Different suburbs, different dogs?

persephone

Just an observation ....
staying with a friend in 'the big smoke' last weekend .Friend has recently moved to an older  treed suburb , with a high percentage of the old houses /backyards  in place ..very attractive & peaceful in many parts . 

Wandering around with the dog ..I noticed dogs  barking at us loudly , as they were larger dogs  !
Labs, Rotties. Border Collies, Great Pyrenees, a Newfy , a couple of GSDs . Nice to see . 

I guess this happens ? high density housing = smaller dogs?  

Anyhow - the dog park in the next suburb has/had a nice mix always ..from little shihtzus to a Bernese  :) All getting along well .

Do you think it's an affluent area Perse?   Those older houses, leafier streets, big yards would (generally) mean more expensive to rent/buy, depending on the suburb of course.  If thats' the case, you could afford to have bigger dogs, you certainly don't see many Great Pyrenees around.  And Newfies.  :love:

Then again, could be true for what you say, high density living, smaller dogs...but again, it would (for me) depend on the suburb/area, because of lot of upmarket closer to town burbs are very expensive, have small or tiny courtyards, so maybe a small white fluffy would fit in better. 

Where I live (my block of units) are mostly small courtyards, (varying sizes, some have a small grass area) we've got a small mutt mix, used to have a Staffy next door, and then my Staffy.  The other dogs I've seen around the immediate area (big streets, houses/yards) have been anything from Goldens to Schnauzers to SWF's. 

• Like 1

I read this article yesterday that talks about the most popular breeds in different areas, and why they might be so!

http://lifestyle.ragingtopics.com/melbournes-top-dogs-why-each-suburb-has-its-own-most-popular-breed/

i haven't found the source information yet, to sticky beak on the most popular dogs near me.

*i* think the most popular dogs are fox terriers, pomeranians and german shepherds...but whats actually registered might be different!

• Thanks 1

Interesting article. We have a Tibetan Mastiff living in my burb. I always like seeing her. There is a pleasing percentage of purebred dogs with a mix of small and large. The blocks here would be mainly quarter acre size on average with not many smaller blocks. 

• Like 1

What a load of rubbish , considering Frenchies fetch 5k and they are listed as popular , TM are the same price . Staffies are popular because they are dirt cheap and easy to get , not because they have good temps , most are as dodgy as . 

I moved to a different area of Sydney about 2 years ago and it's a very dog friendly area with lots of dogs out and about and although there is still a fairly varied range of breeds I've noticed that all the oddle variations seem to be the most prevalent.  This is very different to where I used to live.

I do still see a fairly broad range of purebred dogs with Labs, Border Collies and Golden Retrievers probably being the most common but I've also seen Frenchies, Bulldogs, Beagles and I even saw a Bernese Mountain dog yesterday but mid-sized dogs with curly coats are the most common.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the people's preferance and the availibility of breeds rather than the suburb.  You would think block size would enter into it, but not necessarily.  I know of people in units and on small blocks who have large dogs and people on large, rural blocks who have small dogs.  Certain decades seem have an abundance of certain breeds, like at one time there were lots of Australian Silky Terriers.  and then there was an abundance of German Shepherds, and a little later Rottweilers became popular and now staffies are a popular breed.  Price is obviously going to be a big factor and whether the buyer wants a large, medium or small dog.  I'm not sure if a lot of people think too much about the grooming/care aspect?  I see all sorts of breeds of dog, where ever I go however so people vary in what they prefer.  Hopefully, which ever dog they pick, they treat them as a valued, cared for, member of the family and take the time to understand and train them.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in a country town. The town is growing rapidly (noticed a huge amount of city folk moving here recently) but most people still have decent sized backyards... many people have quite large backyards or they live on property. 

Despite that, most people here seem to have oodle mixes. Golden Retrievers and Border Collies would probably be the most common purebreds here. 

• Like 1