New puppy arriving in 10 days - Would love advice on managing first night

puppylovefor3

On 13/06/2018 at 7:10 PM, AsBlackAsBandit said:

Hey puppylove3, you have asked the perfects questions for our family too. We are hoping our puppy will be home in 17 days (visiting for the first time this weekend). There is so much information on the net it seems so overwhelming. This is our second dog but after many years. We have two kids 7 and 10 and plan on doing many things similarly to you (pen, crate, quiet kids etc etc). I guess the only thing I wanted to say was I think consistency is the key. And the question I had was which puppy school you found, as you described, I have not really been able to find one that isn't just puppies playing randomly (which is not ideal!). We are in SA (Adelaide). Also what type of puppy are you getting? We are getting a Miniature Schnauzer : )

Would love to see some photos when your mini pup arrives. I have always had mini schnauzers. Currently just have one beautiful little girl. I am very biased and think they are just the greatest. Good luck with your new arrival.

May i suggest with your breed of choice you read up about bloat for when hes an adult.
This is not about making you fear his future but understanding an issue that many pet owners either choice not to read in puppy paperwork or some breeders don't really mention it.
Understanding the potential risks & above all the potential signs a must .
I own breeds with a higher risk of this issue ,one of the reasons that  i do allow water over night .I am not paranoid over the way i monitor this potential risk but  like anyone with a breed at higher risk you can minimize the risk factor

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zena's mum said:

Would love to see some photos when your mini pup arrives. I have always had mini schnauzers. Currently just have one beautiful little girl. I am very biased and think they are just the greatest. Good luck with your new arrival.

Don't worry I will post photos - looking forward (and a bit nervously) to this new member of our family. Hopefully get to see her for the first time on Sunday!!!

I have read most of your posts Zena's mum in my search for mini info :laugh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AsBlackAsBandit said:

Don't worry I will post photos - looking forward (and a bit nervously) to this new member of our family. Hopefully get to see her for the first time on Sunday!!!

I have read most of your posts Zena's mum in my search for mini info :laugh:

The thing to remember is that they are highly intelligent and learn very quickly. So training is quite a breeze.  And are just totally lovable. They love their family and need to be included in everything. A pure delight to own. Personally I can’t see me ever having any other breed. 

A new little girl for you. That’s so sweet. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dogsfevr. I will check with my breeder about bloat. I'll also read up about it to get more info. At the moment I"m thinking of having a small hanging bucket of water inside the crate (this is what the breeder does). and then see how it goes.

My friend in Sydney had a mini schnauzer...she was an absolute darling!

Puppy is arriving around mid day tomorrow. Can't believe the time has finally come!! I've got all my gear (as suggested in this post) packed in the car ready to go. 

• Like 3

She has finally arrived:) and settled in beautifully. Was so happy to sit and get petted by the kids and loves snuggling to us too. Toilet training is another story. It’s been absolutely pouring and windy and freezing here. I’ve taken her out multiple times this afternoon but she stands there shivering rooted to one spot. We stood there for 15 mins, she sniffed the ground many times and nothing so I went back in.. she did a wee on the floor inside :( this happened three times.. I’ve decided to try pee pads near the door for today and tomorrow unless the weather improves.. what do you think? She’s just scared or cold or uncertain outside don’t know.. and tries to pull away with the lead. ?? 

Hmmm I tried to post a photo but seems to be too large a file. 

• Like 1

Congratulations - so glad she arrived safe and sound. It has been a horrible day here - I am sure more experienced owners will weigh in - but I don't think training her to go inside is ideal because it is going to be cold for at least another couple of months - I would try taking her out every hour and if she does not go have her in a confined area/room/pen - and as soon as she looks like she is going to go inside (sniffing,circling) scoop her up and take her outside and then be overjoyed with her/treat her. I think the time you take now to get her used to it will pay off in the next days, weeks etc.

Also does she need a coat so its not so cold?  This is exactly one of the things I am scared of happening in two weeks time. The other thing that helped us once when we were looking after our friends dog - she came over and did not pee for nearly 7 hours!! (we think she was missing her human mummy) was we bought this digusting stinking pee spray from a pet shop and sprayed it on the area we wanted her to go and it worked and she kept going back to the same area - we only used it once and gave it to a neighbour a couple of years later - it was  the worst wee smell ever....but it worked.

• Like 1

Thanks :) I might try that.. she was in a confined pen when she came back in but maybe I missed the signs.. not sure. I’ll try again I guess. She’s sleeping now I took her out nothing again. . I wanted her to wee before I put her in the crate.. might wait up a bit more to see if she shows signs when she wakes up again. Also she didn’t eat well tonight. Just a bit. Must need time settling in. 

Yes in the light of day it’s all become better. She’s such a sweetheart :) she’s doing wees and a poo outside too. And she ate most of her breaky too (although it was at 5 am :o)  the sun and better weather should hopefully help.. still trying to figure out how to post a pic! My iPhone pics seem too large. 

• Like 2

We visited our little girl for the first time today - she is 6 weeks old. We spent an hour and a bit with her and her breeder, her mum and grandma. 

Sorry pics  are a  bit fuzzy.. She will be called Obi - her official name (without the prefix) is Obi Orange Blossom.

obi.jpg

obi2.jpg

• Like 3

Finally managed to shrink the size..here’s a pic of our new little bubba. 

She’s done remarkably well for her first day :) 

she’s doing all her toileting outside (no rain has helped!)

has learned to sit

has gained her appetite back

playing nicely with her chew toys. 

and we left her on her own for 20 mins in her pen inside the house with a kong teething stick smeared with some puppy paste. She howls a bit when we (especially I) leave the room..but she’ll find someone to cuddle up to and fall asleep. 

Anyway she she whined when we all left but was sleeping in her crate when we returned. Then we all cuddled and fussed over her :)

can I ask how long does she sleep for around this age during the day? She does a large amount.. and will it ever affect her night sleep? They still need lots of sleep right?

shes had a couple moments today where she went really hyper playing with some toys..or chewing on the lead after I take her for a wee, and gets all fired up thinking the lead is a toy! Then she gets nippy and I have to pick her up and calm her with cuddles. Then she settles on a mat with a chew toy.Is that the right way to deal with this hype? Or else should I try something else?

shes also in her crate with the door closed and no whining so far..fingers xx it continues! 

Thanks so so much once again for all the advice and support :) 

28B05751-55ED-4B73-BC61-B75B3B720816.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Zena's mum said:

She’s a little cutie. Sweet name. Lucky people.

13 hours ago, Zena's mum said:

She’s a little cutie. Sweet name. Lucky people.

Thank you we are lucky and she is sweet. (I did not mean to put two of the same quotes but quote zena's mum and puppy love3 but it wouldnt work even though i clicked both to quote.

Puppylove3 your puppy is absolutely beautiful, and you are all doing well. I would probably address her nippiness with distraction, give her a toy to chew or ignore her turn away and when she calms then give her the cuddles  you don't want nipping means a cuddle.  PS what is gorgeousness's name?