Boxers and BSL in Vic

BarbedWire

Hi all, We are a boxer family and my son who is living in Victoria and has just moved in to his own home wants a boxer. He has seen one on the internet and would like to check it out but it does not have papers. Is it safe to have an unpapered boxer in Victoria or can someone claim it is one of the restricted breeds (pit bull) and therefore must meet the special requirements for restricted breeds. Here is a photo. Does it look sufficiently boxerish to be safe?

$_20.JPG

Yeah, boxers look quite different to pitties etc because they're brachy. They're also pretty common, my brother had an unpapered boxer (pet shop purchase, sigh) who only recently passed and as everyone could identify him as a boxer (they've seen so many they know what they look like) he was fine. 

I think you'll be perfectly fine, even without pedigree papers :) 

I have a very blocky dog in VIC but so far only one person has asked if she's a pitbull in the 3 years she's been here (she isn't). The one you posted...I doubt will EVER be asked, very boxer adorable face :)  Tell your son to go meet it!

If you get one with rANKC registration  papers there will never, under any circumstances be any trouble with councils and BSL.  And if you go for a health tested one, there will probably  be no health issues either.

• Like 1

Yes Jed in an ideal world that is what we would do of course. He doesn't want a pup because no-one will be home during the day to feed it so it has to be an older dog. All the older dogs on DOL are not suitable, in some cases because they are not good with cats and he has a cat. Also when a young couple have just bought a home in Melbourne they don't have much money left over. Anyway the one in the OP has gone. In a few weeks (I am giving him a cooling off period because dogs should not be acquired on impulse) I will be contacting a friend who has breeder contacts in Melbourne and hopefully he will be able to pick up a failed show dog from a breeder. 

• Like 2