Tear Staining in Japanese Spitz

Agnes Ng

Hi all any idea how can I get rid of tear staining in Japanese spitz? My baby is now 11 weeks old and has quite bad tear stains :( anyone can recommend some methods that did work ? Or would this go off by when she teeth finish ? 

Go to the chemist, buy some Optrex eye wash and bathe your dog’s eyes with it (soak a cotton ball) every day until the staining disappears or is reduced.  After that, maintain the habit of bathing your dog’s eyes with the Optrex every few days.  I regularly give my dogs eye drops particularly on windy dusty days.  

Personally if its that bad at this age i would be contacting the breeder & going to the vet  to ensure there is no tear duct issue or eye infection .
Whilst we use eye gel to help lubricate from the chemist even with teething it shouldnt be that bad if you doing basic eye cleaning .

Some dogs stain more than others.  My first puppies (Maltese) had shocking staining when they were puppies.  

I was pretty ignorant of the causes and it was so bad that when I was out with them one day, a little girl said to her mother, “They have blood all over their faces.”   :eek::eek:  Out of the mouths of babes . . . . . . 

With the regular use of Optrex eye wash, the staining disappeared completely on the male and became negligible on the female.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...