New puppy arriving in 10 days - Would love advice on managing first night

puppylovefor3

Hi, thanks for the messages :) 

She's doing well. Her name is Zara. Yes I have stopped playing with her if she gets in a hyper nippy mood. She did that twice today..morning and evening. Perhaps like children's "witching hour!" She was acting absolutely nuts and jumping, being nippy, initially tried shoving a toy instead into her mouth, it distracts her a bit but she comes back. Then we just left her play area, watched her go crazy attacking her pee pad in the pen then she eventually settled and we came back.

Thing is when we leave her area if she's in a crazy mood, doesn't seem to bother her sometimes! She will continue to pay rough for a while. Should we just let her be? And only come back when she's calm again and settled in one spot? she also keeps jumping at the pen and gnawing it when she's in this mood...how do you recommend we handle that? just ignoring?

Has anyone experienced this crazy puppy behaviour, at certain times?  

I take her out to toilet on a lead and sometimes she thinks the lead is a toy and keeps biting it and playing around with it, then she'll eventually let go and do a wee. when she's calm she does one quickly.. when she's playful it's a whole other story. IF she's acting rowdy when it's toilet time what do you recommend I do? Just stand there and let her keep biting the lead and pull away at it? or try something else..surely lead biting is something I wouldn't want to encourage right? is my lead length perhaps not right? 

Thanks for all the advice! when she's not in a hyper rowdy mood, she's an absolute darling :) 

So cute!!!!

when my guy got the excited nippies I would switch out a toy and play with that with puppy. If in the mood to play, an opportunity to play properly with me!

even if we were outside hoping for a toilet. 

Tip - when they do go toilet, say a word you can link with it. It is great having an older dog who will go potty on command ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, puppylovefor3 said:

Hi, thanks for the messages :) 

She's doing well. Her name is Zara. Yes I have stopped playing with her if she gets in a hyper nippy mood. She did that twice today..morning and evening. Perhaps like children's "witching hour!" She was acting absolutely nuts and jumping, being nippy, initially tried shoving a toy instead into her mouth, it distracts her a bit but she comes back. Then we just left her play area, watched her go crazy attacking her pee pad in the pen then she eventually settled and we came back.

Don’t forget that she has just been separated from her litter mates and they would have spent just about every waking hour (if they lasted as long as an hour :laugh:  :laugh:) playing as you describe.  

She is a tiny baby - don’t be anxious around her as that will make her anxious too.  She doesn’t speak English :laugh:  :laugh:

So beautiful.   

I've found that when you take them out to toilet to keep wandering/moving. It helps them need to go quicker (movement moves everything along inside, so to speak) and usually if they're meandering along they're not nomming on the lead of playing at much. 

Other than that she sounds like a normal puppy! Pups play hard and are a bit crazy, if they're not you'd be worried. Just keep replacing the biting with a toy she can nom on and play with her and the toy so she learns how to play with people. You're doing great :)

I allow all my puppies to have puppy crazies.

i don’t believe in not allowing it ,it’s there time to let built up energy happen so I just shut my guys outside .

The main thing is to ensure if the weather fine pup spends decent time outside amusing itself ,do not fall into the trap of being its rep,acement littermate and it’s ability to be independent and enjoy its own company .

As to toilet time shut the door and leave outside otherwise you need to walk about giving instructions .

I have p,aged around if the brain isn’t functioning and then once pup is back to thinking gone back to puppy toilet mood.

Never had issues long term or create a problem as long as the desired result happens .

Winter babies if inside can get cabin fever easily so ensuring a growing Bub can enjoy zoomies,playing and fun is a must .

They are no different to human babies they have there moments .

I own a breed that loves to mouth ,PWD water dogs I consider similar so I allow it with strict rules on gentle and rewarding highly that behaviour,I don’t encourage and all mi e grow out of the faze very quickly as it isn’t a game 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mackiemad said:

movement moves everything along inside, so to speak) and usually if they're meandering along they're not nomming on the lead of playing at muc

Mackiemad, I noticed this exactly today.. I think I’m slowly starting to read her a bit better too. Today we did a lot of outdoor play as the weather was decent,, but I had her on a lead but we walked around the garden, let her sniff a lot and run around playing. She’s consistently doing her business outside now. 

I was was trying to take her to the same spot in the garden on a lead so she learns to wee and poo in the one place..is that something I can achieve with consistency? Sometimes what happens is she wees quickly in that spot then she wants to play so we walk along the garden and then ends up pooping somewhere else. I guess I’d like to try and avoid having to go through the whole lawn to pick up poo later down the track when she’s let loose outside. 

Any suggestions on how to do this or your experiences with this? 

Shes learning not not to jump up on my 4 yr old now as well. Pwd are mouthy but I keep shoving toys in instead and never leave the kids unsupervised with her. 

Crate training is is going well.. I’m not waking her up at nights anymore. She wakes up every 3.5/4 hours now.. which is great given she’s only been here since Saturday! 

• Like 1

Love that Zara's settling in so well.   I particularly loved it when you said you think you're learning to read her …. Yay!!

Puppy zoomies/crazy time  … yep  definitely normal with an active pup of a working breed.  My BC girl still does them occasionally at 15 months.   You just have to be careful the she doesn't hurt herself (or someone else) … and be ready to take her out to toilet when she's finished zooming.     I personally like to feed a little bit after zoomie time .. don't really want zoomies on a full stomach. 

For toileting … they vary in their preferences.   Mine tend to like different places for wee and poo .. so I'd go with that if that's what Zara wants.  And don't just go by the clock .. tailor the toilet outings to her activities,

You can certainly teach to ideally toilet in a special spot just be consistent between where you want it her to but also open minded that toileting outside at this age is a big deal and if not the spot no dramas 

Yes I have noticed she’s completely crazy at zoomies time I worry about her banging into things! right now I’m still not letting her off the lead outside. I just walk with her. She’s quite consistent with her wees in the one place (happens as soon as I take her out).. then she wants to go exploring so I just follow her around the yard. The lead biting may be slowly reducing...I’m just shoving toys instead or distracting her so she forgets about it. She’s only doing it during crazy time now. Also she’s more nippy and jumpy when she’s all hyped up. Do you have any advice how I should handle that?

I still can’t let her off the lead in the backyard because the neighbours fence guy hasn’t finished up! So annoying! Do you think it’s ok to keep playing on the lead outdoors? 

Also she’s so curious she’s putting everything in her mouth and chewing on it...sometimes even eats it! Stones, bark, soil, mulch, leaves, grass.. basically anything outside. Is this ok or should I try stop it? She’s constantly gnawing on the pavers today! 

Just wondered as well, how long everyone keeps going with the puppy play pen concept.. the way I see it, I’d keep going for ages because it’s so helpful! But wasn’t sure what generally happens.

Max used to have his wild times. He'd go hell for leather around a little track he made up, which of course went past me. Meg and I would just sit on the couch out of his way. After that he'd murder his teddies. I love watching them have fun. He did crash onto his pen one day - it was a soft pen, so no damage done.

Lead outside definitely a necessity if the fence isn't up. She can still explore and it keeps her safe. She can run and play unrestricted inside, so it's fine. Safety first :)

Agree .. lead outside is fine for as long as you need.   Even when the fence is done, you can leave the lead on while you're there, and just let it trail, while you're practising recalls.  (I live on an acre backing onto bush, with somewhat porous fencing, and lots of pademelons in the area, so my BC girl was several months before she was leash free. or even leash trailing, outside .. I did have a longish lead on … and we did, and still do, massive numbers of recall games.  These can include her chasing you as you run away, and finding you when you're hidden and call her .. massive party when she gets to you.

Especially while she's eating random stuff, the leash is going to save you a lot of trouble.   If you haven't already, teach her to swap/trade what she has in her mouth for what you have .. if necessary, throw treats on the ground near her so she spits what she has, then hand feed her more treats while you remove the forbidden "treasure" .. and be thankful it's not a decaying wallaby carcass :laugh: .

For the nipping in crazy time, just freeze all the action on your part, look away from her, maybe give a big sigh, and wait till she takes a breath or two … then maybe sit on the floor and give her some calming handling.  It could take quite a while for her baby brain to get this … I still have to remind my crazy BC at 15 months,, that although I want excitement and energy from her, OTT arousal and careless teeth means the game totally stops for the time being.

What chewing things are you given the pup at present .

As your pup is in the teething process chewing gives them relief .

With our pups we rotate the teething options because it’s a fun factor.Some teeth with ease others really struggle so make sure you have some variety in this area .

Also don’t forget to ask your breeder various questions we love to help our puppy owners .

Whilst playing onlead is not ideal you have no option .Personally we do t leave the lead trailing here because it requires human management which can affect the dogs ability to be independent 

:) puppies don't have fingertips with to feel textures etc...so use their mouth ! 

they get new teeth at around 5 mths old ..and REALLY need  good chewing resources then   ;) 

make sure she can access lots of different textures and tastes .

deer antlers
 rope chews
fresh bones  like turkey wings/necks 
apples /carrots 
THESE BALL things make noise and seem to be fun 
and THESE TOYS are good value and tough  (in my opinion)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)  

right now we have lots of chew toys all around the place ready to shove into her mouth if she tries to mouth us. Teething sticks, soft crackly squishy toys, rope toys, textured bones, you name it. I also use kongs stuffed with her kibble..she’s getting better indoors at controlling her mouth on us. If she gets too much we just step away outside the barriers we have put up, and a few goes of this and she snuggling in our laps after :) so that’s good.

her crazy outdoor behaviour is the one I’m clueless about how to handle. She suddenly turns around, shakes her bum and then tries to run at you and jump up your leg! Is this her version of play? She jumps up high and lunges at our legs. When this happens, the lead gets caught in her mouth and it’s a tug of war game now...sigh! I’ve tried ignoring it and turn away like you suggested..she persists and nips the crap out of my leg! Ouch! Today i picked her up and held her  a few seconds, then put her down. I did this twice, and then she seemed to reduce it or maybe that’s what I hoped for! but it’s so tricky trying to pick her up in this mood, she’s a slippery little thing! Do you think treats for when she stop biting the lead is an option? But what should I do about the lunges? 

If she’s biting the lead and pulling and playing then if I stop dead she pulls away thinks it’s a game then lunges... if I first stop the lead biting by offering a treat for her to spit lead out and choose the treat instead maybe we can go about our exploring and prevent the lunge game altogether? So confused as to how to deal with this one :confused:

11 hours ago, puppylovefor3 said:

right now we have lots of chew toys all around the place ready to shove into her mouth if she tries to mouth us.

So she gets a reward for attempting to put her teeth on you ? 
It can be called redirection .....
have you watched a Bitch with her pups ? if they are nipping/jumping/chewing ..she will growl , push them away , and/or use her own mouth  on them . They learn that this behaviour  has a consequence ..and stop very quickly . 
Whichever way is your choice ..timing, body language and voice tone are all really important , as pups/dogs are EXPERT in reading these ! It can be such hard work communicating in another language ;) 
Here are a couple of things for you to read :

LINK 1

LINK 2

My dogs have never nipped me and I'm not sure why or what I do to stop it. I'd say I'm probably pretty quick to discipline if teeth use is inappropriate - it doesn't take much with babies. I also handle mouths and if one connects with me, in go my fingers. It's good training for when you have emergency removal of objects. My boss recounted a potentially horrendous situation where his golden retriever pup somehow got hold of a razor (don't ask how that happened, I don't know). Mouth handling is essential as is training them to let you take things away IMO

Thanks for the links... I’ll have a look at them. Yes, I have been needing to do mouth handling and extract stones or sticks that she tries to chew on.. the nipping and biting is not normally a problem, just a couple of times a day when she’s a bit crazy! Although today went much better.