How do I train my dog to sleep in his outdoor kennel?

My dog is  an 8 year old Sheltie and he grew up in the house. I have moved in with a family member who's allergic to dogs so he needs to live outside now. He's alright with being outside all day, he still gets his walks etc. I've just bought him a new kennel and he's never used a kennel before and I don't know how to get him to stay/sleep in it or even just like it in general. It's a large kennel and he can fit in it nicely. I've put his bed in there and a couple of his toys too. I've taught him that when I say "kennel" he goes into the kennel. I taught him that with treats and pats (positive reinforcement) but he won't stay in it. He tries to leave almost instantly and even if sometimes he stays in there for half a minute, once I go back inside he goes back to laying on the concrete in the wind. It's winter now and its really windy and cold often. How can I teach him to use the kennel?

• Like 1

Not sure how you get him to like it when he is used to being in the house, but here are a couple of tips

1. Dogs tend to like small enclosed places (caves) so maybe his kennel is too roomy.

2. You may not have sited the kennel in the place he likes. My dogs use the kennels that are close to and facing the back door so they can see who is coming and going in and out.

• Like 3

Could you put a soft crate in your bedroom so he can at least be in at night/overnight (carry him in so he doesn't roam the house, straight to the soft crate/bed kind of thing) as its very hard on an 8yo dog who's previously been an inside dog to be moved somewhere new, and then have to stay outside all the time.

Other than that, you could put his kennel close to the back door so he can see it, and who's coming/going, he's going to want to be able to be near you.  You can't make him stay in the kennel unless he wants to.

• Like 4

I once rented where dogs were not allowed in common areas ..so yes, carried my dog in ..he slept in my room only .
It is also a good plan for your dog to wear a coat/Tshirt  when being carried ..to stop hair drift ..then it's just a matter of you cleaning/laundering your stuff separately :)
At 8 ..your dog is used to being indoors, and near you ...it's a big ask to change abruptly ..new house/new rules entirely ...

• Like 2

I agree i would look into crating at night whilst its still winter & potentially teach outdoors at night in the warmer weather but this is a massive change for a companion breed that has enjoyed the indoors for 7 yrs .
Depends on the kennel you have brought ,what other safe areas out of the weather does the dog have that could also be changed to better suit the dog in the cold .

Training a dog to accept a kennel is not easy .my dogs love there crates but would never lay in a kennel

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for all the help. I had a discussion with everyone and turns out ones allergic and the others terrified so they wouldn't let me keep him in a crate indoors (apparently they wouldn't be able to sleep at night). I put his kennel under the pergola facing the windows so he can see in, and he's just started to use it :)

• Like 5
  • Sad 2