Barking collar advice

Kazm

The BarkGuard starter kit works ok, I put it on Zara who barkedbarkedbarkedbarkedbarkedbarkedbarkedbarked

It's a citronella spray. I only kept it on a few hours each day for a couple of days, I then turned it upside-down so the spray went towards the ground, then I left it on whilst it was empty.

Closer-to-the-ground dogs do have trouble going down steps as the reservoir bumps on the steps and it sprays so the collar needs to be taken off at 'go outside' times then put back on if that Lhasa apso is barking in the yard.

Zara didn't mind the collar and was happy to put it on; it almost seemed that she wasn't required to bark as part of her doggie-duties...go figure

edited to add; I don't want to sell Zara's bark collar but if you would like me to post it to you for the duration of your Lhasa apso minding I can post it off to you tomorrow and you could post it back to me when noisy-dog is finished being minded.

Message me your address

Edited by Boronia

I think, in Zena’s mum’s case, considering why this dog is barking and addressing that beats either of these options. :)

Is this the dog you’ve talked about elsewhere, Zena’s mum? It’s highly likely that it is stressed. It is having a hard time, not giving you one, as frustrating as I know it is (believe me, I have a dog who barks incessantly when stressed due to his anxiety disorder). If you are willing to spend money, may I suggest Adaptil and Zylkene instead. You can also try a ttouch half wrap using a scarf or bandage, or alternatively a T-shirt wrapped firmly, as a DYI Thundershirt; playing some gentle classical music; keeping the dog with you if separation is the problem; a quiet place in case external noises are a problem - perhaps a covered crate with door open? Perhaps fashion a bellyband for the toiliting issue.

Wrap: http://www.allpetseducationandtraining.com.au/ttouch-wrap.html

Sample of the best music for dogs I’ve found but any will do: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-szLQy7JHg

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I’m hoping you got the owners permission before using such a tool (assuming this is the Lhasa apso). 

Perhsps someone one else can take the dog for a LONG walk so you can get some rest? Thinking you are probably feeling very tired and desperate. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boronia said:

edited to add; I don't want to sell Zara's bark collar but if you would like me to post it to you for the duration of your Lhasa apso minding I can post it off to you tomorrow and you could post it back to me when noisy-dog is finished being minded.

Message me your address

Thanks boronia. Very nice of you to offer but at this stage I will leave it. Still working on options. Plan B for Oreo is in place tonight and fingers crossed we all sleep well. But thanks anyway. I do appreciate it. 

2 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I think, in Zena’s mum’s case, considering why this dog is barking and addressing that beats either of these options. :)

Is this the dog you’ve talked about elsewhere, Zena’s mum? It’s highly likely that it is stressed. It is having a hard time, not giving you one, as frustrating as I know it is (believe me, I have a dog who barks incessantly when stressed due to his anxiety disorder). If you are willing to spend money, may I suggest Adaptil and Zylkene instead. You can also try a ttouch half wrap using a scarf or bandage, or alternatively a T-shirt wrapped firmly, as a DYI Thundershirt; playing some gentle classical music; keeping the dog with you if separation is the problem; a quiet place in case external noises are a problem - perhaps a covered crate with door open? Perhaps fashion a bellyband for the toiliting issue.

Wrap: http://www.allpetseducationandtraining.com.au/ttouch-wrap.html

Sample of the best music for dogs I’ve found but any will do: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-szLQy7JHg

Yes this is about the dog I’ve mentioned in other threads. I totally get why he is behaving like this. Even though his first night was perfect. He has been here before and was ok then. No problems. It just isn’t about the night yapping. I believe we now may have that sorted. It’s about his whole behaviour. Seeing him with his owner and how she was with him shows lack of basic training. I have dogs staying with us very frequently and these others all know my house rules and behave accordingly. I just had one little guy here a week ago and he was exceptional. His last stay was over a year ago. But it was as if he remembered. 

And as for the toileting issue, this dog is well over 12 months old and his owner still gives him treats if he actually pees outside. To me this is ridiculous. Sorry if I offend anyone but that’s just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Thistle the dog said:

I’m hoping you got the owners permission before using such a tool (assuming this is the Lhasa apso). 

Perhsps someone one else can take the dog for a LONG walk so you can get some rest? Thinking you are probably feeling very tired and desperate. 

46 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Scent games may also tire dog out and be calming at the same time e.g. https://www.dog-games.co.uk/sprinkles-tm/ or just hiding food around the house. :) 

Very tired but not desperate. Just honestly have never had a dog behave like this one. We have others here all the time and never have problems. Just taking a bit to sort him out but plan b seems to be working.

This dog should have been tired enough. We have a huge back yard and Molly was running zoomies with him on and  off during the day. I also spend a lot of time outside making sure they are kept busy and not bored. I always have ball games but that’s where things differ. This guy doesn’t even know how to play fetch and as for hiding food etc I don’t think it would work as I called him for a treat this morning and I dropped it as he came to me and he literally walked on it. He certainly hasn’t got a schnauzers nose for food.