Fly Snapping after eating

My bitch has just turned 2 years old and has been fine her whole life...

she had her first litter a few months ago and towards the end of her pregnancy she started fly snapping after eating, i thought maybe as people get it maybe she was experiencing heart burn/indigestion and it would go away after the pups were born. She is still doing it :( 

She is eye screened all clear, so there is no issues with her eyes.... She doesnt do the seizure type movement she just looks at something then snaps at it. Its only after eating and goes away afterwards. 

has anyone else had this with thier dog and what was the treatment for it ?

thanks 

Guest crazydoglady99

Have you changed her food? Or added any supplements?

I have heard stories of dogs airsnapping after eating xyz protein. The same rule applies to the milk/cheese of offending protein.

No She was on a strict diet of her usual dry food and folate tablets while mated/preg/lactating. It only started once she was preg and she had never done it before and was fed the same thing before. 

since shes weaned the puppies shes not longer on folate and is still getting a dry food ( different but MUCH better quality) the first dry food is Chicken and duck and this dry food is Lamb. 

she never does it during the day or evening and only started it about 5-10 mins after eating and then it goes away later on. 

Guest crazydoglady99

All the signs are there that it's food related :shrug:

There is also evidence that pregnancy 'changes' the brain (of women). 

Does she seem stressed?

I'd be inclined to find a holistic vet, and seek their advice. There's possibly homeopathic or herbal tinctures that might be helpful.

well thats why i said above i thought it might be pregnancy related "reflux" like women get cos i know what it can be like when u get heart burn and it feels liek its in ur chest/throat/mouth and i thought it could be just how she was dealing with it. the puppies she had a re 12 weeks old and i only noticed yesterday she was still doing it or starting it again. she is due back on heat soon. 

i dont think it is food related cos she was fed that dry for a long time before the litter. 

Weirdest thing of all too, ive changed her feeding, 1/2 cup morning an 1 cup at night (instead of 1 1/2 at night) she doesnt fly snap in the morning , only at night. Ive also changed the dry from a 32% protein to a 25% protein. 

She is being booked into the vet next week. 

interesting researching some more and have come across vaccine side effects, one of them is neurological caused by the distemper part of the vaccination and it has reminded me that the same bitch reacted poorly to her puppy vaccine too ... got very sick. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have the vets considered chiari malformation/SM, or similar. 

It’s a condition of degrees and not all dogs display overt symptoms that are often put forward in the media. Some are very subtle. From a head tilt to licking parts of the body, ear scratching, tongue flapping etc. not all dogs are a screaming mess with it. 

Edited by mingaling
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/08/2018 at 11:37 AM, mingaling said:

Have the vets considered chiari malformation/SM, or similar. 

It’s a condition of degrees and not all dogs display overt symptoms that are often put forward in the media. Some are very subtle. From a head tilt to licking parts of the body, ear scratching, tongue flapping etc. not all dogs are a screaming mess with it. 

thank you just googled that and she shows no signs of any of those thing .. she is 100% happy fit healthy shiny happy dog .. and doesnt fly snap every time she eats.... she didnt respond to the tablets so weve put it down to habit, its fully controllable so no seizure etc present... if shes doing it shell stop when told too. i give her breakfast along side her puppy and she doesnt fly snap then, only at dinner time feed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2018 at 6:05 PM, BoldNFearless said:

thank you just googled that and she shows no signs of any of those thing .. she is 100% happy fit healthy shiny happy dog .. and doesnt fly snap every time she eats.... she didnt respond to the tablets so weve put it down to habit, its fully controllable so no seizure etc present... if shes doing it shell stop when told too. i give her breakfast along side her puppy and she doesnt fly snap then, only at dinner time feed.

Is the food cold/out of the fridge? Can you add some hot water to it to make a soup, she will take longer to eat it and this may help