Picking a breeder

John W

Hi, My name's John and I'm semi-retiring about March-June next year and moving into a moderate house - which i want a dog for. I've been researching up on what sort of dog would suit me and just as importantly I suit it and I think I'm leaning towards a Boston Terrier at this stage.

During my research I've come across forums like this and seen discussions on irresponsible breeders, even one's registered with Dogs NSW and... is it... ANKC? (anyway the national breeders association).

So my question is, how do you pick a breeder that's more concerned with producing dogs for their health rather than some ridiculous and unhealthy standard just to win medals at a dog show? I want a pedigree, and all the papers and official docs and the res of it, which pushed me to breeders that have "show dogs" listed in their web-site, but I'm wary that because they're breeding "show dogs" they're breeding for looks above health.

Am I wrong to be wary on that? Is there somewhere I can look for breeders producing healthy pups for a healthy life while still meeting all pedigree requirements? Can anybody recommend any Boston Terrier breeders breeding for the health of the breed above medals?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, be wary.  Show winning and health can be at odds, especially for relatively rare (in Oz) brachycephalic breeds.  Read up on breed health problems...Boston's have many....but there are some very healthy and athletic Bostons (in the USA...less sure about  Oz where Bostons are rare and expensive).  Ask breeders how their breeding choices work to avoid know breed health problems.  Also use your eyes.  Steniotic nares are a very bad sign, and it's good to see some nose sticking out... even if that doesn't lead to a title in the show ring.  Color is insignificant to health in this breed (no double Merles, no congenital deafness of the overly white), but breed standards can exclude various colors from showing.

Note, few Bostons are free whelping, most deliver via Cesarian section, and litter size isn't large.  So finding a good pup may take time and be expensive.  They can be great little dogs.

• Like 1

Breeders are far and few between with a long waiting period .

Phone the breeders in your state and talk to them ,ask about health testing .

Al, the ones I have meet are very hardy and lived a very healthy long age .

Litter sizes are small and not bred often.

A good breeder will happily chat .

There where some scams happening with puppies advertised but no pups .

There are a number of good breeders in Oz ,contact them and be prepared for a long wait or look at another breed 

• Like 1

I think you are wrong to be wary. I think you would be more likely to get a healthy pup from a breeder who actually shows or whose dogs are shown.  Find out what health problems can occur, find out what can be tested for, and find a breeder who is happy to show you all the paperwork for the parents health tests and possibly even the pups health testing. ( some breeds test puppies for deafness before selling them, for example)  You also need to keep in mind that sh!t can happen no matter how careful everybody is. Go to some shows if you can, talk to some breeders, develop a relationship and be prepared to wait quite a while.

• Like 3

Am I allowed on these forums to directly name a breeder to ask if anyone's had any experience and/or opinions on them? The breeder in question breeds a number of breeds, not just Boston Terriers, for show. The premises all look professional and clean via their photo's but I'd like to know if they've got a reputation that people know of, either good or bad.

3 hours ago, John W said:

Am I allowed on these forums to directly name a breeder to ask if anyone's had any experience and/or opinions on them? The breeder in question breeds a number of breeds, not just Boston Terriers, for show. The premises all look professional and clean via their photo's but I'd like to know if they've got a reputation that people know of, either good or bad.

well I had a quick Google for Boston breeders and came across some 'breeder'

I went :eek: at their list

Beagle - Beaglier (Beagle x Cavalier) - Boston Terrier - Bugg (Boston Terrier x Pug) - Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - Cavalier x - Cavador (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Labrador Retriever) - Cava Tzu (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Shih Tzu) - Cavoodle (Cavalier x Poodle) - Cockalier (Cocker Spaniel x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) - Cocker Spaniel - French Bulldog - Frug (French Bulldog x Pug) - Labradoodle (Labrador Retriever x Poodle) - Labrador Retriever - Maltalier (Maltese x Cavalier) - Moodle (Maltese x Poodle) - Pomeranian - Poochi (Poodle x Chihuahua) - Poodle - Pug - Pug Zu (Pug x Shih Tzu) - Pugalier (Pug x Cavalier) - Puggle (Pug x Beagle) - Samoyed - Schnoodle (Schnauzer x Poodle) - Shoodle - Siberian Husky - Spoodle (Cocker Spaniel x Poodle) - Speagle (Cocker Spaniel x Beagle) - Welsh Corgi

there is another advertising with a  breeder number that has Boston's and Boston x for sale

There appears to be a large amount of shonks out there so you would be best to contact the NSW breed club and have a chat, or go to a show and ask the Boston owner's if you can contact them when they are not so busy to talk about owning a Boston.

The list of shows are here; maybe contact the show secretary to ask if there will be any Boston's   https://www.dogzonline.com.au/event-diary/list.asp?state=NSW

edited to add; post on this forum and BoStoNmAdNeSs will most likely get back to you

Edited by Boronia

The one I'm referring to says they expect to have puppies available in the time-frame I'll be looking and have invited me to apply - I have to pass their test as an owner, which I take as a good sign.

But again, I'd like to know if I can name them on here and see if anyone's had any experience with them either first hand or word of mouth with any of the breeds they breed - good or bad.

But I don't want to breach forum etiquette if there's a no naming policy, So, can I?

21 minutes ago, John W said:

The one I'm referring to says they expect to have puppies available in the time-frame I'll be looking and have invited me to apply - I have to pass their test as an owner, which I take as a good sign.

But again, I'd like to know if I can name them on here and see if anyone's had any experience with them either first hand or word of mouth with any of the breeds they breed - good or bad.

But I don't want to breach forum etiquette if there's a no naming policy, So, can I?

message BoStoNmAdNeSs  and ask him as I have an idea that DOLers can recommend a breeder (and often do) but it would be difficult to comment (especially negatively) about a breeder without getting in all sorts of poo

From reading the for sale ads on-line it would seem to be the better bet to contact breeders who do show, at least you can talk to them and get advice on who to contact about buying a pup

Morning John,

The first thing is that you're going to have to establish a relationship with a good breeder. That will mean email and a phone call or two or three. The breeders that are most concerned about the health, temperament and everything else you're looking for will be more than happy to spend that time, get to know you and (for themselves) be happy they've found a good home for their pups.

If you call a breeder and they just say no problems, will sell you a pup in a month or two, I'd be darn worried about that person (and there are one or two around, I am happy to give you advice in private on one to avoid).

I can recommend you a breeder or two also in private. One of my breeders has retired (shame as she had cracking dogs) but I know of some others who are exactly what you need. Having said all that, the GOOD ones have pups coming along very irregularly. The 'shonky' ones...always have them available.

As for the breed themselves, you can't go wrong. They're fantastic pets and as funny as any pet you can ever have.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Breeders are far and few between with a long waiting period .

Phone the breeders in your state and talk to them ,ask about health testing .

Al, the ones I have meet are very hardy and lived a very healthy long age .

Litter sizes are small and not bred often.

A good breeder will happily chat .

There where some scams happening with puppies advertised but no pups .

There are a number of good breeders in Oz ,contact them and be prepared for a long wait or look at another breed 

Yep - stay away from Gumtree in particular. A MILLION miles away for that matter

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

has she settled in at well at home ,  I love her name

As if she owns it, which I guess she does.

The amount of people when I tell them her name that then assume she's a boy... I always think - do they not know? Galaxy's greatest hero and they DO NOT KNOW?!?!?

Edited by John W
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1