Crate training trouble

Jen0808

Hello! I’ve had my Brittany spaniel puppy for three weeks now and he’s taken well to most of his training such as potty training and crate training 

the problem I’ve come across though is how do I get him to nap in his crate throughout the day? My puppy doesn’t settle in his bed in the living area for naps so I’ve resulted to putting him in his crate when he gets tired because he tends to get very cranky (biting, jumping and vocal) 

the only thing is he likes sleeping in his crate but barks or whines if I leave the room and won’t sleep unless I’m there which then results in him being overtired 

What do I do?! 

Hi there ... good for you with what you've achieved so far .. they're a lively breed, not always very easy to train as they're so .. umm .. full on ..:laugh:

For nap time, I'd suggest making sure the crate is covered, and also starting  the session with something like a frozen stuffed Kong (make sure it's one with a small hole at the bottom, so his tongue can't get stuck) .... very useful when he's teething.  While he's working on that, he will settle down and get a bit tired, and so more likely to just go to sleep.   There may be protests, but you just ignore them .. you'll tell the difference between genuine distress and a toddler tantrum.

I also have a radio on the whole time .. talk/music mix.

Hope that helps.    (Oh and we do like to see cure puppy pics :laugh:.