How soon after neutering can i walk him?

As I'm typing, my dog is in the vet getting desexed. He is a very energetic Jack Russell. I am having anxiety as to how to keep him quiet and not exercising him for the next week or so. I am nearly certain he will drive himself and us nuts not going out for walks, he is used to 2 good walks every day.

Are lead walks, or leisurely walks ok. I wont let him romp around with other dogs.

Am just curious what you guys did after having your boys neutered.

ours are treated as normal BUT by the same token our dogs have to learn that at times what they want doesn't happen & they don't get to rule the roost .
So we are still careful about jumping & over doing it with stitches

• Like 2

Of course supervision and monitoring required, you don't want him going to earth and getting dirt in his sutures.  You need to check and make sure he hasn't pulled stitches or gotten infected.  But in my experience, walking is ok... with increasing intensity over time.  Had a vet tell me something similar.

• Like 2

Ours is female, not sure whether that makes much of a difference or not? But we walked her as normal (twice per day). We just stuck to walk routes that were on paths rather than going through parks or the beach etc to keep her as clean as possible until the stitches were out. We also kept it at a leisurely pace. I suppose it might depend on different dogs too as their healing time may be different and bodies may react differently. 

Hope all goes well with your boy. 

Edited by Katarinasmum
  • Like 2

Well it's 6:30pm and he is already bugging me trying to play tuggie and throw his ball for him! I didn't think he'd be up and about this quickly!! I picked him up from the vet at 1pm, he was groggy and slept for a couple of hours. He then got up and scoffed his dinner, and now he's acting completely normal.

It's been years since i've dealt with this, and my dogs back then were very placid, docile female shih tzu's. The complete opposite in temperament to this guy

• Like 1

Apart from being careful that he doesn't worry at stitches, or later where he was shaved, as the hair grows back, I'd treat him as normal.  I'd keep tuggie very low key .. and I wouldn't be doing ball throwing .. but on leash walks would be fine I'd think.  And here's a great opportunity to have him work with his brain .. that will tire him out .. so teaching physically safe tricks, and other caneine enrichment stuff.

• Like 2

My six month old Min Pin girl got done last Friday and the vet said no exercise for 2 weeks so I have been wondering the same - she is super active and driving me INSANE despite training sessions, enrichment games, etc. She hasn't licked at her stitches at all either so I'm just going to bite the bullet and resume an on-leash, medium-paced walking schedule...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, halfthewords said:

My six month old Min Pin girl got done last Friday and the vet said no exercise for 2 weeks so I have been wondering the same - she is super active and driving me INSANE despite training sessions, enrichment games, etc. She hasn't licked at her stitches at all either so I'm just going to bite the bullet and resume an on-leash, medium-paced walking schedule...

Female desexing is basically a hysterectomy . There are higher risks of things going wrong  because of the fact that  internal organs have been removed /stitched ..and then several layers of  tissue have also been stitched . ..and the wound is underneath, with weight pushing down on it .  jumping/stretching etc also stretches the area ..and can tear  tissue .
male dog desexing is only skin deep , really ...often there is a large fluid build up in the now-empty scrotum,and irritation from the shaving .. but in normal and healthy young dogs , they seem to just carry on . 

• Like 1

Today is day 7, and we're going back to the vet for a check up. I am hoping and praying he's going to say we can resume normal activity.. Every time he runs full pelt or jumps up on things i just about have a coronary. I'm hanging to take him back to the beach, which is his most favourite place in the world!

• Like 1