Vets and lack of knowledge

DD that's interesting.  I'm the opposite and lucky.  The practice I continue to use in Adelaide on the Parade at Norwood, has such wonderful vets that I just book at a time that suits me and see whoever is on - have only had one dud there in well over 12 years.  It's great going to a practice where you know the owner vet is very particular about who he employs (although maybe my reputation precedes me as well LOL!).  As I mentioned in this or the other vet thread, years ago there was a silly young thing there - and she didn't last long so I suspect I wasn't the only one unhappy with her 'smart arse' attitude.   So there are great practices around - and we're lucky here in Adelaide there seem to be a few here - The Parade Norwood,  Payneham, Noahs Crossing, Springbank Road, Anzac Highway Emergency to name a few. 

• Like 2

On 19/07/2018 at 11:02 PM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

@ish   :mad  :mad  :mad

I have been going to the same vet practice for over 10 years.  Two of the vets are excellent, the others are very very good, except for one to whom I wouldn’t take a pet rock.  It is a total mystery to me (and others I’ve spoken to over the years) how she continues to be employed there.  

DDD, as you know I used the same vet practice as you when we lived in the area totally agree with your assessment.  The two principles are fantastic, there was another younger lady who I also liked and thought was very good but there was one vet who worked there that I really disliked and I totally agree with your pet rock assessment, so I wonder if we are thinking of the same person.

Not long after we moved, Kira got a paralysis tick and we had to rush her to the emergency hospital near where we are now and I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach when the vet I would avoid at all costs from our old practice walked out as the attending vet.  My fears were founded as the way she spoke to me and treated us was appalling.  She's probably a very smart lady but her bedside manner is the worst I've ever experienced.

6 minutes ago, Malamum said:

DDD, as you know I used the same vet practice as you when we lived in the area totally agree with your assessment.  The two principles are fantastic, there was another younger lady who I also liked and thought was very good but there was one vet who worked there that I really disliked and I totally agree with your pet rock assessment, so I wonder if we are thinking of the same person.

Not long after we moved, Kira got a paralysis tick and we had to rush her to the emergency hospital near where we are now and I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach when the vet I would avoid at all costs from our old practice walked out as the attending vet.  My fears were founded as the way she spoke to me and treated us was appalling.  She's probably a very smart lady but her bedside manner is the worst I've ever experienced.

:laugh: Wonder if its the same vet who moved from Adelaide to Melbourne??  LOL! 

@Malamum Oh no!!! She works at other practices, too.  How ghastly.  Her name starts with L and she dresses as though she is off to the Antartic.  Even on days when the temp is in the thirties, you’ll see her with several layers of clothing on.  And the air con at the practice isn’t particularly good LOL.  

My latest peripheral experience with her was via a couple with a lovely dog.  I was waiting at the counter as were they when she came out to speak with them further.  I couldn’t hear the full exchange, but heard her say some disparaging remark about their dog being a rescue dog (something along the lines of:  well, she’s a rescue dog, what do you expect).    I have heard her being extremely judgemental about rescue dogs over the years.  When she’d gone back inside, I turned to the couple and asked them if they’d adopted the dog recently.  No, they’d had her for two years !!!!   This ghastly woman who should not be allowed within 100 yards of a pet, was still going on about all the problems with the dog because she was a rescue.  Insane.  

And when I have been forced to have an interaction with her (as you did, because no one else there and Danny was on a series of injections one of which fell on a Sunday), I have been horrified and certainly don’t think she is at all smart.  I have reported her on a couple of occasions, but to no effect obviously.   :mad  :mad

When I mentioned her on this forum a few years ago, another DOLer who goes to the practice said she knew the person I meant and she called her The Witch.   

On 23/07/2018 at 11:15 AM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

@Malamum Oh no!!! She works at other practices, too.  How ghastly.  Her name starts with L and she dresses as though she is off to the Antartic.  Even on days when the temp is in the thirties, you’ll see her with several layers of clothing on.  And the air con at the practice isn’t particularly good LOL.  

My latest peripheral experience with her was via a couple with a lovely dog.  I was waiting at the counter as were they when she came out to speak with them further.  I couldn’t hear the full exchange, but heard her say some disparaging remark about their dog being a rescue dog (something along the lines of:  well, she’s a rescue dog, what do you expect).    I have heard her being extremely judgemental about rescue dogs over the years.  When she’d gone back inside, I turned to the couple and asked them if they’d adopted the dog recently.  No, they’d had her for two years !!!!   This ghastly woman who should not be allowed within 100 yards of a pet, was still going on about all the problems with the dog because she was a rescue.  Insane.  

And when I have been forced to have an interaction with her (as you did, because no one else there and Danny was on a series of injections one of which fell on a Sunday), I have been horrified and certainly don’t think she is at all smart.  I have reported her on a couple of occasions, but to no effect obviously.   :mad  :mad

When I mentioned her on this forum a few years ago, another DOLer who goes to the practice said she knew the person I meant and she called her The Witch.   

Yes that's the one.  Dealing with her made me get in the habit of asking who we would be seeing when making an appointment and deciding to go on a different day if she was the only option.

Kira was in a very bad way and having to leave her in her care was horrible.  As we left, I sat in the car in the car park and just cried as I was so worried about Kira and the interaction with the vet had my blood boiling but I had no choice but to leave her with her.  The only saving grace was that the nurse who was assisting her and the reception staff were just lovely.  I think they must have been quite aware of her terrible manner as every time she said something to me in a really rude way, the nurse would say something reassuring in a very soothing tone, or ask if I was ok.  It's like they were being extra nice to make up for her rudeness, I also have a terrible poker face so they could probably tell how mad/upset I was getting.  Thankfully when I called back later that night to check on Kira, she had gone off shift and I then only dealt with other nice normal vets from then on out.

If I ever come across her again, I will point-blank ask to see someone else.  It even makes me angry thinking about it now, years later.

Edited by Malamum
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just a few points from someone who these days doesn't post very often but likes to read what others say.

Vets like doctors can have communication issues. For a doctor it is described as a bedside manner. Not sure what it would be called in a vet who deals with the owners of their sick patients, some of whom may be highly emotional and possibly irrational. Like doctors though some are better at marketing themselves and have better communication skills. 

Vets all have the same training. They have all passed the same exams and share the same body of knowledge although the knowledge would be based on more recent studies in the case of younger vets, but older vets would have experience which may possibly mean that a younger vet might pick up rarer diseases which an older vet might overlook. However some older vets would be keeping abreast of recent studies through professional reading and may also be up to date on recent studies.

Vets have a very high suicide rate and perhaps it is better not to post negative opinions about vets together with information that makes them identifiable on an internet forum that can be accessed by members of the public, not just dolers.

Edited by sarsplodicus
clarification Not suggesting that dolers are highly emotional or irrational
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1