Boxer dog and compatible breed companions

Pupperino

We are wanting to add to our pack and already have a beautiful 19mth old boxer. We are looking for a medium size breed with short hair. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what other breeds are compatible? Also is there a right way to introduce a new pup to our dog?  

Boxers and Labbies go great.  Boxers run circles around...and Labs like it.

Intros depend a lot on age and temperament of the two.  Your guy is likely to bowl over a puppy.  You want a robust pup and some supervision.

Thanks Dogsfevr, we’d like a breed that is middle ground. We hv thought of another boxer but want a breed that is a bit smaller in size. We were considering a bulldog or French bulldog but was wondering if there was any other breeds that might be even more suited.

10 hours ago, Pupperino said:

Thanks Dogsfevr, we’d like a breed that is middle ground. We hv thought of another boxer but want a breed that is a bit smaller in size. We were considering a bulldog or French bulldog but was wondering if there was any other breeds that might be even more suited.

If your wanting middle ground then I wouldn’t suggest either of those breeds ,infact I think there more full on than a boxer .

Also you need to factor in daily walks if that’s what you do ,both those breeds wouldn’t do the same distance especially a Frenchie .

Maybe head down to a dogshow and see what breeds take your fancy ,Some people have plenty of time to talk at shows others are busy so doing a breed find and then contacting breeders is better .

the problem with frenchies as my niece has discovered, he can get very overheated quickly outside on a hot day, our hot summers really distress many, some, as a friend found, Her grandmothers boy died,  if they do not have access to air conditioning.

Another Friend has English Mastiffs and he said if he doesn't get home and put out frozen mats for them to lay on if the temperature goes over 110, even in his air conditioned house?, he can lose one if he doesn't go home and do that.. He said the toughest part is finding a job were the boss who will let him without having a hissy fit

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

How does your boxer play? Are there any breeds he seems to enjoy playing with more?

No point getting a breed that likes to chase if your dog likes to wrestle.

My Bull Terrier loves to wrestle, labs can take her robust play style, however i just got another BT and they play exactly the same , its getting them to stop thats the problem, neither wants to concede!

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2018 at 7:01 PM, Dogsfevr said:

If your wanting middle ground then I wouldn’t suggest either of those breeds ,infact I think there more full on than a boxer .

Also you need to factor in daily walks if that’s what you do ,both those breeds wouldn’t do the same distance especially a Frenchie .

Maybe head down to a dogshow and see what breeds take your fancy ,Some people have plenty of time to talk at shows others are busy so doing a breed find and then contacting breeders is better .

Thanks for your advice Dogsfevr! That is a good idea re the dogshows I will do some more reasearch.Appreciate your reply.

On 18/06/2018 at 8:01 AM, juice said:

How does your boxer play? Are there any breeds he seems to enjoy playing with more?

No point getting a breed that likes to chase if your dog likes to wrestle.

My Bull Terrier loves to wrestle, labs can take her robust play style, however i just got another BT and they play exactly the same , its getting them to stop thats the problem, neither wants to concede!

He LOVES to play wrestle as well as chase. That is a good tip re other breed types he likes to play with! I will pay attention to this more. Thanks Juice!

On 17/06/2018 at 8:38 PM, Thistle the dog said:

I reckon bull dogs and frenchies might struggle to keep up with your boxer. 

Staffordshire bull terrier are smallish-mediums compared to boxers but pretty similar in play style. Maybe could meet some of those to see if you would like?

We did think of this breed, I might relook into this. Thanks Thistle the dog for your reply.

• Like 1

As a trainer and a breeder - we never recommend someone getting a second dog until the first one is at least 2.5 years old... that way the first dog has matured enough to be more settled with a pup coming into the home... It also means that you create a great bond with your first dog and when the second pup comes you can also give this pup the chance to bond with you... Also your mature boxer can help your new pup learn the ropes - otherwise you might end up with huge problem of two outrageous teenagers that can go over the top.

I would stay away from breeds that have heat problems, such as the frenchies etc, If you want a short hair dog I assume you don't want lots of dog hair so you might want to forget about labrador as we find they are one of the biggest for hair loss in the kennels.    you need something that can play at the level of a boxer... surprisingly some of the wire haired breed might suit... schnauzers and cairn terriers are fabulous and have great energy without a silliness that will wear out your backyard... another I love is the Visla but some can be a bit stress heads so really talk to breeders about their dogs... one of my all time favourites is the Loggoto - amazing dogs who just keep on keeping on but are really steady and sensible.

Best of luck - but really think about waiting till your dog is older....

• 3 weeks later...