A 2nd Dog?

JimmyTheHuman

Hi there, we rescued our dog through this forum in early 2007. He was in ACT and we south of Melb. Another member offered to take him as carry on luggage, wife met this generous lady airport, dropped her at her gig and brought our adoptee home.

Jax is almost 12 now and he has been the best dog ever. Seriously well mannered and good natured and very obedient - my kids treat him like a sibling. 

He has had no medical issues other than some lumps removed earlier this year - now he has had a knee ligament and needs a knee reco. He is going in next week.

He seems like he is going to live forever, but we know he wont. We arent a two dog family, but were thinking maybe a small dog to keep him company, a new dog could learn from him and it might help to keep him young?

I know it varies with every dog, but what is the general consensus on this types of thing?

I wouldn’t even consider it until well after his knee surgery and then access what limitations the dog may face and whether another dog is practical in that case..

Rehab after such surgery will require dedication ,get past that stage with could be a good 6 months 

• Like 4

1. Energy level is more important than size.  I'd look for a mellow rescue. 

2. While most dogs are social, an old dog who has been an only dog for many years may not appreciate company.  Best if you can test him with a companion before making a commitment. 

3.  Get the dog YOU want.  It will be with you for many years after Jax is gone. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

While most dogs are social, an old dog who has been an only dog for many years may not appreciate company

Very True ! 
he is set in his ways ..has all his humans trained 'just so'...  and may not want his peaceful life interrupted by another dog in his territory  :(

gee..he was stunning as a youngster :) took this from 2007 post of yours .

image.thumb.jpeg.556f75d8505f866427c1f14a9dbc2e8d.jpeg

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

He is home now for 3 days...he was in pain and pretty unhappy for a day or two...we're home with him in shifts this week. He is frustrated with being confined and the cone on his head...but he will lick his staples out in a heart beat :) 

Also starting to walk on his repaired leg. Back to the Vet for fentanil patch and bandage off today and he was growling and barking at the vet, he has never growled or barked at anyone in his life...he does not like the vet! Had to have two sedatives just to remove the bandages :)  and even then he resisted the sedatives (max dose) for over and hour and my wife had to do it. 

I dont think this is the best time for to start figuring out pecking orders with new dogs...we might look into it again next year...reading these posts and thinking about it, the more i think it'll probably cause jealously and dislodgement - he's earned all of the attention and his respected spot in our pack, we'll just be happy with that for now :) 

• Like 9

Kudos to you @JimmyTheHuman for making a decision based on the dog you see in front of you right now.  :):)   From what I've read when I thought my boy was going to have to have a cruciate tear dealt with surgically, you'll be busy enough with your lovely lad over the next few months.

In case you haven't already discovered it, there is an incredibly helpful and supportive Facebook group called Canine Cruciate Recovery ...has members from all over the world, and an amazing amount of information in the files, plus tips from experience from people with all sorts of dogs   https://www.facebook.com/groups/13131148758  should get you there. 

• Like 2