Share your animal adoption experience please

If you have adopted (or busy going through this now) I'd love to hear about you experienced this.

• How did you go about finding your companion?
  • Any good mobile apps or websites to find the perfect pet?
  • What was the most important information you needed to make a final decision?
  • What do you wish you knew after you went through this process.

I'd really appreciate any insight into your experience.

Mine have come from all over the place - pet shop (many, many years ago before I knew anything !),  pound,  rescue, and the latest little one is a purebred, whose owners passed away and a very good rescue helped the family members to rehome her.  They have all found me - I wasn't looking!

With the latest, she had to tick a lot of boxes - most important was that she would fit in with my current dog and our lifestyle at this time.  I think we fit in with her lifestyle, but she is a treasure.

With any dog, I think it is vital to be honest with what you want and can cope with, i.e. are you looking for an active dog, do you want to groom constantly, can you cope with an older dog with perhaps medications,  how much time are you prepared to put in,  do you have children, etc.   Lots to consider.   Find either a good breeder or a reputable rescue - do your research carefully.  

• Like 1

On 10/08/2018 at 9:44 PM, Knightrogue said:

If you have adopted (or busy going through this now) I'd love to hear about you experienced this.

I have supported several rescue groups over the years and been a foster carer for 2. I have also done numerous home assessments for potential adoptions for interstate groups. I have loads of rescue groups I have liked on Facebook. One day I saw a story about a particular shar pei that touched me. We weren't actively looking for another dog but had space for another and have experience with pei. It was with a group I had not been involved with before so I knew noone connected to them. I followed his progress/recovery. When he became available for adoption I submitted an application. I tried to be honest and provide as much information as I could because I believe they know what is best for the dog in question and can't consider my appropriateness without useful information. The waiting to see if I was shortlisted killed me! We had a meet and greet but there was no connection between us and the dog. I also knew he needed more activity than we could give him. I told the coordinator that straight away. Another family came to see him and he was adopted soon after. From the photos on Facebook I can see he found the right home.

So my advice is to be honest and thorough in your application and trust the adoption coordinator knows what the dog needs (which may not be you). Make sure you meet the dog and if you already have pets make sure they all meet too. The cuteness of a dog does not automatically make them a good match for your household. You have needs but so does the dog. Don't pursue any animal based on looks alone - read what they say about it! Listen to what the foster carer says about it! Don't waste everybody's time! Be patient - coordinators have a lot on their plates and will get to you when they can. Oh and not all rescue groups are created equal. Those of us who have been around for a while have all experienced the dodgy side of rescue. Check out their value statements and their history because in effect you are doing business with them and you want it to be reliable and stress free. Also be respectful of the foster carer and their home - they put a lot into caring for some dogs and it can be an emotional experience. They want to see their foster go to a great home as much as anyone but they are invested and how you behave around them and the dog matters.

my dogs have not ever been  obtained from a rescue ..my present cat was :) 
I wanted a female, ..one which had been in foster care , had all vet work done , and had certain temperamental traits :)
The shelter took all my details , and eventually I  was introduced to my perfect cat companion :) 
It worked very well.

i actually contacted the rescue and told them about my living situation and if any dogs would suit me. I told them upfront what I was willing to work with in special needs cases eg timid dogs

i ended up mostly pet rescue, google and Facebook. 

Next time I would probably stick to Facebook and google. 

trial runs. I wanted to know that if the dog and I didn’t work out - that I could return the dog and try with another or get a refund. I felt a month was enough time. 

Also I preferred one who fostered the dogs to get a household idea. 

in retrospect adopting a country dog into a city location could have used more consideration. 

I wish i had jumped into a dog school straight away and not after she was attacked. They could have helped me out from day one on setting my dog up to succeed and helping her grow. 

Dont regret getting her though. And there will be future adoptions too :) I’m not put off. The opposite! I look forward to helping out another one day. 

I have also also adopted previous pets via the Lort smith Vet. 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2018 at 7:44 PM, Knightrogue said:

PetRescue is that you?

• Haha 3