need suggestions please

kate-kk

Hi dog lovers,

We got a 2 year old Husky, called Misty from the RSPCA 2 years ago. She is a cute human friendly dog, well trained with playful character.

When she came to our house, she tried escaping few times, we did a lot of construction work to make sure the garden gate and fence were high enough, so she cannot jump out.

The only problem is sometime, she finds a way to escape, if our kids did not close the garage door fast enough or properly. Maybe she is bored? But she can find her own way back after 1 or 2 hours, never harmed any neighbour's animal or property.

Last year, she got out and we found her in a neighbour's backyard 2 blocks behind us, she killed their chickens. We were terrified and compensated the neighbours loss. (their backyard has not fence or door, also a small hole from the chicken cage) 

My husband and I were almost thinking should we continue have this dog. Even though it is Husky's natural instinct to kill the small animals. :(

Anyway, Misty seems fine for the remaining year, made lots friends with neighbour's dog. Until last week, she somehow escaped without we even notice, we got a call from the same neighbour, said Misty killed their chicken again...... :( again? their backyard still have no door, meaning any bog animal can go in....

please, can you all give me any advise? Am I liable for this? would council fine us? Or should I find Misty another home?

Thanks,

Kate

On 7/27/2018 at 9:08 AM, kate-kk said:

Hi dog lovers,

We got a 2 year old Husky, called Misty from the RSPCA 2 years ago. She is a cute human friendly dog, well trained with playful character.

When she came to our house, she tried escaping few times, we did a lot of construction work to make sure the garden gate and fence were high enough, so she cannot jump out.

The only problem is sometime, she finds a way to escape, if our kids did not close the garage door fast enough or properly. Maybe she is bored? But she can find her own way back after 1 or 2 hours, never harmed any neighbour's animal or property.

Last year, she got out and we found her in a neighbour's backyard 2 blocks behind us, she killed their chickens. We were terrified and compensated the neighbours loss. (their backyard has not fence or door, also a small hole from the chicken cage) 

My husband and I were almost thinking should we continue have this dog. Even though it is Husky's natural instinct to kill the small animals. :(

Anyway, Misty seems fine for the remaining year, made lots friends with neighbour's dog. Until last week, she somehow escaped without we even notice, we got a call from the same neighbour, said Misty killed their chicken again...... :( again? their backyard still have no door, meaning any bog animal can go in....

please, can you all give me any advise? Am I liable for this? would council fine us? Or should I find Misty another home?

Thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate,

can you contact Troy (the administrator) and ask him to pop your post into General Discussion...more traffic there to be able to answer your questions

here is the contact details for Troy https://www.dolforums.com.au/contact/

Huskies are known escape artists... so if she is prone to escaping, maybe you could look at making a secure run for her in your yard where she can be contained when you aren't supervising her...

If that seems like too much trouble, then maybe you should rehome her, and tell prospective new owners why you are doing so... so they can make sure she is secured when not supervised.

T.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...