone was being incredibly nasty!!!

(I'm still here.. not sure what that says about me!!)

But I have learnt so so sooo much about dogs here on dol, we might be passionate crazy dog people. The advice you are being given comes from a deep love of dogs and the desire to want to best for each and every dog. 

12 minutes ago, jwt said:

It was not from pound, it was from gumtree and we agreed for trials, we agreed that I may return the dog in few hours. So I think no dog was hurt. It’s like to leave a dog to a pet sitter.

Ahhh... Ok . 

From what you wrote I thought pound . apologies.  
I still will say the same thing .

Families of  children who behave a bit differently /are NOT what a new dog is used to usually  do best with a TRAINED dog ..and help of professionals .

51 minutes ago, jwt said:

Actually you are at fault because it’s your job as a responsible parent to ensure more thought went into getting a dog that was suitable for your child or more importantly understanding your child is not ready for a dog and nor are the adults .

Impulse buys of a live animal is not a smart move and in a short time frame you have returned 2 dogs which was e right thing to do but should’t have happened in the first place .

A dog isn’t something you take on lightly 

• Like 3

I am not an angry person much the opposite however I have spent a lot of years working with and rescuing dogs. 

I have handled so many dogs that bite their owners, I have had owners beg me to take them because no one else can safely handle them, I have seen many dogs spending way to much time in muzzles, dogs banished outside 24/7 cause they are too risky around the kids, I have had to be the one to hold them while they are euthanised because the owner has been scared of them or just mentally can’t do it.

I am not a perfect dog owner myself and do my best to keep educated on better understanding their needs and behaviours, I wish I could go back to having a houseful of my chosen breed but I decided to have kids and they are not an easy going tolerant breed so I have one and until my kids are all old enough I will not have another.

Having kids means making sacrifices and I feel your lack of understanding combined with your child’s age and behaviour make for a miserable dog and possibly dangerous situation for your child, even at the best of times there is some amount of risk with young kids and dogs because kids are so unpredictable.

Your obvious worry that your child will be bitten is a good indicator that you are not ready for a dog.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 3

Thanks. Some people think I am a stupid troll. What I am writing about, is a modelling. Playing virtual situations in their worst cases. It doesn’t mean that I will take more dogs, ok?

2 hours ago, jwt said:

a pet sitter who has no idea what they are doing. If, in the future, you want a dog then go to one of the assistance dog places and get a dog from them. But stop trying dogs on like they are a piece of clothing or something. They are not. Instead of getting dogs and discarding them do some damn research, do a lot of research, and be prepared to fork out some decent money to get a dog that might, just might survive in your household. Which I doubt will happen anyway.

• Like 2

It is good to ask questions about future scenarios that may or may not pan out. There are People on DOL tend to early judgement and dismissak. Please don’t mind them, there has been lot of good advice given!

If the things you you have found here currently have you hesitant on a dog or cat - no harm in waiting. Your child will only get older and better able to live with a dog. You don’t want to rush in to it. Not a race :) 

Perhaps in the mean time you could join a dog walkers group or breed specific meet up group and ask if they would mind you and your child to join them? Then you can teach him how to be around suitable dogs in small increments and help him succeed in that before whole scale bringing a dog home. The older he gets, with more practice, the easier it will be for you to find a suitable dog or have one find you. Or you might find a dog doesn’t suit you in which case I’m given to understand some places do do cat meet ups. Or maybe neither, you may end up a mini goat person ;) 

It it would also give you more time to see how different breeds work with your child and how he might interact with them so you can better plan if it’s the way to go. More breathing space to think things over. 

Edit. Definitely no rabbits - see maddy comment. They’re really not great for young children. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 4