Clipper recommendations

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

Pretty please with cherries on top, may I ask for some grooming clipper recommendations?

Currently using Wahl Showpro, which are good. The problem is because I am very slow, they get hot before I am half way. 

I will do my best to put a pic of the little spunky boy with his "this is the worst blow wave I've ever had" face :rofl:

I found my problem with heating clippers was that i wasn't oiling all the points, just the blades. You need to put a drop of oil on any parts that move.

unnamed.jpg

Other tips from a grooming site are to have multiple blades and when one gets hot, put it on a marble tile (cools it fast) and continue with a fresh blade. The pages don't recommend cooling spray as it eventually gums up, but I've used it with no issues.

I have Wahl KM2s

Edited by karen15

This is from our groom last weekend. I prefer to use a mars coat king to remove undercoat. The piles left and right are from the coat king, middle is clipping head, neck, throat, legs, paws of the cocker. You can see how short her coat is after. Lovely and tight. It's taken three years to get there, after she was clipped the first three years of her life. 

IMG_20180624_121111-1248x1664.jpg

IMG_20180623_155526-1664x1248.jpg

Edited by karen15

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks Karen!

I will Google your clippers.

It's the clippers in my hand that is hot, the blades are ok. (I should have said that, sorry)

Beautiful dog you have :love:

I have always used Wahl KM 2. Found them to be great. I did a groom yesterday on an extremely matted dog. It took 3 hours and they never got hot. They performed well. 

Guest crazydoglady99

I've only had them a few months, I think probably I just need something a bit better.

I hope you had a nice peaceful night sleep Zena!! :sleep:

Thank you both very muchly :)

The clippers you brought aren't designed for big clipping jobs ,there really designed for feet/face & basic tidy ups & shorter coats.
They are also well known for over heating .

If you are wanting to do your own dog regularly then buying a good set to start with is the only way ,they  will last you many years .
KM2 are work horses & your oster  ,you will need to buy extra blades ,not sure about the clip on combs that came with your set if there interchangeable .
Good clippers do cost but they last a long time & you need to replace the lever,tongue maybe once a year or less often if your just doing one dog.That is where the blade attaches ,they wear out .
Our original oster are still going nearly 30 plus yrs although we use Double K in the salon

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks dogs! I think you are right.

And in hindsight, I let his fortnightly bath & trim go for an extra week as we were all sick. So I'd say that is most likely why today took me ages!

Looks like we'll be upgrading before our next groom.

Thanks heaps!

13 hours ago, crazydoglady99 said:

I've only had them a few months, I think probably I just need something a bit better.

I hope you had a nice peaceful night sleep Zena!! :sleep:

Thank you both very muchly :)

Peaceful night? What are those? Yes the Lhasa apso went home but another dog came to stay for this week. He is a schnauzer and a lovely boy who has been to our house loads of times but just for grooming, never a stay. So that’s all new to him. He wasn’t too bad but did whine on a few occasions and I had to take him out at 2am for a toilet run. He also has diabetes so I’ve still got my work cut out for me. Hopefully tonight he will be the “perfect” dog.

On 02/07/2018 at 1:41 PM, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Zena's mum  Maybe you need a rest from other peoples dog , for a little while at least.  Have some time for yourself,   peace  &  quiet :)

Thanks for caring Pandi Girl. Just super busy with the others at present but in about 3 weeks time we’ve got about a month free. We are planning to get away then. I do agree though a bit of peace and quiet and some days just spent with Molly would be great. Sometimes I feel a bit dogged out. 

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

So I'm here trying to get my head around all the weird options that come with the KM2 clippers..

And I now realise you don't have to use those crappy plastic blade covers!!!! Haha there's hope for me yet!!!!

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh my goodness, cannot thank you all enough for the clipper recommendations! The KM2 are AWESOME!!!!!!

On 05/07/2018 at 7:27 AM, crazydoglady99 said:

So I'm here trying to get my head around all the weird options that come with the KM2 clippers..

And I now realise you don't have to use those crappy plastic blade covers!!!! Haha there's hope for me yet!!!!

The cheap brands don’t come with options hence why there cheap and burn out quickly .

With the pro clippers yes they cost more and the blades do too but looked after correctly will last longer than your dog ,our original inters are 30 yrs and still going.

Blades can be re sharpened .

You can still use clip on combs on pro clippers with the #10 blade but buying a #7:3:4 or a 5 will give the same results and easier for novices at times .

Che k your prices before buying blades some places are ridiculously expensive,we normally bring ours in from the US when they have there big sales 

Guest crazydoglady99

Thanks dogs,  that's great to know!

I decided I needed to learn a bit more before buying extra blades, as I haven't decided which length I like his coat best! So I got the metal clip on covers for now to experiment with.

Clippers are sooo much nicer to use without the crappy covers.

I have a whole new appreciation for dog groomers! How you guys & gals manage to make any profit is a miracle!

Edit to add a pic of his fresh hairdo!

Resized_20180714_141342.jpeg

Edited by crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

This is me with my new clippers. Literally cannot get over how fab they are!!!

Thank you all so so much for the recommendations!!!

200w(3).gif