Expose into Dog Food on The 7.30 Report

Tonight Tuesday 19 June ABC TV.  I’ve seen only the previews, but doesn’t look too good :(  :(

The only prepared food I use these days is Royal Canin Renal.  And the only treats I buy are certified to contain only product - no additives, artificial colourings etc - and only made in Australia.  Labelling is often not only just misleading, but also downright criminal because there are so many ways to get around the so called “guidelines”.   

Sorry DDD I’m not super familiar with TV channels. What time slot is it so I can set up a record with fetch? Eg the news or the 7:30pm?

edit. Never mind it’s in your title! Ok think I have the TV set up from my mobile. Fingers crossed that works 

Edited by Thistle the dog

I'm still on a US group for LP-GOLPP from Mac days - and the number of pet food recalls that c ome through on that feed in the US is truly horrifying. 

I'll never understand how people can put their precious four-leggeds at such risk by feeding them this stuff.  Particularly as the appalling way the pet food industry operates has been known for years.  Its nothing but Maccas for dogs.   I feed myself nothing but 'whole foods' and I feed my pups nothing but human grade raw whole foods either. Do people really believe that pet food companies have the health of their pets at heart at the expense of their profits? Nuts if they do. :( 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, westiemum said:

Do people really believe that pet food companies have the health of their pets at heart at the expense of their profits? Nuts if they do. :( 

Convenience trumps all, westiemum.  You only have to look at the ever growing incidence of obesity in dogs and humans.  And I have to plead guilty too once upon a time for buying cans although I haven’t done that for years.  I still envy those people who scoop a cup of dried food out of a bag and that’s feeding the dog done.  I wouldn’t do it though now that I know better.  

@Thistle the dog ABC 21 after the 7pm news.  The program is called The 7.30 Report.  

• Like 1

I forgot to watch it :o.  But anyone who listens to the news and takes an interest in their health of their dogs and cats really should know of the horrors.  Manufacturers of dried baby milk use dangerous and poisonous fillers for these products .....  do you really think they’d care about what goes into dog food?  

Sounds like business as usual.  I'd love to see a critical doco on raw food practices as well.  I've seen some pretty slimy frames and bones being sold as pet food in Oz.  I'm in NZ now...a gross very fatty product is marketed locally as being 'natural'.  Dogs have been fed garbage from the earliest domestication.  They seem to do ok on many things, including some pretty revolting stuff.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Sounds like business as usual.  I'd love to see a critical doco on raw food practices as well.  I've seen some pretty slimy frames and bones being sold as pet food in Oz.  I'm in NZ now...a gross very fatty product is marketed locally as being 'natural'.  Dogs have been fed garbage from the earliest domestication.  They seem to do ok on many things, including some pretty revolting stuff.  

Yep agreed - which is why I buy human grade, necks, frames and raw mixture (Pete's Petfoods for anyone in Adelaide). 

22 hours ago, Helen&thehounds said:

I just watched it on iView- it's the segment after mortgage and interest rates- scary. 

I thought I didn't have time to do all the balancing and mixing for raw food feeding. .. but maybe I will find the time. 

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/7-30

Watch here if interested. 

And if time is a problem, see if you can find a reliable local raw supplier - there's sure to be one in your neck of the woods somewhere - they are worth their weight in gold.  Terry who operates Pets Petfoods here is a legend. And if he can he will even customise for me.  

• Like 2

I’m hoping this inquiry will cover more than kibble and canned. I have to be so careful where I get my meats because not all of the raw food companies popping up seem to know all the food handling guidance and management? I’ve seen moldy dried bones in pet stores and meat definitely almost off so hopefully that be in scope too... 

ps I bought 4 sheep hearts for $3 in coles this week in the ppl food section. Pleased. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 2

On 19/06/2018 at 9:11 AM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

Tonight Tuesday 19 June ABC TV.  I’ve seen only the previews, but doesn’t look too good :(  :(

The only prepared food I use these days is Royal Canin Renal.  And the only treats I buy are certified to contain only product - no additives, artificial colourings etc - and only made in Australia.  Labelling is often not only just misleading, but also downright criminal because there are so many ways to get around the so called “guidelines”.   

It is incredibly frustrating that products like Royal Canin are so vague in their labelling. It took ages to get them to provide accurate information about the synthetic preservatives they use in their range - and have just introduced to Eukanuba since moving its manufacturing from the US to France.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:10 PM, Christine_72 said:

@westiemum Where's Pete's Petfood located? I googled, and nothing came up. I'm down South, not far from Mclaren Vale.

Hi Christine_72.  No nothing will come up on google - its a 'one man' operation and he works entirely on referrals.  His name is Terry ('Pete' is his dog) and his food is human grade.   He delivers as far as McLaren Vale and is here once a month.  I'll PM you his phone number. 

• Thanks 1