I adopted a dog and now the owner is asking for him back?

ades17

Tricky. I have sympathy for the rental situation - securing rental with a dog can be next to impossible - the choice between dog and homelessness can be real.

I'd probably ask if I could mind the dog until she definitely has the dog friendly rental offer in writing, and then if she secures the rental, give the dog back. There are plenty more out there. 

• Like 1

I really just want to say wait a couple more days and see if she changes her mind again. Might be the wrong thing to say but that's how I feel, I'm obviously torn on the topic of giving dogs away to strangers for flaky reasons.

Yes, you'll have to seriously consider giving up the dog as the right thing to do. You will find another with no strings attached this time. I'm not sure I'd want the drama. 

It's only because you are trying to be nice that she even has the option of getting the dog back and that is to your credit. Others would tell her to go jump. And if it had been surrendered to a pound she'd have very little chance or the dog may not even be alive anymore.

Anyway, as above, wait until she has the new rental sorted. Demand for pet friendly is highly competitive and there is no guarantee she has the property until the lease is signed. Unfortunately this does drag it out for you. 

4 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Do you know what sex this dog is,  you have called the dog  HER  &  HIM,   

This was explained directly in the post below the one that called the dog a he (obvious typo) and is irrelevant to the OP’s very reasonable question. 

Selkie, you sound very fair, sensible and are looking at this in as much of an objective way as you possibly can given the situation. I would be inclined to give the dog a second chance with the original owner but would still feel annoyed about being mucked around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, corrie said:

This was explained directly in the post below the one that called the dog a he (obvious typo) and is irrelevant to the OP’s very reasonable question. 

Where? I've read the posts a number of times and saw no explanation,  only regarding the microchip. There has been mention of her then him in more than one post. Getti g the sex of your dog wrong more than once regardless of how long you've had it, more than once is an odd 'typo'.

57 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

The OP has changed the dog from  Female  to  Male  even in the first post  &  many  thereafter,

Maybe the OP  likes telling  stories,   if they can't  even  remember if their dog is male or female 

I see that you are right, Pandi, but honestly, so what if the OP has accidentally mixed up the gender of the dog a few times. It sounds like they are facing a difficult enough decision without being nit picked on their use of gender pronouns and accused of telling stories. They are only asking for a bit of advice. 

Sorry for the confusion. The dog is a boy, I'd changed the pronouns when I posted elsewhere for advice because I was paranoid the former owner would somehow find the post, and I wanted to disguise the details. I was having a panic attack at the time because I'm just so overwhelmed with everything that's been happening in my life in the past two weeks, and I didn't realize I was being inconsistent. Honestly I didn't think it would matter, given that it didn't even occur to me that anyone would get a laugh out of this situation where I'm probably about to be out of a dog I love. But to each their own, I guess.

As an update, I've asked the owner if she has a lease yet, to ensure that she's committed and won't just give the dog away again, and she's responded that she does not, as she's waiting for the current tenants to move out. She did, however, send me a rental application that was dated two months ago (she's saying she found the place yesterday -- it could be a mistake on the application?). At this point, I've heard so many conflicts, both from her story, and from others giving advice, that I just don't know what to do. 

Don’t get upset if people here question you , we get a lot of trolls . 

I think you should hang onto the dog till she can prove she has somewhere , which right now looks flakey.

is it possible she found someone else she knows to take the dog and that’s why she wants it back ? Is it a pedigree she has been offered money for ?

• Like 4

Guest crazydoglady99

I get the feeling she has changed her mind. Nothing to do with securing a rental.

Sit tight. Perhaps don't engage with her for at least a few days.

Ades, saying that there is no lease because the previous tenant hasn't moved out yet is nonsense.  On application and if accepted, a lease is signed and bond money and 1 month's rental is paid to the agent to secure the property. We had a situation where a brand new townhouse we just finished building was on the rental market.  A family of 5 with a Golden Retriever applied and came out on top.  Paid all the fees to rent including 2 months bond even though they were not moving in until 4 weeks later, but were expected to so the property is secured for them.  The rental was only paid to us on the day they took the property over and their lease began. 

You have to do what you feel is right in your heart but just saying, I think you are being strung along.

• Thanks 1

I agree that she's stringing me along, but I decided to give the dog back. It didn't feel right to keep him after all this. She didn't even say thank you, so I'm definitely not her biggest fan! But it feels like the right thing to do. Thanks everyone for your input!

• Like 5

Ades, you made a hard choice but when you’re ready I’m sure forum members would love to help you find a dog with no strings attached :)  You sound a great person who’s going through a tough time. 

there is a dog out there that will suit you just as well as this one. 

And new ones every day needing an owner like you. 

When youre ready :) 

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 1

Even later to the party, but I too would give the dog back but keep a very close eye out - I suspect this poor pup will come up for adoption again. 

And BTW I disagree that rentals and dogs are impossible.  I've rented with both cats and dogs over the years and if you go about it well (be up-front, pup resume, pup references, offer to repair any damage, replace carpets if necessary, don't pick ads that say 'no pets' or 'strictly no pets' but are silent on the issue or say pet friendly, introduce pups to property manager) it can go well.  I've had both cats and dogs in rentals and never once been knocked back.  So I think the original owner is a bit suss.

But overall you've done the right thing - and when you're ready the right dog will appear for you too.  And you never know - it may be the one you had originally. Well done and good luck.

• Like 3