I adopted a dog and now the owner is asking for him back?

ades17

On 8/14/2018 at 11:34 AM, westiemum said:

Even later to the party, but I too would give the dog back but keep a very close eye out - I suspect this poor pup will come up for adoption again. 

And BTW I disagree that rentals and dogs are impossible.  I've rented with both cats and dogs over the years and if you go about it well (be up-front, pup resume, pup references, offer to repair any damage, replace carpets if necessary, don't pick ads that say 'no pets' or 'strictly no pets' but are silent on the issue or say pet friendly, introduce pups to property manager) it can go well.  I've had both cats and dogs in rentals and never once been knocked back.  So I think the original owner is a bit suss.

But overall you've done the right thing - and when you're ready the right dog will appear for you too.  And you never know - it may be the one you had originally. Well done and good luck.

Not always impossible, but can be impossible. If you have time to look for lots of properties, don't have other strict requirements for the property, and otherwise can make a good application, it can go well. That's not true for everyone, however. I have really struggled in the past, and nearly had to send my dog to live with my mother for a time. This is when I was able to make an excellent rental application with two professional incomes  - but in a tight rental market. As it was, the property that we ended up getting was quite unsuitable in other ways, but we took it as it was the only one that would allow us our dog.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thanks Selkie - yes I get that - but as a former Landlord I also understand why so many Landlords just get completely sick of 'entitled' people thinking they have a right to my properties regardless of their circumstances.  And I now think that attitude is a big part of the problem.  I had some tenants recently who three months after they moved in asked to have a very large breed in a very small backyard (I started a thread at the time).  And they would simply would not take 'No' for an answer.  They gave my young property manager a really hard time, bullying her over the issue IMO, after I had made my decision (and in hindsight I'm sure I made the right call) - to the point in the end I stepped in a told them politely to 'pull their heads in' or put it in to the Tribunal (where they knew they had no hope).  They were absolute pains in the arse, chewed up everyone's time by thinking they were entitled to dog after not applying for the dog in their original application in the first place (yes I know people change their minds, but it looks dodgy, like they tried to pull a swifty (and their behaviour suggests that this is what happened here) and it isn't a good look.    

Which is why I'm so careful when I want to rent with dogs myself and am completely up front.  I'm a tenant too - and I've never had a problem - twice applying for and being successful with applications for properties which were not specifically 'pet friendly'.  So I suppose I'm saying there is a right way and a lot of wrongs ways of going about this - and so many people go about it completely the wrong way.   

Edited by westiemum

We lost big-time on two of our rentals due to bad tenants.  Started off lovely then everything turned to dross, alcohol wrecks lives - tenants and landlords, jeeze I hate it and everything about it.

Disgressing:  dogs were involved in both houses, not the prime cause of things going bad, but the agents were lucky (or I was) that the tenants were able to be evicted, I never did get back the overdue rent amounts, let alone redress for the damage the dogs caused.  Not the young untrained large dog's fault for wrecking the ducted heating system: not the white fluffies' faults for climbing the walls and curtains with (I assume) separation anxiety at best, dog knows what at worst.  Have to say it put me off allowing dogs in a rental, but we sold both properties and didn't do the landlord thing again. 

It's sad all round, doesn't seem to be an answer to the problem for either party.  In my ideal world there would be full employment, no drugs of dependence or destruction, and everyone who wished to own their home could do so.

• Like 3

I have dealt with some absolute shocking landlords including the one who changed their mind which forced me to rehome (at the time I did not know how to counteract this and was terrified of becoming homeless, I went with it and rehomed Coffee upsetedly. I didn’t know my rights at the time. Then spent next few years saving as hard as I could to get my own place and never have to deal with flip flopping landlords and real estates ever again). There are shockers on both “sides”, but the difficulty in finding pet friendly rentals is real. Especially when time pressures are added into it.   Many people go about it the “right” way and still lose out or run out of time.  

I am watching the new rental bill in Victoria. It’s been adjourned to next Thursday. In it is the right to rent with pets to become the default of rental properties with landlords to opt out (with food reasons) rather than pets being an “opt in and beg for”. 

If it gets passed and becomes effective it will be interesting to see the surrender statistics afterwards. Accomodation forms a big percentage of the yearly surrender data in Victoria and it would be great to see that go down and reduce the number of dogs being rehomed. 

• Like 3

Thistle, I am a landlord and have allowed pets in properties that my husband and I own (in partnership with the banks).  Currently, one of our properties has 2 dachshunds, the other tenant in the same complex has a cat, and has just signed a lease for another 12 months which makes it 3 years, and our brand new townhouse has a family of 5 with a Golden Retriever, so we must be doing something right. 

I'm very wary about this new proposed legislation which, in all reality is more favourable towards the tenant.  For instance, the tenant is allowed to do minor alterations without the consent of the landlord.  What is defined as minor?  This proposed legislation together with the huge increases in Land Tax, and council rates in Victoria anyway will force investors to sell up their properties which in turn will create a shortage of rentals.  Then the Government will have issues in with people unable to rent because of lack of housing. 

We have been very fortunate with our tenants, because our agent does thorough checks on the tenants and so he should.  Most of the time, I wouldn't know my tenant if I bumped into him/her in the street, as I don't want to be involved with them.  That's what the agent gets paid for.

Renting with pets sucks.  

I've got an excellent 15 year rental history, great references from R/E agents, pet references, have 3 monthly inspections, rent always paid on time etc etc.  Yet researching local rental properties the past couple of months (this place has gone up for sale so if it sells, I'll get 60 days notice) 90% say NO PETS, 5% say nothing,  4% are Pets Negotiable (mixture of 'Small outside pet negotiable' or "pets negotiable'), and 1% is Pet Friendly.

If I could afford $400 plus a week (there's no way in hell I ever could)  there are two properties that are 'Pet Negotiable'.  The other one in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road is 'Pet friendly'.  Nothing around at my preferred price range allows pets from what I've seen so far.  I was just lucky to get this rental 3 years ago when I applied for it, even though it never mentioned pets.

I'd be happy to rent a run down old place (and have in the past), as long as it allowed pets.

I think it would be tough for landlords though too, but having a good property manager who thoroughly vets the applicants, follows up on references and does  quarterly rental inspections would be a must.

ETA:   I hope youre doing okay @ades17, and when you are ready, that you find the perfect dog for you.   DOL is a great place for resources if you are looking for a dog, there are some wonderful rescue/foster carers on here who can help, as well as Breeders.  :hug:

Edited by Animal House
  • Like 3

I can see both sides. On one hand, I do not think only people who own their own home or who have perfect rental records or who are prepared to make huge compromises on where they live should be allowed to have pets. The most vulnerable people in our society, who are the least able to negotiate these things, are probably those who would most benefit from pets.

On the other hand, when I was looking for a house sitter to mind my house for six months, there was no way I was letting a smelly, bird-murdering, furniture-shredding cat into my house. I'm a hypocrite...

10 hours ago, Selkie said:

I can see both sides. On one hand, I do not think only people who own their own home or who have perfect rental records or who are prepared to make huge compromises on where they live should be allowed to have pets. The most vulnerable people in our society, who are the least able to negotiate these things, are probably those who would most benefit from pets.

On the other hand, when I was looking for a house sitter to mind my house for six months, there was no way I was letting a smelly, bird-murdering, furniture-shredding cat into my house. I'm a hypocrite...

Problem is many in this demographic are who rspca get the calls about and the damage they do to their minds  can be terrible, it too has a name,' learned helplessness', so many of them don't even have scant knowledge about animals, just watch their tv show if you doubt that, how much of it goes to air without embarrassment beats me, as for the infamous Waterways Koala heist.   they haven't a ghost of a clue about the damage done to the people they traumatise in the process.  be interesting if there were statistics done of the percentage that suicide after a visit from them v the general population

On 16/08/2018 at 4:41 PM, Thistle the dog said:

I have dealt with some absolute shocking landlords including the one who changed their mind which forced me to rehome (at the time I did not know how to counteract this and was terrified of becoming homeless, I went with it and rehomed Coffee upsetedly. I didn’t know my rights at the time. Then spent next few years saving as hard as I could to get my own place and never have to deal with flip flopping landlords and real estates ever again). There are shockers on both “sides”, but the difficulty in finding pet friendly rentals is real. Especially when time pressures are added into it.   Many people go about it the “right” way and still lose out or run out of time.  

I am watching the new rental bill in Victoria. It’s been adjourned to next Thursday. In it is the right to rent with pets to become the default of rental properties with landlords to opt out (with food reasons) rather than pets being an “opt in and beg for”. 

If it gets passed and becomes effective it will be interesting to see the surrender statistics afterwards. Accomodation forms a big percentage of the yearly surrender data in Victoria and it would be great to see that go down and reduce the number of dogs being rehomed. 

This actually exists (or did exist in the ACT).  It did diddly for pet owners.  Real estates simply had the tick if you have pets box on all applications.  Guess which people would always be unsuccessful.  They didn't even ask the owners I don't think, you just had the application binned if you ticked pet owner.  They also made out that they could say "no pets" when the legislation was the home owner had to apply (actually give reasons) why they would not allow pets in the home.  This meant that home owners also came out worse for wear when they fronted the tribunal because the renter had pets and they were asked to produce their permit or face penalty.  It was crazy!  I didn't know about it either until I was taken to the tribunal by my landlord (I had written permission but he changed his mind).  Did he get a rude shock.  Mind you he had breached several things and was chasing extra money to cover the renovation he did in order to sell.  So the tribunal was not very sympathetic and after she was sick of listening to his complaints she simply asked, and where is your permit?  

On 11/08/2018 at 3:37 PM, persephone said:

Oh gosh :( 
 The dog is still registered/microchipped in the first owner's name , and if there is nothing written ..no receipt ...sorry , legally this dog is still 'hers'  :(

We can possibly assist in your dog friend search - you're going thru a rough patch, and I agree -a furred companion would be a lovely thing for your heart :):)

This is not actually correct.  Legally the dog is not still the old owners. There is clearly a contract that has been created and performed - the old owner offered the dog for sale, the new owner agreed to buy the dog and gave consideration for it - and the Dog handed over. All elements of a binding contract. There was also steps taken in reliance on the contract ie pet insurance, money outlaid. 

The fact there is no receipt is irrelevant.  The fact he’s still chipped in the old name is also not persuasive - transaction only took place 3 days ago and it is to be expected it will take a few days to put through paperwork etc.

This is completely analogous to buying a used car. You’ve paid for it and picked it up, change of ownership follows.  

(I know the OP has since said the paperwork has all been done). 

Personally - I’d keep the dog.  You acquired it in good faith and have bonded with it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As a dog owner and lover, its very easy to say "my dogs come first" but sometimes its not that easy.  When we were first looking at renting, I didn't have stable employment and neither did my wife, and the trying to find a dog-friendly place, things were looking grim.    As it is, I'm paying an extra $15 a week, for a house I didn't like, because the ones I did wouldn't accept Jasper.  I'm obviously happy with that deal, but for some others it can be tough.  We're in the process of buying again, so won't have that hassle, but again others don't have that luxury.

In regards to the OP's dilemma, I certainly sympathise.  The original owner sounds like one of "those" owners, rather flaky. 
At the end of the day, I would have asked for reimbursement of all your costs, and then given the dog back, but would have absolutely nothing further to do with the flake.

Interesting thread. Kudos to all who tried to decide what was in the dog's best interest. which can be difficult when we are only hearing one side of the story (not that I am saying there is any deception at all, just that we don't know how deeply the original owner felt).

Thank you for giving back the dog. The previous owner might sound flaky but how much of that was anxiety or panic over her dog's welfare? And you have done a good deed and most of your financial investment will be ready for a new dog when you find the right one!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know Ades17 ? 

I hope He/She is going okay because this situation really sucked !!! 

Having broken up with a partner, not allowing a dog whilst in that relationship, finding a dog to love that required to be rehomed,  then having to give up said dog after the relevant ownership transfers had taken place ...

that’s really emotional and stressful stuff.

Put this into a different perspective : that of adopting a child or having paid an incredulous amount for a surrogate to carry a child, whom ‘changed her mind’ after birth. 

I’d feel so sick not knowing if ‘after returning the dog’ it was in the better place than what the OP was genuinely offering.

Very murky/muddy situation. Would happen quite a lot with people changing there minds back and forth, if rehoming was absolutely necessary to begin with. I only hope that Ades17 has been able to move passed all of this and is looking towards a future with a new furry companion. 

• Like 2