RIP Genevieve

Genabee

I must confess I have been absent from DOL for a few years. Life really got in the way of my online social life! I also found my groove with my crazy pup and didn't have the same need to seek advice or research everything dog like I once did.

However at this time, it feels like the right thing to do, to honour Genevieve, as I shared so much of her puppyhood here. We started here (from finding her breeder) and so we will end here.

In May 2010 we bought home our beautiful 8 week old CKCS pup Genevieve. My husband bought her for me as he was going to be travelling extensively for work, leaving me by myself in our house for sustained periods of time. She was a handful and I am pretty sure I suffered some form of Post Natal Doggy Depression!!! She had a soft spot for electrical appliances and Tuffy Toys. Once she destroyed a pair of prescription glasses. Right to the very end she would bark at anything on wheels, door bells on TV shows (which I never understood because we have NEVER had a door bell in any of our homes!) and people that walked past our home but didn't stop to pat her! Affectionately referred to as the 'Friendliest dog in Glen Iris', she grew up to be a beautiful companion and fur sister to our two children who came along after her. She was there through the turbulent times of having babies, losing babies, career changes, interstate moves, moving houses, and on the list goes. She loved fiercely and not once did I ever see her retaliate or act untoward in anyway (and God knows my children have given her enough reasons to!). From the minute our children came in to the world she instinctively protected them. The bond she had with them was so special and it breaks my heart that they no longer have their 'Genabee' to play with.

On Wednesday evening as we were all coming in the door (at an unusually late hour for us), Genevieve managed to escape out and ran down our drive way to the street. My husband went after her. Unfortunately she took this to be a game and was running at lightening speed. She shot out in front of a car and the driver did not see until it was too late. She died on impact. Prior to this, Genevieve had never been sick a day in her life. We had never had cause to take her to the vet (other than her regular vacs/check ups) and she was in tip-top condition. Still very much a puppy in spirit and tragically her playfulness led to her demise.

Losing Genevieve has devastated our family. My children don't know life without a dog. Every night my 2 year old would hug and kiss her good night before he goes to bed. The past few nights have been incredibly painful as he wanders around trying to find her. Each day she would accompany my 7 year old as we walked her to school. Now she is confronting grief for the first time and planning a memorial/wake for her beloved pup. Genevieve was my 'furborn', the first baby I raised. She has taught us what unconditional love really is. So incredibly loyal and our evenings on the couch will never be the same again. We loved you more than you will ever know Gevo. We hope you didn't suffer and that you are now frolicking with Aurora, eating whatever you please at Rainbow Bridge.

Love from Mumma, Daddy, Maddie and Raffi

20.03.2010 - 08.08.2018

• Sad 4

So very sad.  My condolences to you all.  I hope when your heart has healed a little, it might be the right time to take in another lovely soul who will not replace Genevieve, but add to your life.

Sleep well, beautiful Genevieve, you certainly were loved.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your condolences. It means a lot.

Stellnme, I foresee we will most likely get another fury friend as some point in the not too distant future. As broken hearted as we are, I believe it is important for my children to grow up with a pet (well, a dog...). They have so much to offer and learn. Particularly little boys. Both of them have already started asking about another one (and brainstorming names! ).

• Like 1