Pete Evans healthy everyday pets food..

Has anyone fed this food to their dogs? Did they like it/do well on it?

Getting past the stupid packaging and my opinion of Pete Evans, i haven't seen a food with better ingredients/macros.

I'm awaiting a sample of the turkey/pork dry food:

Turkey and Chicken Meal, Pork Meal, Beef Meal, Tapioca/Cassava, Beef Tallow (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Fish/Tuna Meal, Beef Broth, Alfalfa, Marine Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, Arrowroot, Whole Egg Powder, Yucca Shidigera, Kelp, Kale, Parsley, FOS, Hydrolysed Yeast, Turmeric, Glucosamine, Green Lipped Mussel, Vitamin Supplements (A, D, E, K, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, Choline, Biotin), Organic Trace Mineral Supplements (Zinc, Iron, Copper, Manganese, Iodine, Selenium), Natural Antioxidants (mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) Vitamin E, Taurine, Vitamin C., Probiotics (Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus licheniformis) and Multi-Strain Enzyme Blend.

https://www.healthyeverydaypets.com.au/

4 hours ago, Christine_72 said:

Has anyone fed this food to their dogs? Did they like it/do well on it?

Getting past the stupid packaging and my opinion of Pete Evans, i haven't seen a food with better ingredients/macros.

I'm awaiting a sample of the turkey/pork dry food:

Turkey and Chicken Meal, Pork Meal, Beef Meal, Tapioca/Cassava, Beef Tallow (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Fish/Tuna Meal, Beef Broth, Alfalfa, Marine Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, Arrowroot, Whole Egg Powder, Yucca Shidigera, Kelp, Kale, Parsley, FOS, Hydrolysed Yeast, Turmeric, Glucosamine, Green Lipped Mussel, Vitamin Supplements (A, D, E, K, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, Choline, Biotin), Organic Trace Mineral Supplements (Zinc, Iron, Copper, Manganese, Iodine, Selenium), Natural Antioxidants (mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) Vitamin E, Taurine, Vitamin C., Probiotics (Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus licheniformis) and Multi-Strain Enzyme Blend.

https://www.healthyeverydaypets.com.au/

Not to be cynical but it sounds like a list designed to impress you, without a lot of research to determine whether it is good for the dog. 

• Like 5

Guest crazydoglady99

Hydrolyzed Yeast is msg under a code name.  (Just fyi)

And FOS is essentially sugar.

For me personally, she who lives & breathes all things nutrition, there's some garbage stuff in there. 

(I have the same nutrition qualification as Pete Evan's, minus the celebrity status :rofl:)

Edited by crazydoglady99

I just looked up   - The healthy home economist -  website, 

Hydrolyzed  yeast  extract  is a  natural  form of yeast digest.

MSG  is a Synthetic  form of  glutamic acid, not good for you,   definitely  not  the same.

Guest crazydoglady99

Soz Pandi, the ingredients list says "hydrolyzed yeast" not extract. Not that it makes a huge difference.

But might I suggest digging a little deeper, as according to actual food scientists, it is but one of the code names used for flavor enhancers - that's msg and all his cousins.

Yes, I know my crazy food lady has crept out. I have spent years learning and navigating my way through this stuff.

Screenshot_20180806-184257_Drive.jpg

Sorry Christine! I have derailed your thread, again!!! Will sit on hands now.

Edited by crazydoglady99

@crazydoglady99   could you explain what is not good with the   Pete evans food  , I  was thinking of trying this, because  Stay Loyal  has peas & lentils  in it ,  FDA  warning , don't give these foods , because of heart  problems, 

I would love to feed Frontier pets freeze dried,  mixed with warm water every meal,  Frontier smells really nice,    If I  do then my dog starts rubbing her bottom on the floor,

maybe add rolled oats into the Frontier meal 

What would you suggest  :confused:

Wow thank you all for the insight, much appreciated :)

I'm kinda like a kid in a candy store when it comes to dog foods, as when i had my last dogs the best dry food available was Royal Canin :( and i so wished we had a choice of better kibbles to choose from, and now here we are and there are quite a few to choose  from. I want to try them ALL :laugh:

• Haha 1

Guest crazydoglady99

We are always learning. I have fed soo many (good and bad) kibbles over the years. You don't know what you don't know!

I think Canidae & Wellness Core are better choices. Meals for mutts too. Raw food trumps all of them..

Trust your own instinct, and Nuggets! You don't have to listen to this crazy dog & food lady :rofl:

Edited by crazydoglady99

Pandi my toy poodle weighs  2.5 kg ,  feeding Frontier to her little body :love:     is easy on the  wallet ,

She must have at least 1 meal a day of dry kibble 

if not then those anal glands really annoy her alot ,  Pandi loves Frontier meals the best &  if anal glands were  no problem it would be   for 3 meals a day  :eat:

She must now have 3 meals a day,  because she use  to,   vomit frothy bile if meals  were over 7 hours apart,  so 3 smaller meals fixed that.

Pet Food Reviews has said  the  Pete evans food is as good as kibble gets & was impressed by it,  also  Stay Loyal has 5 stars,  but the FDA warning about  Lentils, Peas, Beet pulp, Potatoes &rice is a worry,   so i would rather not feed food with those in.

Which dry kibble would you suggest for Pandi,    I don't know anymore,  I thought  if i followed what   PFR   suggested  that was a good thing to do  :confused: 

Thanks for the link

:thanks:

Guest crazydoglady99

Frontier is as good as it gets! ( we don't feed commercial food, if I did frontier would be top of the list. Unfortunately it has too many ingredients we are sensitive to)

Try the psyllium? Or what about adding something like minced chicken necks, or Turkey necks? Something with  bone in it. (Since she is tiny, you could buy it by the kilo, freeze in ice cube size portions). That *should * fix up the anal gland issue.

Did anyone see the Frontier pet lady on shark tank the other night? Those bozo investors had no interest in it, they obviously haven't realised how the pet food business is booming!! My mum gave me the rest of her bag of the beef flavour after her dog passed away, however i struggled to get those balls soft! Soaking in warm water for a few minutes did nothing, they were still hard as rock. This was 6mths ago and she'd had the bag for  5 or so months prior, I'm sure i heard somewhere they had changed their formulation along the way, or the bag was too old?

To be honest, Nugget gets mostly raw/homecooked and kibble makes up a small portion of his over all diet, he gets between 1/4 and 1/2 a cup a day of dry food.  I just want to feed him the best i can find of ALL foods.

@crazydoglady99 You're a gem :clap: xx

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh I love shark tank! I must find the episode!!!

I'm sorry, I know I get carried away! I try to stay out of threads involved people or dog nutrition because I am so passionate about it. Sometimes my fingers move too fast on the phone before my brain can stop me responding!!

I saw Diana on shark tank, she does a fabulous job with this food , & the new Webpage for Frontier is great, looks nice with all the reviews & photos  of happy pups on 1 page.

Would the butcher make minced turkey necks ,  or where do i get these minced necks from

@crazydoglady99 You sure are a gem,  tell me as much about dog nutrition as you like,  PLEASE ! 

• Like 1

Guest crazydoglady99

Oooh sorry Pandi I forgot to reply!

Maybe have to ring a butcher and ask. Ask about chicken necks, Turkey necks, duck necks, rabbit or quail. 

Chicken necks would be the easiest & cheapest, so might be the most cost effective starting point?

I find things with bone tend to fill my dogs up, so here's to hoping it can keep Pandi's tummy full a bit longer.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:41 AM, crazydoglady99 said:

Frontier is nice and affordable too :eek: haha a friend tried it and did a cost comparison..  it was like $16 a day to feed her dogs! I'd have to sell a kidney!! It does have an impressive ingredient list - except for the almonds..  why almonds?.

You could try oats if you soak them. Or Phivo from Augustine Approved has a psyllium husk recipe for anal gland issues (which I'm guessing could be why the bottom rubbing), OR.. there could be an Ingredient/s in there your dog is sensitive too?

I'm not a fan of stay loyal, it has some garbage too. Most dry foods do. But at least stay loyal has actual vegetables!!

The alarm bells for Pete Evan's (based on the ingredient list above):

*Fish/Tuna meal - tuna is best avoided due to high mercury. How do you know what the other type of 'fish' is? 

*Marine Fish oil - again, from which fish source?

*Hydrolyzed Yeast - its nothing healthy, it's to make it taste good. It causes massive health problems in humans.

*Arrowroot/Tapioca/Cassava - Cassava is a root vegetable (starchy veg.. hmm pete.. ), why are the other 2 needed? 

*Whole egg powder? I presume a waste product, because it would surely be more cost effective to use whole eggs! Cage free I wonder?

*FOS - you have no way of knowing where this was sourced. It's trying to be all fancy 'look at my clever name' we have this probiotic stuff, but there would be no benefit whatsoever since kibble is heat treated.

*Yucca - heaps of companies add this. It's to reduce stool odor. No dietary benefits.

*Antioxidants & Rosemary Extract- all food companies use these, trying to look healthy. They aren't. They are just preservatives.

There's better kibble out there. I doubt Pete Evans had much to do with this food. He's just getting paid big bucks for putting his face on it.

I think that'll do from me. I highly highly recommend Dr Jean Dodds book 'Canine Nutrigenomics'. It looks at how food,  influences health, on a cellular level. (I always talk about that book!)

Edit - the link to Phivo thingy

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/dog-anal-glands-diy-solution/

For me the alarm bell was the big list of supplements, including vitamins that dogs don't require, and the number of things like turmeric and green lipped muscles, that are trendy for humans.  If they use good quality main ingredients, a bunch of supplements shouldn't be needed. 

I have been hesitant in posting but will put in my ten bobs worth anyway...whenever I see anything promoted by Pete Evans it is usually a con full of half baked quasi scientific data from an 'institute' somewhere in LaLa land

I get so angry that people, including the media, just blindly follow; remember that awful young woman who had cancer then didn't, the one that promoted some diet and was found to be lying, PE reeks of the same self-promotion.

It seems the world needs snake-oil salesmen (like Peter Foster) and I have a feeling that PE is another.

And...

I don't feel much better after posting this rant :laugh:

ps, Pandi-Girl; you can buy 15kg boxes of turkey necks from Naturally Australian Meat and Game at Morningside, you will need to buy a very sturdy mincer though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1