Any help would be greatly appreciated...

liah_88

I stumbled across this forum today researching wormers and flea treatments for our new 4-month-old Springer pup, and was wondering if anyone could provide any answers regarding the recent passing of our three-year-old Golden.

She had various blood clots in her body and her platelets had separated from her blood and filled in her stomach causing what we initially thought was bloat. We ran her straight to the emergency vet but a day later she sadly died. The strange symptoms sort of began about a month prior, after we moved into a new house and decided to change her food as the original food she was on (Pedigree Dry Food) was a suspect to her putting on a lot of weight. We put her on Applaws and then she started to have diarroeha, so thus we thought the change in food might have upset her stomach and we waited to see if it cleared up. It did, however she was constantly hungry so we slowly reintroduced Pedigree again as she seemed to prefer it, and then the bloating and vomiting happened and we took her to the vet. 

Unfortunately, the vet didn't have any real explanation as to what happened and what may have caused it, however due to its sudden onset we wondered if it was more than a blood condition as she sort of theorised.

Any help regarding what may have happened would be wonderful and may provide a bit of closure for our family.

Fluid filled stomach says liver issues to me... but without a necropsy you'll never know exactly what the cause was unfortunately...

The other thing that springs to mind is some sort of toxin she may have ingested? Toxic plants in the new yard? Some sort of fertiliser or snail baits... slugs... could be any number of things really...

Sorry I'm not much help...

Hugs to you and your family in any case... losing a fur family member is never easy...

T.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Fluid filled stomach says liver issues to me... but without a necropsy you'll never know exactly what the cause was unfortunately...

The other thing that springs to mind is some sort of toxin she may have ingested? Toxic plants in the new yard? Some sort of fertiliser or snail baits... slugs... could be any number of things really...

Sorry I'm not much help...

Hugs to you and your family in any case... losing a fur family member is never easy...

T.

Thank you so much for your reply :) 

I never thought about a toxin in the yard, she did like running around the yard and found a few balls so that could definitely have been a cause.

• Like 1

Oleander is a killer one and a half  leaves, even dead and dried will kill a horse, as is any plant that exudes white sap. 

Can't remember the symptoms, but only chance of saving them is multiple blood replacement until out of the system and can still die 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 04/07/2018 at 5:46 PM, persephone said:

Sorry you lost your girl :(  it is almost impossible to diagnose from the information your provided , sadly .....
Are you in that same house now ? 

Yes we're still in the same house unfortunately as we rent and it's quite hard to move, however for our puppy we currently don't let her use the back yard which we previously used, only the front yard

• Like 1

On 04/07/2018 at 10:41 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Spleen issues ,plenty of options ,did the vet ever suggest and ultrasound to even check for tumours 

From what I remember she didn't have any tumours that they found, they did an xray and possibly an ultrasound but the xray came back inconclusive

On 05/07/2018 at 11:43 AM, asal said:

Oleander is a killer one and a half  leaves, even dead and dried will kill a horse, as is any plant that exudes white sap. 

Can't remember the symptoms, but only chance of saving them is multiple blood replacement until out of the system and can still die 

Thank you for this information, I haven't heard of the plant before so I shall definitely have a look in the light to see if it's in the garden or anywhere where we may have taken her

21 hours ago, Her Majesty Dogmad said:

I've now read about 3 deaths in dogs recently that were caused by them eating fungus growing in the backyard.  I've always pulled it out as i found it but my dogs wouldn't eat it however pups and other curious dogs obviously do and it's fatal.

That's really interesting, we have a few family friends who have had their dogs pass in similar timeframes (within about a day of showing symptoms) so this is a real eye-opener.

On 7/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, asal said:

other killers are poinsettia,  daffodil bulbs, Daphne plant surprisingly,  avacado leaves 

Theres a lot of rubbish written about plant toxicity.

Daffodil bulbs don't kill.  They lead to violent puking (been there...my mum cooked some up thinking they were shallots...we puked, the dog did too after getting the leftovers).  Persin, the toxic component in avocado, is very toxic to birds and may be poison to sheep and goats.  I doubt any dog would eat enough avocado leaves to poison themself.  I know dogs who have pigged out eating the fruits (same toxin) and been fine.  Poison control says blockage from the pips can be lethal.  Many other plants are technically poisonous to dogs, azalea, rhodedendron, all cycads, etc.  Thing is, dogs don't eat them.  Yes, you have to be careful with puppies, but you also have to watch that they don't choke on socks or pig out on sand.

I'd wager that more dogs die of blockage from eating corn cobs, toys, and clothing than from eating garden plants.

Edited by sandgrubber
Further thoughts

On 11/07/2018 at 10:35 PM, liah_88 said:

Thank you for this information, I haven't heard of the plant before so I shall definitely have a look in the light to see if it's in the garden or anywhere where we may have taken her

A baby became very ill and the hospital worked out it was oleander, when her bedroom was examined they discovered oleander pollen on the window sill, the marks of her fingers could be seen where she had played with it and must have sucked her fingers, so all parts are poisonious, the pollen of Paterson curse is too they have found the toxin in the honey, few know that, although Patterson's curse like fireweed is accumulative unlike oleander one dose of can kill

On 11/07/2018 at 10:34 PM, liah_88 said:

From what I remember she didn't have any tumours that they found, they did an xray and possibly an ultrasound but the xray came back inconclusive

I lost a dog to pancreatic cancer that had spread over his entire pancreas, the lower portion of his stomach, the upper portion of his small intestines and all over the mesentery. Imaging (x-rays and ultrasound) failed to pick it up. It wasn't until the vet decided to do a laparotomy that they discovered it. Inconclusive imaging doesn't mean there wasn't something there.

My boy had similar symptoms- blood in his stomach (but also leaking out into his peritoneal cavity, from bleeding lesions on his small intestines) that made him look bloated, vomiting, diarrhoea and issues with his blood. The vet gave him three separate transfusions of fresh frozen plasma and it didn't help his bloods at all. 

In our case, there was nothing that could be done, but the worst part of it was that we didn't suspect cancer at all. He was perfectly normal (his version of normal, anyway) up until five days before he died. That's how fast and sneaky cancer can be, unfortunately.

On 14/07/2018 at 1:05 PM, sandgrubber said:

Theres a lot of rubbish written about plant toxicity.

Daffodil bulbs don't kill.  They lead to violent puking (been there...my mum cooked some up thinking they were shallots...we puked, the dog did too after getting the leftovers).  Persin, the toxic component in avocado, is very toxic to birds and may be poison to sheep and goats.  I doubt any dog would eat enough avocado leaves to poison themself.  I know dogs who have pigged out eating the fruits (same toxin) and been fine.  Poison control says blockage from the pips can be lethal.  Many other plants are technically poisonous to dogs, azalea, rhodedendron, all cycads, etc.  Thing is, dogs don't eat them.  Yes, you have to be careful with puppies, but you also have to watch that they don't choke on socks or pig out on sand.

I'd wager that more dogs die of blockage from eating corn cobs, toys, and clothing than from eating garden plants.

thanks for that, can add sheepskin to the list, a friends dog stopped pooping and eating, vet discovered his stomach and an awful lot of his intestines were full of wool. he had pulled the wool out of a sheepskin and ate????? it.  totally blocked forget what the bill was for opening him up and pulling out all that impacted wool out. but it was a big bill