Thunder shirts

juice

Do they work ? 

VERY fearful older dog , who is scared of the outside world . My personal thoughts is it’s time for meds but the shirt has been suggested ( herbal remedy for 2 months had no effect ) . 

The rescue used it on Thistle and I have a few times since. I found it did help to take a little of the edge off. Just a smidgen and the first few times wasn’t sure if correlation or causation. 

I usually used it in conjunction with adaptil spray and rescue remedy. I especially like the results I have had with those two. Definitely takes the edge off to help her relax. So combined made for a mellower version of her in challenging situations. 

Recently shes been doing so well I gifted the shirt to a friend :) 

@crazydoglady99, you sure did and I still have it. (I did give it away to someone in rescue but she must have given it back to me.) Unfortunately it didn't work for my GSD with storm phobia or my English Setter who is very anxious in cars.

Edited by kamuzz

I used one on our great danes and greyhound.  It worked well with the greyhound for storms (let him relax enough to go to sleep instead of pacing and panting) and the frist great dane was the same.  Te second dane had anxiety issues and with her I found that it worked well when she had acupuncture for her general anxiety, but once she was getting close to needing another session it worked less.

I would recommend them, but maybe see if you can get hold of one for a trial first.

• 2 weeks later...

@juice IIRC there was a thread or website  about swaddling of dogs which had the same or better results - sort of like this?  I remember my old Sarah always seemed very relaxed in tighter fitting jumpers and I think they had a similar effect to the thunder shirts. 

Edited by westiemum

Guest crazydoglady99

Clomicalm is a fabulous doggie medication. Via a vet of course.

Totally worth looking it up, then talking to vet. 

It's not cheap, we get the generic version called clomav. For a 30kg dog, 2 bottles (60 pills, 2 month supply) cost $240, plus they require a check up every 6 months.

If you are past thunder shirts, possibly past adaptil too.

Edited by crazydoglady99

Sorry WM , wasn’t meant to be sharp with you , just tired and frustrated . We have LOVAN , haven’t started it yet as she has just been desexed and kinda of reluctant but know it might be best way . 

• Like 1

Havw you thought of acupuncture?  Our Whitney had it and it helped a lot.  It doesn't work on all dogs (our Harry, for one) but was successful with Whitney. 

She had a weekly seesions for about 5-6 weeks, and then fortnightly and monthly.  When there was no noticeable improvement (when she was quite zen)  it was only every 3-4  months for 2-3 sessions and that kept her happy. Our vets had a practioner, so maybe look into it.

Compression garments make Malcolm more anxious – he freezes and trembles in place. A looser tshirt or jumper can make him feeling better, though. I have yet to try a TTouch wrap; some practitioners say they can benefit dogs for whom the Thundershirt and similar garments are too much.

It sounds like there’s more to it than this, but have the owners considered whether they are expecting too much from their older dog? Some people worry about their dogs not being comfortable at dog parks, markets, cafés, etc. when the dog would rather be a happy homebody. Mentioning just in case. :) 

Please encourage them to get a comphrehensive vet check including bloods and whatnot if they haven’t, as an anxious senior could very well have something else going on. It’s also good to have a baseline of organ function before starting medication.

Good luck!

Edited by Papillon Kisses
  • Like 1