Dog toys not made in China? Recommendations please?

westiemum

Hi All,

For the first time in living memory I have a new westie girl (not a puppy farm rescue) who actually likes to play with dog toys.  I've looked in two shops but they are all, absolutely all made in China, which makes me nervous (whats in the plastic? And they don't look at all flash or safe). 

Does anyone know of a brand of an Australian made brand of dog toys?  Or have a brand they recommend?

Or am I being overly cautious/nervous?

Thanks all. 

Thanks Perse - I'll have a look - do you have any specific recommendations for westie size dogs?  I have very little experience with dog toys and I'm honestly not sure what's suitable and what isn't.  I have a 'Bobalot' from Mac days, which I'll try and find and see if she likes that as well.  She liked a squeaky pig thing at a friends place last week but it was made in China and I wasn't overly thrilled with it. 

I make 3 different types that sell on Craft for Paws, who raise money for 11 different animal rescue groups. All the ones I make are made from fleece fabric. I make a pom pom ball (for a dog who likes balls but doesn't like hard rubber ones) for $5, a squeaky stuffed dog bone for $5 and my latest is a crinkle chew which is a large bone shaped toy with a plait tug off the bottom, stuffed corners and you can put an empty water bottle inside the back of it for $10. I've added a link to the last album. If you like any and want any in a certain colour or print I'd be happy to make and send to you for a like donation to Craft for Paws (also tax deductible). You will see some other dog toys in the album. Mine will be be listed as 'Made by Alyson Dean'. You'll need to scroll down to the sold section to find them (if you can't find let me know and I'll post pics of them here). New items are loaded every Sunday night at 8pm. People buy straight away but as I said, happy to make for you for the same donation if you like the look of the toys I am currently making.

• Like 2

Not Australian but well-made.

Planet Dog

Busy Buddy

Kyjen / Outward Hound

Kong (they have loads of toys, not just the classic Kongs)

Snuffle mat (home made or numerous Aus sellers)

Buster (cube, maze)

Zippy Paws*

Oh, there’s also Aussie Dog Products but I associate them with dogs for staffies and lions.

*have not bought but the burrows look so cute for dogs who like soft squeaky toys!

Edited by Papillon Kisses

You gotta read the fine print, no matter where it comes from.  The Chinese are fast learners, and an increasing large number of Chinese products are quality.  Meanwhile, regulatory control is dying in the USA, and you can expect more crap from that direction.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I haven’t purchased it myself, but others recommend JW brand toys. You can get a hollee roller and stuff it with strips of fabric, with or without treats, for dogs to destuff.

Big JW fans in this house. Stussy loves the Hollee Roller! I stuff with stuffing and strips of fleece and she gets in there and rips it all out and I stuff it all back in and put it back in the cupboard!

Craft for Paws also have snuffle mats and more recently someone is making snuffle balls.

• Like 2

There will sure to be a local craft/sewing group near you WM (commonly called stitch and bitch clubs), maybe ask if they can make you some.

and...

where do you think you get off saying that you HAVE A NEW PUP and not posting photos

and...

A WESTIE AT THAT

I can't believe you would do that!

:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boronia said:

There will sure to be a local craft/sewing group near you WM (commonly called stitch and bitch clubs), maybe ask if they can make you some.

and...

where do you think you get off saying that you HAVE A NEW PUP and not posting photos

and...

A WESTIE AT THAT

I can't believe you would do that!

:laugh:

:laugh:  Haha!  Thanks B - I have a legitimate excuse.  I got her, then promptly  moved house (60 km) and am still up to my eyeballs in boxes.  (Anyone like to unpack a box this arvo in return for beautiful McLaren Vale wine and a lunch and/or dinner and a cuddle with my gorgeous pair? LOL!). 

I promise I'll introduce her properly in the next week or so - after I get some good photos of her.  She came from Christine Moore, a brilliant breeder from Port Macquarie.   And to satisfy the westie lovers heres a photo of her on a bed, just after she arrived. And yes she is the most lovely natured beautiful girl!  A real smoocher!

5b259b5c329ad_MiaandAndyMay2018.thumb.jpg.5b42383d55507cc8d3d29f9a64a43ed3.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks everyone - it sure shows how out of touch I am with the dog toy world - I've never heard of some of these. 

Thanks so much - lots of exciting things to explore for my girl - that hollee roller sounds like great fun!  

18 minutes ago, westiemum said:

:laugh:  Haha!  Thanks B - I have a legitimate excuse.  I got her, then promptly  moved house (60 km) and am still up to my eyeballs in boxes.  (Anyone like to unpack a box this arvo in return for beautiful McLaren Vale wine and a lunch and/or dinner and a cuddle with my gorgeous pair? LOL!). 

I promise I'll introduce her properly in the next week or so - after I get some good photos of her.  She came from Christine Moore, a brilliant breeder from Port Macquarie.   And to satisfy the westie lovers heres a photo of her on a bed, just after she arrived. And yes she is the most lovely natured beautiful girl!  A real smoocher!

5b259b5c329ad_MiaandAndyMay2018.thumb.jpg.5b42383d55507cc8d3d29f9a64a43ed3.jpg

image.thumb.png.1c731d178b4c089f4f282b24ab4ec8db.png

10 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

I make 3 different types that sell on Craft for Paws, who raise money for 11 different animal rescue groups. All the ones I make are made from fleece fabric. I make a pom pom ball (for a dog who likes balls but doesn't like hard rubber ones) for $5, a squeaky stuffed dog bone for $5 and my latest is a crinkle chew which is a large bone shaped toy with a plait tug off the bottom, stuffed corners and you can put an empty water bottle inside the back of it for $10. I've added a link to the last album. If you like any and want any in a certain colour or print I'd be happy to make and send to you for a like donation to Craft for Paws (also tax deductible). You will see some other dog toys in the album. Mine will be be listed as 'Made by Alyson Dean'. You'll need to scroll down to the sold section to find them (if you can't find let me know and I'll post pics of them here). New items are loaded every Sunday night at 8pm. People buy straight away but as I said, happy to make for you for the same donation if you like the look of the toys I am currently making.

LG these are perfect! Exactly what I was looking for!   I'll PM you. 

Edited by westiemum
Damn spelling!

20 hours ago, Little Gifts said:

There is a gorgeous westie embroidered hand towel coming up tonight too! Not made by me of course. Also MTD does the most beautiful animal themed accessories. We are very fond of our individualised poo bag holders in this house!

Uhm... yes its sold  - its mine! LOL!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:11 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

So... bought anything yet? :provoke::laugh: 

Yep!  Bought three from Little Gifts.  Exactly what I was looking for.  I'll post photos when they arrive.  Mia is very excited. And after they arrive I'll look amongst all your suggestions for the next lot!   Thanks everyone - really appreciate your help and advice. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1