Recaller's Recommendations or not?

Hi

Looking at Susan Garrett's Recallers for this year- in AUD 660! ye gods! 

Is it worth it? I have a miniature poodle who is out-going, easy to train, did the NDTF Cert III Dog Beh course last year so had to teach him a bunch of tricks etc but he could be better. I also have a bichpoo (ridiculous dog) with some reactivity issues but is slowly getting better. . . have done some of one of Denise Fenzi's courses that has some fabulous ideas in it. Am currently teaching Jack and Boo their left and right paws. . . is Recallers a good investment?

I think so.   But then I've been in Recallers for some years .. and I'm an online course junkie.  (Fenzi and all the Susan Garrett ones.)    You will know some of the stuff, and may have done a lot of it .. but the way it is organised is really good (former teacher speaking), there is a super FB Member's Community, there are significant bonuses like coaching calls from time to time.   How much value you get out of it, kind of depends on how much you put in.  I love that it's all about the dog, the relationship, and they joy that comes from building strong foundations and confidence.

Thanks @Tassie  - I'm a teacher too so organised is good. I'm happy to spend lots of time on it. I'm pretty much swayed anyway from looking at past Recallers videos. . . it's just to afford it I may have to do some emergency teaching (something I try to avoid like the plague) . . . 

Oh I hear you about the emergency teaching.   I did that for a couple of years after I retired  … but was very picky!       There is the same sort of generosity about the Say Yes courses as there is about Fenzi courses .. well probably more.   The team keep having good ideas and they can't help adding more "stuff" :laugh:

Yes. Yes. Yes. I can’t remember how many years I’ve been doing Recallers and I’m always finding more value. 

I’m actually a community instructor inside Recallers (ie not paid) and I’m going over to Canada to audit her agility summer camp. That’s how much value I get out of her online courses. I’ve trained with SG in QLD and also do H360, Agility Nation and Puppy Peaks. 

I’m also a scientist - animal behaviour and welfare - so I love her evidence based approach. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 1

Oh fantastic! Thanks for the feedback Tassie Barb and TSD. I"m gonna spring for it.  As for the emergency teaching. . .blah. . have been going through an agency who take a BIG slice and send me to awful schools. I mean 45 minutes and you can barely get the roll done. 

I like the idea of science based (the psych teacher in me) and I can concentrate on my dogs instead of just theory which is what I was considering. . there's a Canadian diploma I was considering but need a break from studying right now. And can't find anywhere to go and do agility with my dogs at the moment since I teach Obedience (as a beginner) on Sunday mornings. . . so this'll keep us more than busy! 

I am also jealous TSD of the summer camp, sounds fab! 

Love Heinlein's quote too. 

• Like 1

OK TSD I"ve only watched the 1st video and I am SOLD! The fact that you made the video speaks for itself. .. .and you and the dog/s look like you are having so much fun! I am in like flynn. (And there was a huge smile on my face while I watched.)

Thanks very much. Will watch the others tomorrow. .. something to look forward to. :-)

• Like 3

I started the Recallers journey last September and it has been awesome!!!! I have a standard poodle and this has taken us to a whole new level particularly working as a team. My only regret is I didn't do this years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Verve said:

I started the Recallers journey last September and it has been awesome!!!! I have a standard poodle and this has taken us to a whole new level particularly working as a team. My only regret is I didn't do this years ago.

That’s so lovely to hear! Are you making a video for this year’s comp?

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 5:28 PM, Verve said:

Oh how fantastic, Verve! I really want a standard poodle one day. I signed up for Recallers after all that positive feedback. We are on Day 3. Already their impulse control is improving with the ItsYerChoice game. All three of mine are loving it, even my 12 year old staffy x rescue lady.  I"m looking forward to seeing how far they'll go!

• Like 1