Cork tiles and dogs

cowanbree

I am looking at flooring that will  cope with a busy multiple dog home that has many playing dogs romping, often has water from big water bowls spilt and then left for many hours and isn't slippery. 

I was only considering solid lino but cork tiles have been suggested and they are saying it will be warmer underfloor and none of the above is an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with cork tiles?

I have cork tiles and I love them. They are soft and warm. The disadvantages are that they do need to be recoated every few years and the dogs do scratch the coating when they are chasing balls and skid about. As long as the coating is maintained they are completely waterproof. I recoat them myself (costs me about $50) but it would probably be best to have a professional do it.

31 minutes ago, sarsplodicus said:

I have cork tiles and I love them. They are soft and warm. The disadvantages are that they do need to be recoated every few years and the dogs do scratch the coating when they are chasing balls and skid about. As long as the coating is maintained they are completely waterproof. I recoat them myself (costs me about $50) but it would probably be best to have a professional do it.

Thanks. Wgen you say waterproofing would it withstand a pool of water on it for sonetimes 12hrs or more? Are they slippery when wet?

We had cork tiles and up to 6 dogs running on them .

Coating is important from day one ,the coating used for ours required us to move out due to the smell which we knew .

Ours weren’t slippery as such but like any floor surface slippery and wrong shoes then expect to go arse over .

Personally whether cork or lino which we have had both addressing the water bowl is still a must .

We are now fully tiled but would go back to cork or bambo next time but the water bowls are set up to minimise water 

• Like 1

I looked into cork but decided the re-coating was to much for me so I went with floating floor boards. I am really happy with them and they have look great after 4.5 years of dogs ,cats, people and multiple spills of all kinds :)

15 hours ago, cowanbree said:

Thanks. Wgen you say waterproofing would it withstand a pool of water on it for sonetimes 12hrs or more? Are they slippery when wet?

I would not expect any wooden floor to withstand a pool of water for 12 hours. Any weakness in the coating and the water would get through and the cork would swell.

I don't walk on mine when it is wet so I don't know if it is slippery.

I use the water based coating which is easier to apply but it is not as tough as the other sort. If your floor is regularly subjected to pools of water I think you would need to look at ceramic tiles.

Guest crazydoglady99

We had cork tiles in our old house for 5+ years. We never re-coated them. I don't know how old they were, the house was at least 18years old before we bought it.

Yes they will tolerate spills, more so than laminate flooring. 

Also everything bounces, so you'll never break another glass :rofl:

I don't remember so much about them being slippery. I did run to the oven after mopping them, and slipped and broke my arm. But I am pretty uncoordinated and clumsy!!

I never noticed any of my dogs or fosters slipping on cork. They most certainly did on laminate. And they do slip on ceramic tiles.

I'm not sure what the cost comparison is with cork. That would be a factor for me too. (I think it's ugly, that's the only reason we replaced it)

Not so much flooring as not spilling water - bit heavy to lift but can be worked around, empty into bucket and wipe with cloth or paper towel between lift-and-clean times: cast iron saucepans/pots from Aldis - spill proof because too heavy to nudge around, enamel coated so very easy to clean. Mine are on slate floor, no spills - maybe just a few drips as they walk away.

• 2 weeks later...