brewers yeast (for anxiety)

Just in some random online browsing I have come across brewers yeast being suggested as a supplement for anxious dogs. My kelpie cross is quite a timid dog with a few minor neurotic habits. None of these are overly concerning or anything that I would consider seeing my vet about but I am wondering if a supplement like this might potentially be of some benefit to her.  If it is simply a nutritional supplement that would do her no harm I would see no issue with giving it a try.  Does anyone give brewers yeast to their dog and in what format?

Thanks

Guest crazydoglady99

Brewers yeast is high in B vitamins,  there are many studies in humans and animals that B vitamins are helpful (assuming one is deficient) for anxiety. 

You'll likely find just as many stories online of people whose dogs have had adverse reactions to brewer's yeast.

It is added to many pre-made raw dog foods.

For me personally I'd rather spend the money on an adaptil collar, I've used them many times successfully over the years. (Please Google if you haven't heard of it.)

23 hours ago, crazydoglady99 said:

Brewers yeast is high in B vitamins,  there are many studies in humans and animals that B vitamins are helpful (assuming one is deficient) for anxiety. 

You'll likely find just as many stories online of people whose dogs have had adverse reactions to brewer's yeast.

It is added to many pre-made raw dog foods.

For me personally I'd rather spend the money on an adaptil collar, I've used them many times successfully over the years. (Please Google if you haven't heard of it.)

Mmm... it would probably add up quite quickly. It was way too expensive  (and nasty tasting) when I was using it for myself.

I'd strongly encourage you (the OP) think about getting help now, as soon as you recognize the signs. I shrugged the early signs off and really regret not acting ASAP.

• Like 1