Can I lock a dog in a small room?

jwt

An alternative to Thistles suggestion is to read to dogs if your child is up to it. I've seen a few stories about children reading to dogs. Apparently good for the childs confidence as well.

Here's one link that came up on a quick google

https://www.storydogs.org.au 

My thinking being your child can experience a dog whilst not being so hands on that a dog would be overwhelmed. It would be good practise on how to behave around a dog. You would need to talk to whoever you saw beforehand so they could be prepared.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, animallover99 said:

Are you lot calling me out on my lack of Rabbit knowledge!! :laugh:

I’m sorry   :laugh:too many of my rabbits have been reject school bunnies. They were all vicious nasty things brought on by improper handling and pokey fingers ;) 

you wouldn’t believe the riot act I gave my dad when he gave littlest sister a rabbit. I was Not Impressed. Not until she is at least 13!  And only that young becayse I’ve trained her on bunny manners ;) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, animallover99 said:

Are you lot calling me out on my lack of Rabbit knowledge!! :laugh:

Not at all. Sometimes, you do get really sweet buns. I have a cashmere lop who is endlessly sweet and patient, and if I didn't care so much for his comfort, I'm cuddle him to adorable, floofy death. If all rabbits were like him, they'd be awesome pets. Downside is he needs some really serious grooming to keep his immense floof in order.

On the other hand.. we also have another rabbit, rescued from a backyard meat breeder, and depending on her current mood/level of murderous hate for all other beings, she can be anywhere from slightly scary to be around, to a two man operation to remove/clean her food bowl. She has been known to kill (and possibly consume) birds, she will lunge, she will bite, she's 5+ kgs, depending on how many souls she's recently devoured. Rorschach would make a great childrens pet, if you hated children. On the inbetween, there's bun number three. He'll bite at fingers that get poked into his house and he'll bite/scratch if picked up but otherwise not too nightmare-inducing.

They're incredibly interesting pets, especially if you're happy to watch from a distance, and they have some very definite personalities, but I really feel they're an adult pet. Kids won't appreciate the nuances of rabbit behaviour anyway and in terms of good husbandry, there's a lot to them. The amount of times people have seen our rabbits and casually commented that they/their kids had rabbits but they only live six months before they randomly die.. it's sad. My eldest (the floofer) is currently about five years old and he's basically still a young adult, with heaps of life left to live. It's sad to think that many pet rabbits die a very premature death, in silent agony, from easily preventable diseases, like RHD, GI stasis, malnutrition, etc., just because people have been misled into believing that rabbits are a low care beginners pet.

In the OP's case, just a very bad idea. Rabbits can be trained and made tamer/safer to handle but it takes patience and commitment. And even then, some rabbits are just not going to be friendly, no matter what you try (see: Rorschach and that time we desexed Rorschach, hoping it might help her aggression. Spoiler alert, it didn't help, it made her even worse)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great suggestion Karen and Thistle!! 

I love the whole concept of story dogs.

@jwt don't be too disheartened, while some of the posters did come off a bit strong there was some great information shared, as your child grows and matures a dog might be a better fit.

As a whole I don't remember many times (if any) in the five years I've been a member of dol where the dol collective has recommended going forward with first time dog ownership whilst there are young children about, especially when kids are at the age where they can't read a dogs body language.

I think thistle and Karen's suggestions are good ways to help ready yourself and your little one to be responsible, dog smart owners a little down the way.

Knowing dog body language beforehand when I got my terror, ahem I mean Dozer..would have probably saved me from hiding behind a babygate crying into my cocktail when my now very sweet, independent amstaff was a piranha on four paws.

You have some great stepping stones here!

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 4:07 PM, animallover99 said:

But I have learnt so so sooo much about dogs here on dol, we might be passionate crazy dog people. The advice you are being given comes from a deep love of dogs and the desire to want to best for each and every dog. 

And each and every person. 

jwt: while we can't stop you getting a dog, I agree absolutely with the advice you've received here.  And people have spent a lot of time and heart to give you really kind good (if straight!) advice. I'm very sorry if the advice is not what you want to hear - but that's a risk you take when you ask the sort of questions you have on a dog forum with so many very experienced people who have been around dogs their whole lives.  

We were all a newbie at some stage - yep me included and no-one is criticising you for that (in fact we're commending you and praising you for recognising your inexperience, limitations and asking questions).  Where the annoyance/criticism is coming in is that you don't seem to be learning from all the time, effort and advice people have given you in this thread to help you and your family.    Please hear this very clearly - a dog is not a toy, commodity or a piece on a chess board to be manipulated as required or shut way when they are not convenient and wheeled out when their presence is required. (Mine are snoring on the lounge on either side of me as I type this!)  They are living, breathing family members who want nothing more than to be with you, part of your social network and family (go on outings, go to the coffee shop, visit friends with dogs,  be with you, go to training, go for walkies and smell the pee-mail etc etc etc) and to please you.   

In my world (human resources, employee and industrial relations) we make a useful distinction, mentally 'dividing the world into people who can learn and people who can't/don't'. It helps us determine who we devote limited time and energy to - as you can't help everyone. We just don't have the time and resources.  People who can listen, take advice, make it their own and learn are a joy - they don't always 'get it' straight away but they recognise sound, wise advice when they hear it, start to make changes in their thinking and behaviour and get there in the end.  They show signs of 'getting it' along the way.  And in my game,  they are where we put our time and energy.  And the other group of non-learners, well... let's just say 'there are none so deaf as those who won't hear' - or act on good advice and learn. 

I think the jury is still out about which way this is going to end up. 

Ultimately, the advice here is that you and your family are not anywhere near ready for a new four-legged family member and a 15 year commitment. IMO you have a choice to make - take that advice yet stick around and learn.  You'll then know when your family is ready, you'll go well through the whole process of acquiring and looking after a dog for 15  or so years.  And it will more likely be a success. Or you can go ahead on the disastrous road you are currently on and ultimately come back here with 'your tail between your legs', and having to eat humble pie while you seek further help and advice to sort out a mess of your own creating. Or worse, end up with a dog surrendered to the pound for euthanasia and a distressed, distrustful family on your hands. 

Your choice.  And I soooo hope you make the right one.   Good luck and best wishes. 

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Guest crazydoglady99

And from another angle...

What about you jwt? How much extra stress could it potentially add to your life?

All those times when child us unwell, home from school or school holidays etc.

I say this because the only time I do not have one of my children with me, is when I am out walking with my dogs. But.. when my hubby is away for work, our usual walk hiking up nature reserve, swimming etc, turns into a suburban walk with stop at the park, prams & scooters in tow.

Its incredibly stressful for me, and one of my dogs, at age 3, is only just able to hold himself together when these days occur. It's taken almost 2years for him to be able to cope with this, and not destroy everything in sight!

I guess I was just thinking of this from your point of view as a parent, and I guess my view as a parent too!

On 12 June 2018 at 4:43 PM, persephone said:

I still will say the same thing .

Families of  children who behave a bit differently /are NOT what a new dog is used to usually  do best with a TRAINED dog ..and help of professionals .

I wholeheartedly agree.

contact pets in therapy or groups similar where they have trained dogs especially for your NEEDS and can provide you guidance on how to introduce the dog, how to behave one on one, how to resolve problems, etc as needed.

getting a dog from anywhere else is not going to work.

• Like 2

Guest crazydoglady99

I think an assistance dog is more likely to become the child's companion,  rather than family pet. They are really special dogs that are very in sync with childrens mood etc. Plus, an assistance dog can go everywhere with you!

I'm sure you have your hands full jwt. Something to look into when you are ready