Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
soothie

Kibble for IBD/Colitis and post Cancer op

4 posts in this topic

soothie   

Hi,

Having done some research over the past few days, I need to focus on a kibble that is LOW in Fat due to Colitis/IBD.

This has been and on/off issue for many years. I have recently ditched Holistic Select Anchovy etc for digestive after many years after finding out reports of high toxicity.

 

to add to this turmoil, my boy has just had a 1st grade soft tissue sarcoma removed with minimal margins :(

 

Kibble has to be low in carbs and sugar.

 

It really means that I need to supplement his diet with some good foods with out high fat.

 

I recently switched to Canidae Grain Free Pure Meadow with Chicken just a day before the tumour was removed.
Thinking to also buy Omega 3 bottled after reading post cancer diet but am a little worried about the IBD :(

Looking forward to any expert advise.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kayla1   

Is your boy getting further surgery to remove more surrounding tissue? One of my dogs had a grade 2 STS removed with incomplete margins and then underwent more aggressive surgery to obtain wider margins. This was successful and he has had no recurrence several years later. I did not make any change to his diet (though I have reduced carbs for my girl who has grade 3 metastatic MCT). If your boy's STS was grade 1 then that's a good thing as these are the least aggressive, so less likely to regrow or spread. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
soothie   

No further surgery at this time. The vet said to keep a close eye and if a lump reoccurs then he will go in again and cut further.

I have to watch his wait as he also had a torn ACL last year but he is hungry all the time. 

 

How long did you wait between surgeries?
 

I found your post encouraging, thank you.

I need my boy so I hope the long term prognosis is a good one,

Edited by soothie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kayla1   

Waiting wasn't an option for my boy as the tumour was grade 2 and there was a large area that was potentially contaminated from the first surgery. Waiting would have increased the risk of regrowth and spread, so I took him straight to a specialist surgeon for the second surgery. But of course it's preferable for a tumour to be identified before removal so that adequate margins are taken in the first surgery, and therefore avoiding a more complicated second surgery. 

 

I understand the prognosis is very good for low grade STS that are completely removed, but I'm not sure of the protocol for grade 1 STS removed with minimal margins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×