10 month kelpie exercise.

Hello, I have a 10 month old kelpie and I was wondering how much I should be giving him everyday? I walk him to the park each day and we’ll throw the ball around. The only thing is he will just keep playing which I had expected him to do due to his breed. He is my first dog that I’ve raised (I also have a rescue dog who is 12).I’ve had a border collie when I was younger and she would play until we gave up and even then she would still want to play. If you guys could help me out in how long we should play for as im worried to over work him whilst he’s young.

thank you.

I would suggest that this be moved to General Discussion. Please @Troy :)

Firstly, love that you’re asking the question!

Secondly, as someone who does Retrieving with working Gundogs please, please, please no chasing balls unless it’s a controlled retrieve ie sit, throw the ball, ball stops, release to retrieve. It does terrible things to cruciates when dogs skid into moving retrieves repeatedly. That is a TREAT for my dogs but 90% are on controlled retrieves on dummies. 

Thirdly, moderation is the key! An on leash walk where nice, relaxed walking is reinforced, an off leash free run to sniff, a social outing where pup learns to interact calmly or ignore or lie quietly (eg cafe) and BUCKET loads of short (2-3 min) training sessions at home - recalls, sits, drops, shaping, core strengthening, body awareness, impulse control...the list goes on!

• Like 1